Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM

11,313 posts, read 18,919,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
We should have teachers saying that it's OK to become a plumber, an electrician, a mason, or even - heaven forbid (because the unions hate the military) join the Army.
I actually agree with this, and it goes for some parents as well. This issue is nothing new though, I knew someone growing up with "professional" parents who pushed him to be doctor, lawyer, business, etc. but he was very good "hobby-wise" at fixing cars and could've had a good future at it. He graduated college, did awful at med school and midway through that killed himself. No, I'm not making this up, very tragic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The difference was...... Back then there was a shortage of workers... Not the same today.
If that's true why was there the extreme exploitation of workers that led to child labor laws and unions. I'd say the "shortage" was really in the 50s and 60s when people had all the perks and you even had a degree of "overunionization".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM

5,035 posts, read 7,240,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I agree, the government keeps saying that everyone needs a degree - so nearly everyone makes that their goal. The only problem is that not everyone is smart enough to pull it off. So what do the colleges do? Well, seeing as the government is giving people money to go to college, they've figured that they can actually make money by dumbing down admission requirements, but spend more on union salaries. The byproduct of dumbing down the admission requirements is that you get dumber students. Now, it would look really bad if a college flunked 1/2 of those they admit, so they make it easier for someone who can barely function in everyday life to get a diploma.

We should have teachers saying that it's OK to become a plumber, an electrician, a mason, or even - heaven forbid (because the unions hate the military) join the Army.

There is nothing wrong with going to college, it was my goal, but I think I could have done without it. Heck, I wish I served this country in the military instead of going to college - I would have probably learned a heck of a lot more.
Unions hate the military? Glenn Beck tell you that or is this something you came up with all on your own? You're right about one thing-the military would have given you more than whatever time you spent in junior college.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,747,418 times
Companies use to value employees. They promoted from within. On the job training, mentoring was the norm. That’s what is missing today, replaced with useless college degreed clones that can’t do anything, but they have a piece of paper that says they are schmart.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,046 times
Back then we in other countries would be astonished at how articulate American kids were when being interviewed on tv etc - now? oh please, they can barely string two words together in a coherent fashion.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:20 PM

11,313 posts, read 18,919,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Back then we in other countries would be astonished at how articulate American kids were when being interviewed on tv etc - now? oh please, they can barely string two words together in a coherent fashion.
Whereas now those in other countries are astonished at how crappy the American gov't and business treats the "common man" compared to their societies when it comes to health care, balancing work and life needs, etc.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But earlier than that, many of our forebears were the very same kind uneducated immigrants (this was long before immigration quotas so they weren't technically illegal) who poured into America to work the unskilled jobs in steel mills and coal mines and railroads and factories. It's not a new thing.
And that did lead to problems - there's no good reason to repeat the mistakes of the past. Just like slavery was once the norm - and a great way for some to have their very cheap labor, there's no reason to do it again - even though the elites would very much like to own slaves again.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,757,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's a book?
Well, like, you know, it's like all these words are like packed onto like paper pages and like, you know, bound by a like cover. I mean, you know, I seen a lot of them but you know their so like old. Yeah, like I read a lot but I'm into like those books I can listen to in my car while my GPS shows me how to get to the fast food place down the block. Cool, you know.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
n the 50's and early 60's mnay actaully went for high school to midle class jobs. That was still a era of when companies invested years to bring a employeee from nothg in skills to whatever he /she could achieve. But as more and more went to trainig or college because the new miidle class jobs had changed it wasn;t working. Now days many of thsoe same jobs require trianing and theyare not at the pay scale as far as value they were because many are not needed i thsi age of computers and automation.Those jobs are really minuium skills and opportunity jobs now.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:43 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,721,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Unions hate the military? Glenn Beck tell you that or is this something you came up with all on your own? You're right about one thing-the military would have given you more than whatever time you spent in junior college.
Heh, I did fine, and at a top 20 ranked school for my program. Graduated with honors, etc.

But nice to see that your disdain for the military (alluding that folks in the military are stupider than those who couldn't finish a junior college diploma) is matched only by the unions' hatred of it.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:07 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,778,676 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/Figure01-earnings_by_degree.gif (broken link)

Clearly getting a bachelors degree does pay off. The income gain and much lower unemployment figures show that.

Not sure where all of these college graduates who cant write or do math are. Because I simply dont see them. We have a huge amount of HS grads who enroll in college, and then drop out. Statistics show that 25% of college freshmen drop out within the first year, and 50% of those who enroll in college will not graduate within 6 years.

If there is a 50% drop out rate, clearly it is not as easy to get a degree as most of you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment