Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:23 PM

108 posts, read 386,221 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend are looking to relocate. We both have pretty much the same experience and background (our resumes are damn near identical as I was the one that prepared hers). We work in the medical field which is primarily female. I have been applying to positions for over a year without any bites. My girlfriend has only started applying about 3 weeks ago and already has a couple of interviews lined up.
Me, nada
So just out of curiousity I had her re-apply to some of the same positions I applied to. IF she gets calls for interviews would I have a case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
None whatsoever. Also why would you sue a potential employer, that would prevent you from EVER getting a job.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM

so that isn't viewed as discrimination?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
You have zero basis for a lawsuit. You aren't exactly equal, and sometimes it's just being in the right place at the right time.

Maybe they don't like your name. Maybe they had a bad experience with someone who went to the same high school as you. Maybe they only look at every third resume they get on Tuesday, and every fifth one that comes in on Thursday. None of which are discriminatory

You'd never in a million years be able to prove discrimination absed on what you've presented here.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
How do you have identical experience?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
Me and my girlfriend are looking to relocate. We both have pretty much the same experience and background (our resumes are damn near identical as I was the one that prepared hers). We work in the medical field which is primarily female. I have been applying to positions for over a year without any bites. My girlfriend has only started applying about 3 weeks ago and already has a couple of interviews lined up.
Me, nada
So just out of curiousity I had her re-apply to some of the same positions I applied to. IF she gets calls for interviews would I have a case?
Would never work. If you actually were the only male already in a job and got fired, it might be good to talk to a lawyer.

However, if you're just applying and haven't gotten anything yet, your time is best spent on applying to other industries. Even a lawyer consultation fee would be a waste of money in this case.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You also have no idea at all if other men have been given interviews or employment. Imagine how ridiculous you would look if it turns out they have been.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How do you have identical experience?
worked in the same company, same position, same amount of time
different hours

thanks for all the insight as well everyone, just wanted to get some other point of views on the situation

Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
worked in the same company, same position, same amount of time
different hours
Did you go to the same high schools? College? Same major? Did you both work for all of the same companies doing the same jobs your entire career, starting from when you were 16? Do you ahve the same volunteer work, etc.?

Face it, you are not identical, and as I mentioned before, it might just be that they don't like your name.

You have nothing to sue for.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM

20 posts, read 51,773 times
You don't have a case. It would be extremely hard to prove your case because so many factors go into selecting applicants. Be glad that you didn't waste your time going to interviews only to be rejected because less qualified, female applicants were selected. It happens all the time especially in fields such as computer science, science, and engineering in which the vast majority of employees and applicants are male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment