Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,491 times

Advertisements

by the time the date of December 24th comes, I'll have been freezing my tail off for weeks. Thing is though, the organization I'm working for is the very reason I'm prepared to stand outside in Upstate New York during winter. A part of my getting assistance, was to work at their thrift store and it has obviously worked out quite well. Anyone have a clue as to who I'm working for without me explaining any further? Tell me true.

I'll be getting up at 6:40am six days a week and either (depending on weather) be riding the bus (7:40 p/u - 8:25 d/o), or my bike (25 min. ride) to be at the Salvation Army before 9am to get a 'kettle', a bell and a site. Those of us without vehicles are taken to our sites by Sal. Army. Actual work hours are from 10am - 8pm. Get home between 9:15pm and 9:45pm with no bus home that late. I've worked out a ride home for the days the weather is too bad for me to bicycle in. Long days. They'll seem even longer when the snow and cold comes. Since 1994 I've had a career that I could be proud of. But nothing in my life has been more rewarding than 'bell ringing' for donations for the Salvation Army. I'm not a big holiday person, but seeing and making people smile and sometimes stop in their tracks, turn around on the way out (only for saying something to them) and drop in a donation, is a feeling that is indescribably rewarding. From just knowing that the Salvation Army actually is, as their motto states, 'Doing the Most Good'. There's no better case for having to 'take what you can for work' than this. I've also received permission to hand out candy and candy canes to the kids. An idea I got from a passer by on my first day.

So what will I do after December 24th when my employment ends? I'll tell ya. My working these long days, with 2 - 3 unpaid hours involved, will not only benefit many people that are in need but will allow me to pay the fines (from unpaid seatbelt/driving on suspended) and get my license back after the first of the year. Then in turn I get a job driving a public bus for the county in which I reside. They have a great thousand dollar hire on bonus that gives the employee $250.00 every quarter the first year. They have great benefits along with 401K and starts out at only $8.50/hr but give a 2% raise every six months. (not sure of the 'cut-off ') So until we can get another vehicle and/or the economy gets better (we'll probably have an inexpensive vehicle first ) this is a job worth having to take.

I believe my favorite part is watching as the children ask their parents for money to put in the 'kettle'. Even better are the parents that don't wait for their children to ask.

Just a bottom note... I've, of course, been approved to and will be volunteering some of my time at the thrift store after I am working again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:13 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Very exciting. You have a great holiday season set up for yourself. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times
Good for you. Have a great season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment