Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM

132 posts, read 430,084 times

Advertisements

I have received several calls/emails from American Income Life Insurance Co. wanting to interview me immediately. I think Monster is how they go my resume. I also received a VM from a "casualty" company. I NEVER applied for jobs with these companies. Could they be posting fake job descriptions on Monster? They won't tell me how they got my resume and I have no previous work experience in this field.

Last edited by BCBGirl; 11-01-2010 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM

323 posts, read 939,984 times
Monster is pretty Notorious for that! They just look at anyone that's a warm body in the area. I'm sick of getting those emails and phone calls too. With a job like that (especially if it's all commission) the turn over rate has to be pretty constant and I imagine they are always looking for people.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,812 times
I got a call and an e-mail from them the same day I put a resume on monster. Whenever you create a resume on monster or careerbuilder you have to remember to check the box that says to hide it from others. This way you won't get unsolicited calls or e-mails from companies (real or not) for jobs you're not qualified for or want. Obviously, this is something I forgot to do.

The funny thing is my resume list the 12 years of experience I have welding and schooling in HVAC. They said they though with my experience, I would be a good fit in their company. Yea... Sure... I can really see how welding and working in manufacturing all my life would really make me a good salesman.

These people don't even look at what is on your resume. They just send mass e-mails to thousands and hope somebody is stupid enough to respond.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
I would not recommend hiding it from companies as that is how I got the job I start next Monday. Yes you get some of this insurance garbage but you also get legit opportunities. Took almost 2 years for this to happen but it would not have happened if I would have blocked it from being seen.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 PM

323 posts, read 939,984 times
I had 2 useful hits from recruiters thanks to my Monster resume when I 1st updated it. It's probably worth the insurance company hassle if it makes you more visible to the RIGHT employer.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,148 times
Companies can post ads and browse through candidates' resumes. I had the same thing - insurance companies and other clip joints tended to call me, offering interviews for all kinds of "opportunities". Yeah right. One of them involved cold calling and setting up appointment. Compensation? Commission only.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,741,459 times
I ignored my Insurance company emails. And sometimes you get job scams from Monster and Careerbuilder too.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
I would not recommend hiding it from companies as that is how I got the job I start next Monday. Yes you get some of this insurance garbage but you also get legit opportunities. Took almost 2 years for this to happen but it would not have happened if I would have blocked it from being seen.

You may be right but I only had mine posted for maybe 3 hours and I was already getting garbage. I can't imagine how bad it would have been had I left it unblocked.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You may be right but I only had mine posted for maybe 3 hours and I was already getting garbage. I can't imagine how bad it would have been had I left it unblocked.
It really wasn't that bad at least in my market, I had a few insurance ones early on but it seemed to go away after a while. I had more real job hits then insurance type job hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment