Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 AM

329 posts, read 1,048,117 times

Advertisements

OP, why do you feel you have to move to a different state? I understand you want to pursue your dreams but your logic starts to falter when you state that you want to move to a financial disaster of a state like Florida with no job set up in order to do it. Nobody is questioning your frustrations or your desire to change your life; it's your plan that makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
To address the OP's original question, I'm salaried and like it a lot. Being salaried means that I have a lot of flexibility over my schedule. If I need to leave early, I don't have to worry about not getting paid for the hours that I missed. Basically, I am compensated to get my job done and if it takes 30 hours or 50 hours in a week, so be it. My typical work week is around 45-50 hours a week, but that's what I expected when I took this job. I have the additional flexibility that I can do some of my work remotely, so I can leave work early, enjoy an evening event with my wife, and then come home to finish up after she falls asleep. It works well for me, but to each his own.

Also as someone else mentioned, most higher paying jobs are salaried (excepting a few jobs like sales, which is commission-based). You generally top out on the hourly wage at a far lower level than you would for salaried positions.
Well said and I happen to agree, for all of the reasons that you mentioned.

I think it depends, in part, on the job in question as well. I'm in a management position in a corporate environment, make a salary and generally also put in closer to 50 hours of work per week (also expected when I took my position). But I also work from my home office about 75%-80% of the time and have a lot of flexibility over my own schedule as well - I don't punch any clocks. Basically, as long as things are done correctly and on time, that is all that matters in the end. And I make a salary that, to me at least, ain't too shabby.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 PM

802 posts, read 2,266,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I think it depends, in part, on the job in question as well. I'm in a management position in a corporate environment, make a salary and generally also put in closer to 50 hours of work per week (also expected when I took my position). But I also work from my home office about 75%-80% of the time and have a lot of flexibility over my own schedule as well - I don't punch any clocks. Basically, as long as things are done correctly and on time, that is all that matters in the end. And I make a salary that, to me at least, ain't too shabby.
From re-reading the OP, it seems that the issue is less about being salaried and more about the amount being he is getting paid. OP, is that correct?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:36 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,681,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmar81 View Post
Hi I know exactly what you mean corporate america is always looking out for themselves and will always find a way to save themselves money. I see you say that you would like to get paid for the amount of work you put in. I'm an executive in a 600 million dollar global powerhouse endorsed by Donald Trump. We were featured on the Celebrity Apprentice 2009 and will be featured on NBC in a Prime time Reality TV show this 2011. I work directly with one of the Senior V.P.s who's in the top 1% of all money earners on the planet. He's been featured in Success Magazine and Success From Home magazine. We deal with the global expansion of our company in the 20 countries we are already in and the 60 countries we will launch within the next few weeks. We get paid 5 income streams and the company is giving away an extra $30,000 in 6months in performance bonus and an extra $90,000 in performance bonus and that's just the one way we get paid. If you're looking to stop trading dollars for hours and get paid what you should be getting paid for your hard work my partners and I looking for people like yourself. We need to get in touch. Contact me (585)474-0850 or jamarspeight@yahoo.com ACN Direct Seller Home-Based Business Opportunity, Products & Services ACN Inc. Company News, Press Releases and Product Information | Charity Updates God Bless
OP I absolutely agree, at your salary level working salary vs hourly is def giving you the shaft. However in general good luck find a job that will pay you $40 an hours plus full time benefits while guaranting you 40 yours a week...

Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,073,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

Yup, the flexibility is what I like about being a salaried employee

Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 PM

168 posts, read 425,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
OP, why do you feel you have to move to a different state? I understand you want to pursue your dreams but your logic starts to falter when you state that you want to move to a financial disaster of a state like Florida with no job set up in order to do it. Nobody is questioning your frustrations or your desire to change your life; it's your plan that makes no sense.
I hate cold weather and regardless of where I live I will probably always be lower middle class at best with my earnings. I would rather be poor and happy in a warm climate than poor and miserable in a cold one. Last year we got two blizzards that dumped 20+ inches of snow each. I have no interest in going through that again, unless I was to return to NJ or NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
From re-reading the OP, it seems that the issue is less about being salaried and more about the amount being he is getting paid. OP, is that correct?
On one hand I would say yes because if I was making more it wouldn't seem out of the question to work 60 hours a week. But at 30K in this area, it isn't worth it. On the other hand, it comes down to living in a place I don't like, not making money, and having to work a lot of hours for it. If I was living in a place I like, I wouldn't care about not making money and having to work a lot. So it isn't as clear cut as the amount being the problem.

This all may not matter because I was contacted about an interview and am going to make arrangements to take it. If things go well I might not need to move without a job.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,107,778 times
I love being salaried, I would never go back to hourly intentionally.
I have weeks where I work 50+ hours a week (not too often thank goodness)...but I also have days where I need to cut out early and as long as I work a half day, I can leave and not have to use my paid time off.
There are things that I HAVE to get done, or the consequences for others will be severe. I work in healthcare; if I don't do my piece, then someone might not receive needed services, and their health could suffer. I would not want to have to make the choice between punching out on time and making someone go without, or staying late to arrange what the person needs, but then get in trouble for punching out late.
When I negotiated my salary, I took into consideration that the average work week was going to be greater than 40 hours.
OP, I think being salaried is fine...I think the problem is that your employer stinks. Certainly, having no chance for advancement, bonuses or raises has nothing to do with being salary, and everything to do with where you work.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:47 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,210,621 times
Scam implies misleading someone for gain, so I guess if they implied your work commitment would be less you'd have a point.

I've been salary my entire career and have been fortunate in rarely working more than 40 hour weeks, in fact I'd say the sum of my "bail early on Friday" type situations far exceeds any overtime I've put in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment