Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 05:38 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some PT work-I am a VERY organized person and could be an assistant

I also love pictures and thought about organizing photos for those people who have them in drawers or boxes-Mine of course are all in photo albums dated etc... Both my kids have scrapbooks from preschool to HS

I teach preschool PT
Also do a little report on the side that takes little time- Income has really dropped with recession
Kids are older now and I need some more work/hours/ money-doesn't everybody??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 07:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
My next door neighbor got a film scanner and started advertising in township newspapers and local listings for being able to turn old film negatives into digital pictures. She's retired in her 60's but makes some good side money doing it.

Maybe that's an option?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
My next door neighbor got a film scanner and started advertising in township newspapers and local listings for being able to turn old film negatives into digital pictures. She's retired in her 60's but makes some good side money doing it.

Maybe that's an option?
Thanks for the idea. I was considering doing something similar but scanning the actual photographs and placing them onto a CD. I have no clue as to how to do this with negatives.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks for the idea. I was considering doing something similar but scanning the actual photographs and placing them onto a CD. I have no clue as to how to do this with negatives.

It's sooo simple that you'd be amazed. You need to get a scanner than can scan film negatives. They aren't too expensive.. maybe $150. They work and look just like regular scanners, but have the option to scan film negatives.

Usually you place the negatives into a negatives-holder contraption, and place it on the scanner bed. And hit the button. The rest is just like using a normal scanner.

Here's the first one that I came across via google:

Amazon.com: Canon*CanoScan*8800F*Color*Film/Negative/Photo*Scanner*(2168B002): Electronics

But definitely do some research before picking one up.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
It's sooo simple that you'd be amazed. You need to get a scanner than can scan film negatives. They aren't too expensive.. maybe $150. They work and look just like regular scanners, but have the option to scan film negatives.

Usually you place the negatives into a negatives-holder contraption, and place it on the scanner bed. And hit the button. The rest is just like using a normal scanner.

Here's the first one that I came across via google:

Amazon.com: Canon*CanoScan*8800F*Color*Film/Negative/Photo*Scanner*(2168B002): Electronics

But definitely do some research before picking one up.
Thanks for the info. I will look into this. My concern with running a picture scanning business is that people may be reluctant to give me their actual prized photos for the scanning but the negatives may be easier. If this is feasible, I could just do both types of scanning.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:57 AM

17 posts, read 29,213 times
Fast growing newspaper in southern cook and northern will counties looking for an advertising sales person.
An outside sales position selling to Businesses within but not limited to the communities of Steger, Monee, Crete, South Chicago Heights, Chicago Heights, Sauk Village, University Park, Park Forest and Beecher.
And, not limited to the state of Illinois.
- The opportunity for you to choose, develop and manage your own territory
- Uncapped commission.
- An extraordinary newspaper that sells itself.
Who We Are:
Southland Voice is one of the fastest growing publishing companies in Illinois. Because of our impressive growth-trend, even in a down economy, we are looking to add to our team of sales representatives. This opportunity focuses on selling advertisement space to local businesses.
You Are:
- An energetic sales person looking to take the next step in your career by meeting customer needs.
- A sales person who wants your own territory and the ability to make good money for your hard work.
- Proficient in talking to people.
- Reliable and able to meet deadlines.
Your Duties:
- Establish new accounts by planning and organizing daily work schedule to call on potential customers and obtain orders.
- Adjust content of sales presentations by studying the type of customer or prospect.
- Keep management informed by recording sales efforts.
- Monitor competition by gathering current marketplace information.
What You Must Know How to Do:
- You must know how to prospect, including cold calls
- You must know how to build value in the sales process by understanding your client’s needs.
- You must be able to present our product to client prospects in person and through on-line and phone meeting formats.
Preferred Qualifications:
- Sales experience in business-to-business environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Results-oriented mindset, decisive “get it done” mentality.
Compensation & Benefits:
The position offers a competitive, uncapped commission structure. Our employees also enjoy not having to punch a time clock, working at home, setting their salary goals and making their own hours.
Interested?
If you are interested in submitting your application, send an email to I_hva_dream@yahoo.com

Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
Quote:

Maybe that's an option?

Great idea- do you print each picture of do they scan to a flash drive or what?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Create packages and pricing models for both. I would probably use a lightscribe capable dvd/cd burner to look professional than a flash drive or a regular burned cd. But definitely offer prints too. The more you do, the better.

The problem is that printing requires a decent amount of expertise. Calibrating colors between computer and printer requires a small amount of technical knowledge.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Create packages and pricing models for both. I would probably use a lightscribe capable dvd/cd burner to look professional than a flash drive or a regular burned cd. But definitely offer prints too. The more you do, the better.

The problem is that printing requires a decent amount of expertise. Calibrating colors between computer and printer requires a small amount of technical knowledge.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how sophisticated I can get as I don't have technical training nor the proper equipment to offer prints or anything outside the conventional CD burner. I am looking into other career avenues so this particular idea may not be the right fit for me.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,919 times
The way the economy and the job market is in Vegas right now your best bet is to find a niche all your own and figure out how you can capitalize off of it. Be creative and think outside of the box that is how I keep my business IA Graphics and Printing afloat. Figure out what your talents and resources are, how much time you can commit to your new endeavor and then formulate a plan and get out and start networking, foward motomn will always lead to better things!
Good Luck!
EKN
IA Graphics and Printing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment