Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,472 times

Advertisements

I just applied for a seasonal driver helper position. I had a few questions:

1. Do they tend to hire some of their seasonal people for more permanent positions if you are a good worker?

2. Is this a company that you can eventually make a living with or will you be stuck in low-wage land forever (especially because I do not have a bachelor's degree)?

3. Can you move around the country to other jobs working for U.P.S.? Or do particular branches not hire out-of-town people looking to relocate?

4. Is it a good company to work for overall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM

364 posts, read 1,080,833 times
1. The answer would have probably been yes a few years ago, but the company is struggling like most and have even laid people off. There's a slight chance you could be kept, but it's doubtful, especially as a driver when a lot of internal people want that job. It's a very highly sought after job at UPS because it has the most potential for hourly pay.

2. Yes, drivers top rate is around $30 an hour, and do a ton of OT especially around XMAS time. I know a driver who is 22 and makes about 75K a year. He works his butt off though and says he's micro-managed. You get a certain amount of time to deliver each package and everything you do is tracked. It's not like it used to be.

3. I'm sure you can. Once you're in you can most likely move around if positions are there.

4. Yes, it's a very good company. I've just heard it's changed a lot like most companies. You'll be micro-managed, but if you work hard you can make a good living. Just remember, when you're a driver you're going to work very long hours. You can't just go home at 4:30 with a truck full of packages to be delivered. You may be out til 7 - 10 at night still delivering them packages.

Good luck

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
UPS is a union company.

If you are hired as a temporary seasonal helper, in the temporary hiring agreement it states that the temporary employee will be terminated by Dec. 31. which is dictated in the UPS/Teamster collective bargaining agreement.

1. It is possible and has happened that seasonal helpers become permanent UPS employees at a later date. However it is highly unlikely.

2. 70% of UPS bargaining unit workers (that is, not management) are part time employees. Wages and benefits are good for part time work, but it can take from years to a decade to move into a full time package delivery driver job. In the mean time you'll be loading and unloading tractor trailers at all hours of the day and night (part time) waiting to move up the bid list. A part time shift is generally 3 1/2 hours, five days a week.

3. There is only one provision in the bargaining agreement which allows employees to relocate work locations. The employee must be enrolled in school and request the changed work location for educational purposes, and it is an available option for part time employees only. Full time workers do not have this option.

Sound tempting? Anything else?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,472 times
So, in a nutshell...there is a 99% chance I will be laid off on Dec. 31. If I do manage to segue into another job there it will probably be part-time as well (package handling). It will be many years before I could work up into something more substantial.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
So, in a nutshell...there is a 99% chance I will be laid off on Dec. 31.

Correction: 100% certainty.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 AM

323 posts, read 941,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
UPS is a union company.

If you are hired as a temporary seasonal helper, in the temporary hiring agreement it states that the temporary employee will be terminated by Dec. 31. which is dictated in the UPS/Teamster collective bargaining agreement.

1. It is possible and has happened that seasonal helpers become permanent UPS employees at a later date. However it is highly unlikely.

2. 70% of UPS bargaining unit workers (that is, not management) are part time employees. Wages and benefits are good for part time work, but it can take from years to a decade to move into a full time package delivery driver job. In the mean time you'll be loading and unloading tractor trailers at all hours of the day and night (part time) waiting to move up the bid list. A part time shift is generally 3 1/2 hours, five days a week.

3. There is only one provision in the bargaining agreement which allows employees to relocate work locations. The employee must be enrolled in school and request the changed work location for educational purposes, and it is an available option for part time employees only. Full time workers do not have this option.

Sound tempting? Anything else?
This is great to hear this info! I've been considering a part time seasonal job with UPS too as a Driver Helper. Can you tell me more about that position?

Is it likely that I could be scheduled to work 5 days a week as a driver helper?

Any idea what the starting wage is for that position?

In my case if it makes more then minimum and it's 5 days a week it may be worth it for me, just for the month. In all honestly I'm hoping to go back on UI After Jan. 1st anyway. Because of the deadline for extensions I am set to fall through the cracks and NOT get my Tier 1 extension so my UI ends after 26 weeks on the 28th of this month. I already have a seasonal job that I am starting this week at a dept. store. I want to get back on UI so I can take software training that will help improve my chances of getting a job. I can't do 4 weeks of 40 hr a week training if I have no time off while I'm working multiple min. wage jobs just to EQUAL what I was making on UI.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
$9 per hour

Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,158 times
Yes as a driver helper but the pay is 9.50 an hour. You only work from thanksgiving to Dec 24 no guarantee of work or hours. You work average of 3 - 6 hours a day basically running packages from truck up to doorstep of homes

Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,785,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Depends if your a seasonal helper or driver. Seasonal drivers get laid off after the Christmas season, but they are the first rehired for the next Christmas season, after 2 or 3 years of working seasonal work, they are pretty much first in line when a full time position opens up. It generally takes longer (working more temp seasons) for a seasonal helper to obtain full time work as a package sorter.

I tried out for a seasonal driver position, I figured since I had experience driving stick shift, I'd have no problem. I couldn't be more wrong. When driving a car with manual transmission, you can hear/feel the engine so you know when to shift, driving a truck, especially a UPS truck is completely different. The truck is so noisy, you can't hear the engine well, the whole truck is rattling, clanking, squealing, shaking, it's nothing like driving a car. The stick shift is on a long pole, that's loose, there no frame to shift in like a car has. Not to mention the trucks your driving are beat to hell, the seasonal drivers aren't getting the good trucks that's for sure. After about 15 minute test drive, I was more than happy to get out of that truck. Uncomfortable as hell too, my ankle was hurting me because of the angle it had to be in for the gas pedal, after only 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Any idea what the starting wage is for that position?
The seasonal drivers make $16 a hour, and the helpers make $8 an hour.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,309 times
I was doing this a few weeks ago but quit do to the random hours. Its good if you don't mind the weather/workload/hours. The HR lady told us the best way to move up is to get a recommendation from the driver you work with. All drivers start out as package handlers. You could also ask if there are any warehouse positions available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment