Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 AM

34 posts, read 253,170 times

Advertisements

I can not believe it but our company is hiring people in its Accounting and IT Department who live out of State and are selected and screened only through phone interviews. They will move out here and start work without even meeting their boss and coworkers face to face, see what their work place and office will look like, get a feel for the commute, community or company culture. Would you accept a job without meeting the boss face to face first?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 12:30 AM

36 posts, read 168,525 times
Its very common to do this in my job area. When I was flown in for an interview, people at my job were very surprised.

50% of the people we get are good, and the other 50% are rotten.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:58 AM

319 posts, read 1,911,164 times
The company may not be flying them out, but this doesn't mean the future employees haven't visited the area. I wouldn't move anywhere without at least visiting for a short while, unless money made it out of the question.

For the job I'm going to the company flew me out for a day trip, and then I came back a month later with my fiance to make sure it was the right place for both of us, and to scope out places to live.

I wouldn't like not being able to meet a future boss and co-workers, but it's not the worst thing.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
The company may not be flying them out, but this doesn't mean the future employees haven't visited the area. I wouldn't move anywhere without at least visiting for a short while, unless money made it out of the question.

For the job I'm going to the company flew me out for a day trip, and then I came back a month later with my fiance to make sure it was the right place for both of us, and to scope out places to live.

I wouldn't like not being able to meet a future boss and co-workers, but it's not the worst thing.
Give me a idea were you are, offer a living wage and all I would say is............. when's my flight?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:21 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Teacher View Post
I can not believe it but our company is hiring people in its Accounting and IT Department who live out of State and are selected and screened only through phone interviews. They will move out here and start work without even meeting their boss and coworkers face to face, see what their work place and office will look like, get a feel for the commute, community or company culture. Would you accept a job without meeting the boss face to face first?
I actually taught with a woman years ago, who relocated just for a position, after talking to the Head of Personnel for the schools. I couldn't believe she and her husband just up-and-packed-and-moved, but I was even more surprised the school system hired someone like this over the phone!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:01 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,086 times
I hope my company hires my friend from Seattle essentially unseen. But that means we have to start the interview process :P

I'd have to have a face to face interview personally.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,758 times
Quote:
Heck yeah...if I had a specific place in mind to relocate to already, which I do. If the pay works for me, I'd rather move with a job lined up. You can always stick it out for awhile and look for something else when you get there if you hate it.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Heck yeah...if I had a specific place in mind to relocate to already, which I do. If the pay works for me, I'd rather move with a job lined up. You can always stick it out for awhile and look for something else when you get there if you hate it.
Agreed!

As for the employer. I don't understand the logic of management. What if this person has a tatoo on there face (extreme, but possible)? What are they gonna do?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
What State are you in? No, I would not want to be hired through a phone interview without meeting the boss in person and looking around the work place. I'd also want to check out the area first. But I'm thinking some folks are so desperate to get a job it's a good thing for them hopefully.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:57 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I would hope that if I was applying for jobs in another area I would already have done my homework enough to know if I felt the area was right for me. As far as meeting the boss & co-workers, bosses are not the same in an interview as they are to work for and I have never been introduced to my co-workers before I started a job. I am looking for a job, not a social environment. I don't really care what my co-workers look like.

The office itself needs to have a chair, desk, and computer. I don't give a crap about the decor. If it is hot in the building I have a fan, if it is cold I have a sweater.

Yes, I would accept a job based on a phone interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment