Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:29 PM

148 posts, read 409,178 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been through a series of interviews that were all excellent and when it comes time for an offer you were told, "we must promote from within"?

Is this a canned answer given by HR and hiring managers or is that the sign of the times?

During the interview process, I was told by the hiring manager that she did not feel anyone internally was experienced enough for the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
That really sucks. I don't know why they would put you through all that only to use that excuse. It may be a telling sign that the company may not be a good one to work for. Regardless, I hope that you find a better opportunity.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks Alley01
It is actually a good company - I did my research. but it is what it is. I continue searching

Old 12-25-2010, 01:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
It is not uncommon that HR requires a job posting to be posted externally and then to require interviews if a suitable applicant applies regardless of the intent to hire from within. Just another stupid HR policy that does nothing but slow down the process.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
I would say well than what about the position being vacated by the person who is being promoted?

They have interviewed you, you seemed like a good fit, so what about the open position.

Put it back on them.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:39 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,385,704 times
It depends on the corporate culture of the organisation. Even so, internal recruitment is not necessarily better than external recruitment. New blood is needed to infuse ideas.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
It depends on the corporate culture of the organisation. Even so, internal recruitment is not necessarily better than external recruitment. New blood is needed to infuse ideas.
There is always going to be new blood. It just depends what level it comes in at. For a current employee you certaily hope it comes it at the lower levels and then they look to promote from within for the higher level jobs. But this is not alway possible based on the current employees and what is needed.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:24 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
Has anyone ever been through a series of interviews that were all excellent and when it comes time for an offer you were told, "we must promote from within"?

Is this a canned answer given by HR and hiring managers or is that the sign of the times?

During the interview process, I was told by the hiring manager that she did not feel anyone internally was experienced enough for the position.
I know I've been on several interviews that "internal candidates" were hired for the position. I hate when that happens, all it does is get my hopes up after I've gone through the interview process for a "fake job".

Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
most of the time if we are looking at hireing a outside person it because of there quals for the job for of the people in the business do not have the qualations to do the job in the first place ..two of the people who i worked under both times where hired because of the backgrounds in ther area that the prostion need ..one was full time cheif and the other was a dancer director for a stage show ..

and yes we do promote from within

Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks all. Seanin, the lower position they would hire from is a bit junior for my qualifications and honestly, I don't think the salary would cover my expenses. I keep applying and waiting for the perfect position - if it exists in this economy. I keep the faith that 2011 will bring new opportunities for many, if not all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment