Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 45,705 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly considering moving from Texas to Wisconsin. While I've got family in both CA and WI, I was raised all my youth in the Austin, TX suburbs and currently live in downtown Houston.

My g/f (of nearly 6 years) and I would most likely move to the southern WI area, in the Madison-Janesville area. She is a teacher, and I have just earned a graduate degree. Jobs in my profession are in very short supply, with there being many more people in my profession than there are jobs available, especially for a new grad here in TX. While prospects are thin here and finding a job could really take awhile, I have an interview for a position in WI and we'd likely move if I received an offer. part of me is kind of sick of TX and I've got the feeling I want to get out, at least for a little while.

I'd really appreciate it if some people from Texas or the south could share their relocation experiences...beyond just "it is cold," lol. weather-wise, I think I'd prefer staying indoors during the winter vs. staying indoors during the summer because of the 95-100 degree temps and 90%-100% humidity.

btw, what's up with nobody having fences around their homes in WI? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM

104 posts, read 293,795 times
I grew up in Wisconsin (37 years) and have since moved away. BECAUSE i grew up there in the cold, that is the reason i moved Madison area is very pretty~I would give it a try, what do you have to lose right? I think its great to experience other areas!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,378 times
I currently live in Arizona and can't wait to move back to rural Wisconsin where I grew up. Being outside and dealing with cold is simple, put more clothes on. There's only so much you can take off if you're hot. Unfortunately it doesn't even get that cold in Wisconsin anymore, so snow doesn't get very deep and doesn't stick around long enough to enjoy. Get a place in the country with some land so you can get more enjoyment outside during all seasons.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 AM

104 posts, read 293,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I currently live in Arizona and can't wait to move back to rural Wisconsin where I grew up. Being outside and dealing with cold is simple, put more clothes on. There's only so much you can take off if you're hot. Unfortunately it doesn't even get that cold in Wisconsin anymore, so snow doesn't get very deep and doesn't stick around long enough to enjoy. Get a place in the country with some land so you can get more enjoyment outside during all seasons.
I am also currently living in Arizona and moving in four months I dont mind the heat here so much, what i do mind is not being able to get out of it all...there are people wherever i go it seems~unless you travel a few hours. I miss all the lakes, the green. We are moving in four months...i cannot wait.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I am also currently living in Arizona and moving in four months I dont mind the heat here so much, what i do mind is not being able to get out of it all...there are people wherever i go it seems~unless you travel a few hours. I miss all the lakes, the green. We are moving in four months...i cannot wait.
Back to WI?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 51,283 times
I'm a former native of Wisconsin,love the scenic vistas,appreciate the people, but Winter is barely doable anymore and thats most anywhere in the state now. Temps and snow accumulations are on the extreme.truly weird!We went 20 some years in a fairly mild seaon,no more it seems
Please read on,and if you will not have to drive for work,some of this will not apply.

The part about no lasting cold seasons and little snow is bogus, in fact the weather has turned on itself in WI,especially the recent 'vinter' times.
Having lived in Madison from 2003-08,can tell you personally about the 'brrr' cold effect you will be soon to exp.! Mid November to late April is a no mans land crapshoot as to snow,ice and the fact the counties could care less right now with bankrupt budgets. I drove through the hell of winter every night,from Madison to Waupaca. Plows stop moving snow after 6pm unless ordered out by the State Patrol in an emergency
Drifts as high as your bumper accumulate within an hour,the ice alone was enough to derail your car into the ditch.Ever drive on deep rutted ice? Well, it is not for the squeamish. Black ice is everywhere,some streches of the freeway around Madison alone routinely account for massive amounts of spun out and over turned vehicles. In 2007 the National Guard responded to the worst storm in 100 years, 900 cars stranded just south of Madisons city line,blinding snow,semis overturned in the ditches,snow mobile clubs were ordered to bring out their sleds,transporting the guard and supplies to storm victims
My son who drives a 85 mile stretch from Madison to Platteville,WI said 2009 season was just plain evil for drivers. Very close in comparison to our last yr there.
Go for the job definitely.and anywhere in WI should be safer crime wise than Houston,just be ready,really!
Oh,the bright side Madison is the shining star of the Midwest,
get in with the educated crowd here and you'll see
2 billion dollar construction upgrade at the UW,this town rocks

Janesville is the pits really,kinda hard core and way less educated than many areas,GM has a massive layoff situation going on there,plant is closing,thousands will be on the dole

Milwaukee? Stay away from the inner city period!!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXpackerbacker View Post
btw, what's up with nobody having fences around their homes in WI? lol
Ha! Ha! I wondered the opposite when we moved to Arizona... "Why does everyone have fences around their homes?" I think it is just a cultural thing b/c of historic open range and it just spread from there, whereas Wisconsin has never had open range--the farmers had to pen their cattle/cows. (the fence issue has hit home now that we live in open range country. Keep out of thy yard cattle!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I currently live in Arizona and can't wait to move back to rural Wisconsin where I grew up. Being outside and dealing with cold is simple, put more clothes on. There's only so much you can take off if you're hot.
That is my same sentiment with the heat! I am blessed, though. Moved out of horrible Sierra Vista and to an isolated area in the mountains with PondeBullBoxer31 and creeks and lucked out with a house that is incredibly cool (temperature wise, that is). Still, I dream of the day where we move back to the northwoods!

Back to the OP: I say go for it and keep an open mind. A lot of people dismiss the upper Midwest--hell, the entire Midwest--as being too boring, too flat, and not culturally aware (oh, and too cold). Really, it is quite wonderful. I have always loved visiting Madison. I have moved a lot for my husband's career, and I like being able to be a long-term tourist in new areas. Consider yourself one... (unless you absolutely fall in love and live there until you are an old man ) and enjoy the adventure life gives!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhFacts View Post
I'm a former native of Wisconsin,love the scenic vistas,appreciate the people, but Winter is barely doable anymore and thats most anywhere in the state now. Temps and snow accumulations are on the extreme.truly weird!We went 20 some years in a fairly mild seaon,no more it seems
Please read on,and if you will not have to drive for work,some of this will not apply.

The part about no lasting cold seasons and little snow is bogus, in fact the weather has turned on itself in WI,especially the recent 'vinter' times.
Having lived in Madison from 2003-08,can tell you personally about the 'brrr' cold effect you will be soon to exp.! Mid November to late April is a no mans land crapshoot as to snow,ice and the fact the counties could care less right now with bankrupt budgets. I drove through the hell of winter every night,from Madison to Waupaca. Plows stop moving snow after 6pm unless ordered out by the State Patrol in an emergency
Drifts as high as your bumper accumulate within an hour,the ice alone was enough to derail your car into the ditch.Ever drive on deep rutted ice? Well, it is not for the squeamish. Black ice is everywhere,some streches of the freeway around Madison alone routinely account for massive amounts of spun out and over turned vehicles. In 2007 the National Guard responded to the worst storm in 100 years, 900 cars stranded just south of Madisons city line,blinding snow,semis overturned in the ditches,snow mobile clubs were ordered to bring out their sleds,transporting the guard and supplies to storm victims
Funny. In Central WI near Eau Claire this year the last snow was in Feb and there were days in the 80's in April That sure is unbearable

Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 PM

16 posts, read 51,283 times
Yeah,that may be true about Eau Claire that particular week,but overall snow issues were a bear,including when we visited in December,up by Hudson,Riverfalls
I agree with the prior post about Madison,it is a wonderful oasis, Iowa really is completely boring,Illinois is rundown and a nowheres ville with superfund sites galore
WI is the beacon,along with Eastern MN,mind the winters

Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 PM

113 posts, read 309,200 times
I lived in South Carolina until I was 30 and now live just outside of Madison after a stint in Michigan, where the climates are similar. We love it in the upper Midwest. There are some things not to like, but overall it will be good to try it out.
The Winters can be very cold. It will be colder than anything you can ever imagine, but, you can get used to it. In my four years up here we had 1 cold winter, two very snowy winters (over 100 inches) and one not so bad winter. This year the last snow was in February. If you live in or near a city travel won't be nearly as bad as some describe (I am speaking on my Michigan experience, how good are they at clearing the roads in Madison?)
The trade off for this is awesome summers. You can actually do things in the summer. In SC, from May to Sept I could not do anything in the middle of the day. It's soooo hot and humid. It can get humid at times, but it is nothing like SC, and is probably light years away from the hell that is the Texas summer (I've spent quite a bit of time in TX/LA). It just depends on what you can tolerate. I can't say I love the winter, but I have adapted and tolerate it much better now. I grill in the winter and we have taken up snowboarding.
The people here are also very nice. Everyone in Wisconsin has gone out of their way to be nice to us. It's been amazing. And we came from the city that is annually named the friendliest in the US (Charleston, SC).
There are people who will say that it's hard to make friends, but I have found that is true everywhere. If you sit around and wait for friends to come to you they will never appear. It took me a year, but I made great friends in MI once I started going out more.
In general I think it's cool to experience different areas of the country. I will probably move back down south in the end, but I like where I am living now and my wife and I have loved our experience as midwesterners.
I don't get the thing about the fences, either. It was murder finding a place with an actual fence for our dogs. They all use this invisible fence thing, which I don't trust. It's all about building houses on small lots. Fences make the lots seem small. If no one has a fence it seems more open. I don't know why it would be specific to the Midwest though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin