Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times

Advertisements

Canada doesn't suffer food shortages because the people eat 1/2 or less of what a typical American does!!

Visit any Canadian city all you see are fit people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:32 AM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Can I point that Canada doesn't have an illegal immigrant problem, and they aren't suffering food shortages.
Canada does have an illegal immigration problem, just not on the level of the US.

Not to mention that 41% of Canadians are first or 2nd generation immigrants. Canada's refugee program is much larger than the US so many people who are in the US illegally would have had a good shot of getting into Canada on refugee status (particularly Central Americans).

Some of that information is covered in Immigration Policy - The Canadian Encyclopedia

As far as "food shortages", what food shortages? We have enough food, just unequal distribution. If you want to see real food shortages, kick all the illegals out.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
I worked in HR at a place and we hired illegals. I mean, we didn't know they were illegal when we hired them. Here's how it went:

Applicant would come in and apply to work mowing the grass on the golf course. We could not legally ask him if he was legal or illegal worker during the interview.

We would hire him and pay $9-12/hour (this was 15 years ago).

He would present us with his I-9 documents - social security card/drivers license. We'd copy it. We were not legally allowed to make any determination about these documents being real or fake.

The guy would start work.

We would call the Social Security Administration to verify his social security number. You can only legally do this AFTER the person has been hired because you can't use resident status as a determination of hiring as it's considered discriminatory. The SSA would either say, "It's a match" or "It's not a match." If it wasn't a match we could not fire the employee based on that information as it was illegal to do so.

So, there we were with our illegal employee. Once a year we received a list of all of our illegals from SSA. We were required to ask them once a year for new documentation and they would give us that - sometimes their names changed!

This is just how it was. The laws were set up to legally allow businesses to have illegals on the payroll. We never never never had Americans apply to mow the golf course - ever.

I am thinking some of these laws might have changed along the way as this was 15 years ago. I know they were able to finally get all legal hispanics hired over the course of years and by word of mouth through relatives already working that they needed to be legal. None of these guys have English and just looking at them you would think they are illegal, but they aren't. They are legal. Still there are no non-hispanics applying to mow the golf course even though it pays above minimum wage.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Canada doesn't suffer food shortages because the people eat 1/2 or less of what a typical American does!!

Visit any Canadian city all you see are fit people.
I'm from Canada originally, I've only live in the US five years and this is categorically false.

As for Canadas illegal immigrant problem, it actually doesn't exist. Canada does indeed deport illegals, or if they can't gives them asylum. Yes Canada has far too many immigrants. My old town got overrun with Sri Lankans... It was a nice town, now its a dump. Pretty much what happens in many immigrant towns over here.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I'm from Canada originally, I've only live in the US five years and this is categorically false.

As for Canadas illegal immigrant problem, it actually doesn't exist. Canada does indeed deport illegals, or if they can't gives them asylum. Yes Canada has far too many immigrants. My old town got overrun with Sri Lankans... It was a nice town, now its a dump. Pretty much what happens in many immigrant towns over here.

I also dislike how immigrants all flock to the same town. Immigrants are welcome but I wish they'd spread around.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I also dislike how immigrants all flock to the same town. Immigrants are welcome but I wish they'd spread around.
I feel the opposite way. If they spread out more it would mean more towns get ruined and infested with crime.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
No American wants to do the jobs the illegals are doing for the money they are getting paid. I bet even if the jobs paid minimum wage most unemployed Americans wouldn't want to do it. I would be hesitant.
If there were no illegal immigration to begin with, the jobs would be competitively waged just as other undesirable jobs. Do you honestly think that agricultural farm working is less desirable than garbage collecting? Last I check, we have no shortages of garbage collectors because those positions are competitive in terms of wages. Don't even start with the $4 head of lettuce nonsense as that would be far cheaper than the indirect costs of over crowded schools, ERs, public assistance and bilingual programs for those who refuse to learn English.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Mega dittos Chateress. You get it!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
I agree with Chateress as well (I would rep you but it's telling me I need to spread around the love first). This may be the first time SouthBound47 and I are on the same page.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,389,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If there were no illegal immigration to begin with, the jobs would be competitively waged just as other undesirable jobs. Do you honestly think that agricultural farm working is less desirable than garbage collecting? Last I check, we have no shortages of garbage collectors because those positions are competitive in terms of wages. Don't even start with the $4 head of lettuce nonsense as that would be far cheaper than the indirect costs of over crowded schools, ERs, public assistance and bilingual programs for those who refuse to learn English.
Given I don't live in an illegal immigrant-appeasing state like California I'd be much more affected by $4 heads of lettuce than the reduction in indirect public costs. But I agree with the rest of your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment