Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,369,291 times

Advertisements

A bachelors and masters degree in psychology is essentially worthless. A PhD is worthwhile and would allow you to develop a prominent patient base. Most psychiatrists rarely if ever engage in counseling or talk therapy. They just manage medication and see their patients for 15 minute visits. Most psychiatrists actually work alongside psychologists because the psychiatrists don't want to do the talk therapy.

You might think 9 years is a long time but there are countless people in their 30's and 40's who are unemployed and would have loved to have gotten a PhD, M.D., or a D.O. in their late 20's to early 30's and have job security the rest of their lives. You have to think about the long term. Yeah, your friend with her generic business degree might be able to get a job making 60K now but she won't have job security in her 50's when companies lay off people and discriminate upon age.

I remember what it was like to be 21 and think wow medical school is so much schooling but after having gone through it, you realize it wasn't so bad and the time issue is the least of your concerns. The point is anything worthwhile takes time.

It's supply and demand! The reality is there are so many bachelors and masters degrees in psychology because they are easy to attain. There is a reason most don't get the PhD, it's because it requires more work and time which many are unwilling to engage in.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-31-2010 at 04:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
A bachelors and masters degree in psychology is essentially worthless. A PhD is worthwhile and would allow you to develop a prominent patient base. Most psychiatrists rarely if ever engage in counseling or talk therapy. They just manage medication and see their patients for 15 minute visits. Most psychiatrists actually work alongside psychologists because the psychiatrists don't want to do the talk therapy.
This true to an extent (I have only a BS and MS in Psych, but I'm under 40 and make six figures). If you want to work with patients (or be a college prof.), then, yes, get that PhD. Or maybe even consider a PharmD if you are not prepared to go the medical school route in full force.

But if you are interested in doing research, as opposed to therapy, a Masters level is likely more beneficial, at least when starting out. For most research positions, a Masters looks great on your CV, but a having PhD can price you out of a lot of jobs - some places will assume they can't afford you and that can actually hurt your chances at landing a position.

I think what is important is not just getting the degree itself, but having done a little homework on the field that you want to enter once you leave school for "the real world." One has to know what level of education is appropriate and expected for the field they want to enter, and ensure that they leave school with the commensurate degree and training. I think too many kids go to college, get a degree and then go, "now what?" Or find out that they do not have the degree they need to pursue the job they want. One has to think a little more long term and do a bit of advance planning.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,102,436 times
I have a friend who has a B.S in Psychology. She's 25 now and still working at the pizza place she's worked at since she was 16. It's the only job she's ever had. Living back home with her parents. She told me she wants to go to grad school to get her Masters, in Psychology, but she isn't quite sure what exactly she wants to do with it career-wise.

Agree with others saying that a PhD is a better choice...but that's only my opinion. And this is only one example.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM

11,362 posts, read 19,038,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

You might think 9 years is a long time but there are countless people in their 30's and 40's who are unemployed and would have loved to have gotten a PhD, M.D., or a D.O. in their late 20's to early 30's and have job security the rest of their lives. You have to think about the long term. Yeah, your friend with her generic business degree might be able to get a job making 60K now but she won't have job security in her 50's when companies lay off people and discriminate upon age.

I remember what it was like to be 21 and think wow medical school is so much schooling but after having gone through it, you realize it wasn't so bad and the time issue is the least of your concerns. The point is anything worthwhile takes time.

It's supply and demand! The reality is there are so many bachelors and masters degrees in psychology because they are easy to attain. There is a reason most don't get the PhD, it's because it requires more work and time which many are unwilling to engage in.
My sister was one of those people at that age, and she's glad she took the effort (though having a mentor who pushed her a little helped). Just turned 40, she is a tenured professor of Psych (and a dept. chair) and sees patients on the side. Just wanted to give an example........

Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,139,305 times
The problem with degrees like Psychology is it's hard to point to concrete results. You can't point to a Profit/Loss statement or a working electrical circuit that you designed.

Before employers spend the enormous amount of time and money it takes to hire somebody, they want to have a good idea what they're going to get out of their investment.

Given the historical budget defecits and the current political climate, I would not put all my eggs in one basket and bank on job security from colleges or other government institutions...

Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM

543 posts, read 3,083,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
I guess you believe every statistic you read huh? Your degree is not always the end all be all of what you make. And l worked in Finance in case you missed that in my post.
I don't know what working in finance means. What was the job title? What does it take to get the job? High GPA? Top 20 University? The fact average earning of liberal arts majors is 30-something k (I read somewhere) shows that you have to stand out from the rest to get a job that pays better like yours...so how do you stand out?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,235,394 times
Question:

Are you a good writer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba-vs View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum

I graduated with a B.S. in Psychology from UCSD at the age of 19. During my studies there I had the chance to work in the labs of a few prominent doctors in the field (working with autism & drugs/alcohol abuse) and was so convinced that I would go the whole 9 yards to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology. Things have changed since then, going to school for such a long period does not seem very practical and the financial prospect seems disheartening, at least for the next decade or so.

I took some time off to travel (scuba diving!) since then and now I'm back in the States at 21, married, and working a $9 an hour job as a food server in a retirement home. It has taken me a while to snap out of denial and muster up the courage to finally admit that I do not have the most marketable degree. My best friend on the other hand chose a business major that landed her a $60,000/year job in San Francisco. I must say that I rather envy her and wish that I went through that route instead.

Does anyone have any pointer as to how I can market myself with my degree? My husband and I are moving to South Lake Tahoe within the next month just to get away from it all and rediscover ourselves. We're not exactly in a pinch for money at the moment but I would definitely like to start a career in... well, anything that can make some bank or at least is worth my bachelor's degree. I greatly appreciate your time to read this and any form of feedback whatsoever.

Boy, it feels good to be able to open up

Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 52,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
She didn't say she wanted to go back to school like everyone is saying she should. So this is an avenue to look into. I would agree about going back to school but that wasn't her question. I'm pretty sure she knows that already since that's what she originally planned to do in the first place. I think everyone should go back to school and advance their degree but it's not in everyone's cards so there's always a plan b, c and d to look into.
Thank you kindly for understanding my post, Be Happy. And thank you so much for everybody's replies. I am indeed not planning on going back to school, at least not this instance. I do understand that jobs in the line of social work do not pay very much, and at this point I am ready to explore my options beyond the human services line of work. The question is, what choices do I have, and how can I market myself?

Olive1982, CaliTerp07, and Tober138, I am excited to read your replies and finding out about how you worked with your degree. With your permission, I would like to ask some questions via PM, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Question:

Are you a good writer?
I believe that I am. Writing and literature has always been my forte and hobby.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I have a friend who has a B.S in Psychology. She's 25 now and still working at the pizza place she's worked at since she was 16. It's the only job she's ever had. Living back home with her parents. She told me she wants to go to grad school to get her Masters, in Psychology, but she isn't quite sure what exactly she wants to do with it career-wise.

Agree with others saying that a PhD is a better choice...but that's only my opinion. And this is only one example.

Unfortunately, a Bachelors degree in Psychology is not enough to compete in today's competitive job market. It's actually one of the most common degrees people decide to study. Even though one may have a BA or BS, it's the experience that many employers also look at. If you are planning to study Psychology, make sure you plan on going to graduate school. With a graduate degree such as an MS, Psy. D or PhD, you have opportunity to conduct research or teach at a college level. However, the clinical aspect of psychology may also be appealing. With a Master in Mental Health Counseling, you have the opportunity to become licensed and do therapy and counseling. The same thing goes with a Psy. D ( Doctor of Psychology) or PhD, which can open the doors to research, teaching, therapy, psych testing, and much more depending on the concentration. Psychologists can work in schools, hospitals, rehabs, prisons, clinics, Military, etc..

As far as job outlook in the Bachelor's level, one may consider working as a Mental Health Technician (Behavioral health tech), Direct Support Staff, and many others if it's the clinical aspect that intrests you most. These jobs may not pay so great, but it is a great way to get your foot in the door and gain valuable experience.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM

18,738 posts, read 33,543,933 times
Amen to that.
I've worked in mental health settings. What used to be "attendants" are now bachelor's young people who are trying to see their way forward for grad school, etc. In a good hospital, you can get great references from famous doctors and researchers. (In a crummy place, you can get your tires slashed for doing a good job).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment