Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,273 times

Advertisements

Hello people of CD, here's VAW with a schedule / workload related question.
In a nutshell, a colleague from another team has identified an opportunity to help some of the customers I would normally handle on weekend, however the concern is that by doing so, it reduces my workload and therefore at risk of:
1. having my hours cut by the supervisor on a temporary or permanent basis
2. getting unnecessary attention from the supervisor (and upper management), leading to other consequences.

The advantages of having a colleague help out are the potential to:
1. go home early on weekends for once
2. get a favorable schedule change whereby I'd get to work one more weekday and have the weekend off.

The issue at hand: My weekend schedule is 11am-7pm these days and the colleague works from 9-5. The colleague has a light workload these days and thought that by helping me out, he could start answering my customers (by email) earlier, which would in turn keep him busy (therefore satisfied), while also improving the handle time stats.
I asked for a Saturday off in Sept or Oct and my supervisor said no, CC'ing her manager and a senior manager in the process refusing the proposal and also slamming me for a pattern of chronic lateness. She wants to keep the schedule status quo but indicated that "although the current situation is not ideal, we are looking for a solution".

So why not just tell her that colleague Steve wants to cover Saturday mornings for me? The thing is, Steve already asked her for more work, she gave him about 30 mins worth, while he's looking for 2-3 hrs more. Whether or not he has work to do, his schedule remains 9-5. The fact that the guy keeps asking for more work is commendable, however if it comes at my expense, then no thank you.

Would you approach your supervisor about this or just tell Steve to quit pestering you/the supervisor about your weekend schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,515 times
I just skimmed your post, but my suggestion is to keep your workload - and the heck with that attention-seeking colleague. He/she will take work from YOU, and you'll be even MORE expendable. The heck with him/her.
These days it's every person for themselves. Yeah, there's teamwork, but there's also "dog-eat-dog", and that colleague wants some - pardon me - dog biscuits (if you get my drift).

Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 AM

924 posts, read 2,231,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
The thing is, Steve already asked her for more work, she gave him about 30 mins worth, while he's looking for 2-3 hrs more. Whether or not he has work to do, his schedule remains 9-5. The fact that the guy keeps asking for more work is commendable, however if it comes at my expense, then no thank you.
To clarify, my supervisor has already agreed that Steve do about 30 minutes of my work including handling VIP customers and some others before my arrival.
Steve wants even more and even had the nerve to ask me whether the bosses specifically want me there starting at 11 instead of 9am. I told him I wasn't available earlier than my current start time and he doesn't want to twiddle his thumbs in boredom.

However I do agree with Soda. The colleague would be taking my workload and if he gets his way, he's be covering 3 roles, whereas I cover one role (CSR for 1 language group). Another one of his team mates also covers 2 languages groups (my group and his own). One could conclude that together, these guys are making a play for my job and indeed making me redundant.
Management prefers the "main" CSR covering our customer group to start at 8 or 9am, so if Steve steps up and offers to cover from that time starting on weekends, management might get ideas and end up replacing me with him during the week too.

Now I have to find a way to deal with Steve. He even suggested I talk with my supervisor to convince her to let him handle my workload on Saturdays. I've told him that I don't want my workload to be reduced to the point where I have nothing to do, because if the volume of emails isn't there.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Bored or Drama Rehab?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Bored or Drama Rehab?
Being let go is a long and arduous process sometimes.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
To clarify, my supervisor has already agreed that Steve do about 30 minutes of my work including handling VIP customers and some others before my arrival.
Steve wants even more and even had the nerve to ask me whether the bosses specifically want me there starting at 11 instead of 9am. I told him I wasn't available earlier than my current start time and he doesn't want to twiddle his thumbs in boredom.

However I do agree with Soda. The colleague would be taking my workload and if he gets his way, he's be covering 3 roles, whereas I cover one role (CSR for 1 language group). Another one of his team mates also covers 2 languages groups (my group and his own). One could conclude that together, these guys are making a play for my job and indeed making me redundant.
Management prefers the "main" CSR covering our customer group to start at 8 or 9am, so if Steve steps up and offers to cover from that time starting on weekends, management might get ideas and end up replacing me with him during the week too.

Now I have to find a way to deal with Steve. He even suggested I talk with my supervisor to convince her to let him handle my workload on Saturdays. I've told him that I don't want my workload to be reduced to the point where I have nothing to do, because if the volume of emails isn't there.
They are SOOOOO totally gunning for your job, and letting YOU know it.

Is there anything extra YOU can do at your company while keeping your
current position. You MUST go the extra mile. You have TWO people targeting YOUR job (if I read/skimmed correctly).

Question: prior to this, what kind of worker were you - and what kind of attitude did you have? Were you nice, a team player, arrogant, what? Of course, frequently attitude has nothing to do with number-crunching time. Everyone is expendable. However, a great attitude (and especially good work ethics) MAY buy one more time on a job (even miraculously open some doors).

Go the extra mile.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Question: prior to this, what kind of worker were you - and what kind of attitude did you have? Were you nice, a team player, arrogant, what?
Past threads tell the tale to which this is just another chapter.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Past threads tell the tale to which this is just another chapter.
Indeed, but I don't read past threads (too impatient for that, rather read a book).
Did Valueworker previously - and gleefully - bash the unemployed?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Indeed, but I don't read past threads (too impatient for that, rather read a book).
Well then you'll miss a good read indeed.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Well then you'll miss a good read indeed.
Hmmmm ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment