Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 AM

77 posts, read 172,366 times

Advertisements

Anybody make money blogging or working online? Just wondering what works and can you make money doing this? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 01:38 PM

814 posts, read 2,008,342 times
I think making money blogging all depends on whether you have something to say that TONS of people want to hear. My understanding is that the only ways to make money online are to 1) sell something that makes money, or 2) be so popular that people want to advertise on your site. Numbers following you matter.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times
One problem is that NC is one of the states who changed the tax law, prompting companies like Amazon to drop NC bloggers from their affiliate programs:

Amazon warns N.C. affiliates about tax issue : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/06/17/article/amazon_warns_nc_affiliates_about_tax_issue - broken link)

I'm not sure how things are going now, but from what I understand that hasn't been remedied.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM

850 posts, read 1,547,234 times
I have a blog that make good money with. It's not making me thousands per month, but I am doing ok so far. Send me a message offline and I can tell you what I know.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,055,047 times
I do, but it's pennies for lattes in the big scheme of things.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,483,117 times
Blogs can be successful money makers, but usually the only way they turn a profit is if you can get a huge number of hits per day/week. If nobody is reading it, no one is going to want to advertise on your blog or support it financially.

Another way to make money by writing is to get freelance writing job You can often do this at home and it's an excellent way to build your writing portfolio. There are many websites you can use to get freelance writing jobs. My two favorites are Craigslist and JournalismJobs.com.

Good luck =)

Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcs11 View Post
Anybody make money blogging or working online? Just wondering what works and can you make money doing this? Thanks for any input.
If your doing it for enjoyment and as a hobby and hoping to make a little money go for it. If your doing it strictly for an income don't.

It takes a long time to build a popular site with a lot of traffic. If you don't enjoy the subject matter your blogging about you will never last long enough to build that.

If you enjoy what your doing and would do it anyway you'll probably find others who enjoy that subject matter and what you have to say about it and could make some extra money.

Without spending money on ads, seo, etc though its really hard to build traffic. I have a few websites and blogs. Not only do I keep new content on there I also spend a lot of time doing the limited amount of seo type stuff I know how to do, creating backlinks, making youtube vids, etc and I'm basically making beer money although I dont have a ton of traffic. It is easy to see however how if you had lots of hits how the money would roll in.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:38 PM

437 posts, read 1,072,774 times
If you add Google Add Sense - free - to your blog, you can make a little change if you generate enough traffic but it takes time to build it up. You have to accrue a $100 before they pay and it was a long while before I could cash in that first time.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,490 times
There are a few ways that you can make money online. However, you have to be very, very determined and not give up. I earn money online through freelance writing, but it's not much since I do it for fun and not for my main source of income. Here are a few ideas:

* Freelance writing- You can go on websites such as Demand Studios, Suite 101, Examiner etc. and earn money by writing articles. For many of these sites, you have to fill out an application and submit writing samples before they hire you. For sites like Examiner, you earn residual income only, so make sure you pick a popular topic; learn how to use SEO, keywords, and backlinks; and write a lot of articles. For sites like Demand Studios, you can write an article based on a title that's available in their database and earn a flat rate of $15 per article (maybe more depending on the article). However, Demand Studios is very strict in their format and for some $15 per article is not worth it when the articles are very complicated. There are also sites like eLance.com, where you can bid for writing jobs, but some of my fellow freelance writers are complaining that people from developing nations who speak okay English are beating out higher cost (but fluent) English speakers b/c they are charging less.

* Selling items online- If you are just selling items you have in your garage then you can use eBay. If you have some handmade crafts, jewelry, scarves, etc. then you should look into Etsy.com. However, the problem with Etsy is there are also people from other countries which make items and charge lower prices (my friend ran into this problem). However, there are still plenty of Americans who can earn money on Etsy b/c they make quality products. You can also try Zazzle if you're into selling your artwork or photography. If you're into writing, you can also use sites such as LuLu.com to sell novels, calendars, etc. However, you would had to do your own marketing for selling your books.

* Blogs- If you have something to say that others may find informative and useful then you can start a blog. The thing about blogs is you have to write about something that informs and entertains the masses. Some earn money by writing about product reviews, others earn money by writing about their hobbies and interests in fascinating ways, and some earn money by teaching others how to earn money online. You have to keep it interesting and you have to keep it updated (about three days a week at least). Doing it everyday may cause you to feel burned out. Also, you need to learn about ways to monetize your blog (affiliate programs, selling your own product/service, ads, etc); need to learn how to utilize SEO, keywords, and backlinks to remain visible on search engines; and you have to have a niche and preferably interact with your audience.

* Online business- I know a couple who have started their own businesses online. It still costs money, but nowhere near as much as a brick and mortar business. I know one couple whose business is basically a life coaching business. They teach others how to start their own online business (odd, huh?). They had to spend money to get it started, but they are now making more than they made with their previous "stable" jobs. It takes a lot of determination and faith to start a business.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM

850 posts, read 1,547,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
If you add Google Add Sense - free - to your blog, you can make a little change if you generate enough traffic but it takes time to build it up. You have to accrue a $100 before they pay and it was a long while before I could cash in that first time.
True, but there are programs out there where you can make money now instead of then. Adsense can be costly and boring. I have programs on my blog that makes me money daily. It's not just based on a click either. I have products and services that people want so it makes it easier to get paid. I get paid at the end of the month...at this time I am making car rental money...but my goal is make Rent money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment