Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM

235 posts, read 466,075 times

Advertisements

My grandma is saying that if I move to AZ that people in AZ won't hire me because I was born in IL. Is she right or is she wrong?

Keep in mind she is from the old country where if you aren't native to the state/country that you are born in you won't get hired because you aren't native.

Say for example (I'll use company x for example) is looking for an employee from IL would that company hire someone that was born and lives in this state or would they hire someone who was born in a different state but also meets the same qualifications for that position? Would they hire the native of IL or the non-native who wasn't born in the same state that they are hiring in.

My grandma's logic is if you aren't native to the state that you were born in good luck getting a job as most companies would hire someone who was born and raised in the state.

She is saying that since it's a critical time in the US that most companies would rather hire people who are born and raised in that state verse someone who just relocated and was born in another state.

Last edited by dhammerman2003; 10-13-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,859,435 times
So if grandma is right, I guess no one born outside this COUNTRY would ever get a job then?

Think about it logically for a moment - there are states where a very high percentage of the residents are "transplants" from other states - Ca and Tx come to mind. You really think none of them found employment in a new state? come on already.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,148,100 times
The only way a job would see a benefit to hiring a native from the city or state in which they seek employment is if relates to the job at hand. For example: if you work for a non profit and you will need to work with a particular population. It would be most likely they would want someone that knows the culture and can navigate through quite easily.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 PM

219 posts, read 563,136 times
I am not working in the state that I was born in. Does that answer your question?

Grandma seems nice, but just give her some more of her happy pills and let her slip back into her fantasy dream world.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 PM

239 posts, read 896,351 times
A local applicant is always going to be considered first because they are able to start sooner and are committed to the State and community they live in. Also people who were born in the community are more likely to connect with a local than an outsider. So your Grandma is mostly right!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM

580 posts, read 2,295,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
A local applicant is always going to be considered first because they are able to start sooner and are committed to the State and community they live in. Also people who were born in the community are more likely to connect with a local than an outsider. So your Grandma is mostly right!
You are right. All things being equal, the local applicant will more than likely get the job. If the out of state applicant has significantly more qualifications, that would be a different story.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:33 PM

219 posts, read 563,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I don't believe the OP is asking whether the local applicant has more of an advantage than the out-of-state applicant. The OP is asking if he is disadvantaged because he was born out of state. I've never heard of a company discriminating on the basis of which state you were born. If you can speak the language and have the skills, you are considered a qualified applicant. Which state you were born in does not impact your chances for employment.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,150,428 times
There's a difference between being a local applicant and having a birth certificate showing you were born in the state you are applying for a job in. I think Gram is trying to help, but rather confused. The only place I could see that potentially being the case is in the very southern Mississippi Delta--Creole/Cajun country where "outsiders" are sometimes treated with suspicion.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM

239 posts, read 896,351 times
I think it is a cultural thing. If I am from New York City and move to Mississippi and compete with locals I will be at a disadvantage because I do not share the local culture and communicate differently. I may be discriminated against becase I am a yankee. The same thing may happen if I have a strong southern accent and are trying to get a job in New York. Local residents always have an advantage.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM

235 posts, read 466,075 times
yeah but does local applicants means applicants who are born locally or just live there and are local?

My grandma says if I move to AZ I will be at a big disadvantage because I wasn't born in AZ. If I move and I am considered a local applicant would they not hire me because I wasn't born in the state and considered an outsider to AZ?

I don't quite understand why she is saying where you are born matters in terms of getting a job. I mean I know a lot of people who were born in the area who have jobs out of state and they had no advantage/disadvantage because of it. So why is she saying that I will when my classmates didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment