Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 AM

188 posts, read 939,797 times

Advertisements

Pray and don't forget to take your "collection plate" everywhere you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,088,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
Pray and don't forget to take your "collection plate" everywhere you go.
LOL... I know a few religious people around here who carry a collection plate, usually in the form of a change-filled coffee cup. And they can actually TALK to God, who often disguises himself as a trash can.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
I am a Christian and I do believe prayer works but I don't think you can just sit at home and be like lord send me a job, you have to be proactive. I know all of us in the forum have been proactive and I wish the thread starter and everyone the absolute best.
My thoughts exactly. Prayer is a two part process. Pray for the rain, prepare the field for the rain.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,021,988 times
I belong to another forum for the unemployed and everything is pray, pray, pray. I admit, it does get old. Prayers going out for this, that, and the other. I find myself thinking get retrained, update your skills, etc.

Having said this, if people want to believe that God is going to help them get a job, more power to them. I just think they need to realize that not everyone thinks this should be one of God's priorities. I'd far rather that God "touch the hearts" of the creeps who got us into this mess and start to "touch the hearts" of those who might (and I only mean might, as it is most likely a lost cause at this point) get the US out of it, rather than worry about someone's job status. Let God touch the hearts of those who continue to outsource our jobs.

The facts are that many good jobs are in India, etc right now and are not coming back. The middle class continues to shrink. Those who are typically the most Christian don't even want health care reform and don't want the uninsured to be covered. Some of the most awful people are the most Christian.

They say religion is the opiate of the masses. I would be better off if I could believe in some of that, I think.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 10-15-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: wrong word on no coffee

Old 10-15-2010, 08:14 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,303,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
One thing I never understood is why God would be preoccupied with finding someone a job, when there are far more important things to do, and he or she is not getting them done. I refer to preventing innocents from being blown up by bombs in the Middle East.
I hear what you're saying but, I don't think it has to be an "either or" proposition, if that makes sense. Jesus said that God is aware when even a sparrow falls to the ground and that He even knows the number of hairs on our head. In other words, He does know and care about even the minutia of our lives The way I look at it is that God is big enough to handle the big stuff AND the small stuff. (BTW,I think there are answers to why we see evil in the world, but that discussion can get a bit complex/lengthy and is probably better suited for discussion in the religion forum .)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
I am a Christian and I do believe prayer works but I don't think you can just sit at home and be like lord send me a job, you have to be proactive. I know all of us in the forum have been proactive and I wish the thread starter and everyone the absolute best.
Exactly.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM

88,869 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Please don't compare a fake psychic with God.

The family cannot take credit for the job because it was not the family that got the person the job.

People ask why did this happen to me ? Be patient . Things may not happen in your own time but soon will make sense.

I was at one point awhile ago about to get a job but the store CLOSED. Had I started there earlier I would have been out of a job AGAIN.

You can't shove God down peoples throats but at the same time you can recognize someone who has that sparkle in their eyes because they do believe He exists
Excuse me, but a) I was responding to a specific statement about people's behavior, and b) I am one of those who does believe in God, but it is not your place to admonish me or anyone else about what I can and cannot say.

The OP needs a damn job, and people like her family, or you above, are using the "God's will and all-in-good-time" platitudes to effectively dismiss her problem. This does nothing to help her or even express compassion for her situation, but rather is merely a way for them and you not to feel her pain. If you are a true believer, just say a personal silent prayer that she finds a job soon without the silly and useless religious "advice".

Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I hear what you're saying but, I don't think it has to be an "either or" proposition, if that makes sense. Jesus said that God is aware when even a sparrow falls to the ground and that He even knows the number of hairs on our head. In other words, He does know and care about even the minutia of our lives The way I look at it is that God is big enough to handle the big stuff AND the small stuff. (BTW,I think there are answers to why we see evil in the world, but that discussion can get a bit complex/lengthy and is probably better suited for discussion in the religion forum .)
Agreed, but one quick question. Why hasn't anyone invented a pronoun aside from he when discussing God? As a woman, I do find this offensive. I would tend to think if God is good, that God is a she.

After all, it ain't the women of the world starting wars. Ok, I know in one or two obscure cultures this may not be the case.

Anyway, don't want to derail, but just sayin'....

Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 AM

9,024 posts, read 20,445,691 times
One thing for sure about the OP's Thread, it sure pulled the Atheist's/non-believers out of the woodwork! I still haven't got an answer yet on WHY this young ladies parents are telling her to pray! Do they know she is an Atheist, but are trying to convert her??? Something seems to be "left out" of the OP's Thread about the relationship between her and her parents that probably has nothing to do with "praying for a job". Anyone in the Thread understand at all what I talking about??????
Actually, before the OP done her Thread, I was really wondering when someone was going to do a Thread on "praying for a job"! Actually, the church we attend now has an employment area on their church website which is for people to put open positions on as well as for people to apply to.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing for sure about the OP's Thread, it sure pulled the Atheist's/non-believers out of the woodwork! I still haven't got an answer yet on WHY this young ladies parents are telling her to pray! Do they know she is an Atheist, but are trying to convert her??? Something seems to be "left out" of the OP's Thread about the relationship between her and her parents that probably has nothing to do with "praying for a job". Anyone in the Thread understand at all what I talking about??????
Actually, before the OP done her Thread, I was really wondering when someone was going to do a Thread on "praying for a job"! Actually, the church we attend now has an employment area on their church website which is for people to put open positions on as well as for people to apply to.
I can't speak for the OP, but my mother does the same thing to me. I can't even tell my mother what I believe (or don't) as she gets too upset that I don't believe as she does. So I placate her and say nothing. I imagine the reason believers do this is because they believe. Also, the Christian religion does have a history of trying to convert others, unlike Buddhism, for example.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,088,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but my mother does the same thing to me. I can't even tell my mother what I believe (or don't) as she gets too upset that I don't believe as she does. So I placate her and say nothing. I imagine the reason believers do this is because they believe. Also, the Christian religion does have a history of trying to convert others, unlike Buddhism, for example.
Judaism (my heritage) doesn't believe in conversion either, so the whole concept is a bit strange to me... why does anyone care what somebody else believes? Luckily my parents & I share the same basic belief system - we consider ourselves "cultural Jews," where we practice the traditions but don't subscribe to the man in the sky. So luckily I've never faced a religious conflict with them, and can only imagine how frustrating that must be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment