Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times

Advertisements

Every career I look at requires several more years of full-time school even though I already have a bachelor's degree. I don't have the time or money to do that.

I'm at a loss; I want out of I.T. badly but I don't want the stress of putting my life on hold and doing without my paycheck while I train.

What can I do? Are there people who specialize in guiding people like me into jobs we may not have considered and who can give us advice on how to land our first job in that field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,475,344 times
I feel your pain. I'd give anything to get science out of my life forever. Unfortunately, like a lot of people right now, I am stuck in a job and career I hate because of the economy and employer's unwillingness to hire entry level employees and develop them.

BTW
What do you dislike about IT? Lack of jobs, poor salary, or just burned out. If you have a decent paying job I'd say hold off changing careers untill the economy improves.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I feel your pain. I'd give anything to get science out of my life forever. Unfortunately, like a lot of people right now, I am stuck in a job and career I hate because of the economy and employer's unwillingness to hire entry level employees and develop them.

BTW
What do you dislike about IT? Lack of jobs, poor salary, or just burned out. If you have a decent paying job I'd say hold off changing careers untill the economy improves.
Burned out, plus there is a huge sweatshop mentality where I work and in a lot of other companies too. Also a lot of I.T. jobs are contracts now which I don't want.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,381,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Every career I look at requires several more years of full-time school even though I already have a bachelor's degree. I don't have the time or money to do that.

I'm at a loss; I want out of I.T. badly but I don't want the stress of putting my life on hold and doing without my paycheck while I train.

What can I do? Are there people who specialize in guiding people like me into jobs we may not have considered and who can give us advice on how to land our first job in that field?
Do you know about DBA?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,572,499 times
Quote:

You can do whatever you want. You sound like me a few years ago after 5 years in IT... I swore it off at 27 as never wanting to do it again... then I tried doing some other stuff but the economy sink happened, wound up back in an IT job as that was all I could get and ended up hating it more than before. I am now going back to school for something completely different at 29...

I had 3 IT jobs + a few contracts over that time and hated every single one of them... it is just not for me whatsoever, not my personality, I have no interest anymore either (I started programming when I was 13 so for me the IT/computer world felt like much longer in it than it was...)

The money isn't great anymore either, not much better than any other careers. It is a mature industry.

I would say in this economy and trained workforce, I would go back to school for a professional degree, masters in related field or a 2nd bachelors.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,408,597 times
IT is one of the most stressful jobs in existance.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,765,701 times
I'm glad I never switched to an IT career and got $50,000 debt being swayed to college during the dot com boom. So many IT jobs require so many skills and then they'd like to hire a cheap H1b Indian instead...

Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Do you know about DBA?
Yes; they work worse hours than I do. Plus you pretty much have to be Indian to get a job in that field these days. You sure have to be Indian to be a DBA at my office. They have a high turnover and every single one for 3 years has been Indian.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,381,792 times
Quote:
Yes; they work worse hours than I do. Plus you pretty much have to be Indian to get a job in that field these days. You sure have to be Indian to be a DBA at my office. They have a high turnover and every single one for 3 years has been Indian.
I would think the hours you work can depend on where you work.

Have you considered being a project manager? You'd have to start as an entry level, but you probably have experience for an IT related project manager position. If you use a general job search function you will see a large number of project manager positions are out there.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I would think the hours you work can depend on where you work.

Have you considered being a project manager? You'd have to start as an entry level, but you probably have experience for an IT related project manager position. If you use a general job search function you will see a large number of project manager positions are out there.
I have thought about that but the project managers where I work also work insane hours...worse than my hours. I don't want to work insane hours anymore; I would really rather limit my evening/weekend work to little to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment