Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,949,586 times

Advertisements

Of all the possible sources for job leads, I think obits would have the poorest return on the investment of time. Only a fraction of the obits will have jobs mentioned, and even fewer still will be a job you are qualified for, and in this economy even those are more likely to go unfilled by a company looking to cut costs.

There are better ways to find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM

470 posts, read 1,038,609 times
Default And Here's another one

50 years old in Spokane, WA

Lisa Dawn Anderson (Hawkes) passed away peacefully in her home on December 25, 2010 at the age of 50 with her family by her side. Lisa is survived by her beloved husband Tim, her son Steven Keith, her daughter Jesica (Brian), her granddaughter Elliana, and parents Frank (Cathy) Bleggi and Caryl Sue Bleggi. Lisa was born in Brigham City, Utah and lived in Spokane, WA since she was six years old. She graduated from Shadle Park in 1978 and received a degree in Interior Design from SFCC. She worked for Huntwood Industries and spent much of her time remodeling her home. Lisa's beautiful spirit has enhanced and enriched many lives and she will deeply missed by all who knew her. Her life was centered around her family and becoming a grandmother was one of the greatest joys of her life. There will be a celebration of Lisa's life on January 8th at 2:00PM at Sons of Norway. 6710 N. Country Homes Blvd. In lieu of flowers the family suggests that donations be made to Cancer Care Northwest.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spo...&pid=147520627

In about 10 minutes I've found two jobs that are most likely not being advertised yet. I'd say it is just as productive, and possibly more productive than applying for jobs that have hundreds, if not thousands of people applying for the same job.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:45 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,213,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Is this tactic too aggressive? I've been contacting employers I know that have lost older workers unexpectedly trying to get the jump on a job vacancy before they are advertised. I've got one interview out of it so far, but I was way underqualified for the position that was open.
I don't see a problem with it. The best way to handle it, however, is to not let on that you KNOW someone died there. Otherwise, you are going to look bad to the prospective employer and probably not get the job. If someone mentions that the previous person died, please look shocked and saddened.

Also, considering that MOST people who die are older (i.e. retired), unless you live in a very big city (which I guess Spokane is), or a lot of younger people are dying there aren't going to be *that* many jobs to choose from that you are qualified to fill.

But as far as the ethics are concerned, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. (You might also look at at wedding announcements where the bride and/or groom is moving away to start their life together and announcements where people have joined the military (leaving a job open somewhere).

Good luck in your job efforts.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't see a problem with it. The best way to handle it, however, is to not let on that you KNOW someone died there. Otherwise, you are going to look bad to the prospective employer and probably not get the job. If someone mentions that the previous person died, please look shocked and saddened.

Also, considering that MOST people who die are older (i.e. retired), unless you live in a very big city (which I guess Spokane is), or a lot of younger people are dying there aren't going to be *that* many jobs to choose from that you are qualified to fill.

But as far as the ethics are concerned, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. (You might also look at at wedding announcements where the bride and/or groom is moving away to start their life together and announcements where people have joined the military (leaving a job open somewhere).

Good luck in your job efforts.

20yrsinBranson
Those are some good additional places to look. I'll check those as well. I tend to look for people that died from their 40s to 60s. There are a lot that die before 65 though. Our country is 50 percent obese and we have a lot of smokers. I just have to wonder if they took leave before dying instead of it being sudden and unexpected.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM

225 posts, read 1,116,346 times
This is an old trick used by us baby boomers for years. In a small town like where I live (50k) for some reason everyone is proud (usually) of where they worked and 90 percent of the obits list the employer and about half even go as far as to list what he/she did.

How I have handled this in the past is merely send a resume and let the chips fall where they may. Companies get resumes all the time and unless you do something stupid like say "I see in the paper so and so died" on your cover letter, I don't think it is unacceptable practice. I know of people who have done a lot worse to get a job. It's every man/woman for themselves in this economy.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,704,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Those are some good additional places to look. I'll check those as well. I tend to look for people that died from their 40s to 60s. There are a lot that die before 65 though. Our country is 50 percent obese and we have a lot of smokers. I just have to wonder if they took leave before dying instead of it being sudden and unexpected.

I would expand that to include 20's to 40's. Lots in this age group have dangerous hobbies...motorcycles, BASE jumping, skydiving, etc. that frequently land them in the cemetary....suddenly. Plus, you may be more qualified for their level of job than that of some older person that spent decades climbing the career ladder.

I gotta say, you remind me of a young fella I used to work with. 29 years old and in terrific shape, ran the Marine Corp marathon every year, biked a hundred miles at a clip. He was real zealot...constantly predicting the demise of the rest of us in the office. If he saw you drinking a Diet Coke, you were in for a diatribe about aspartame, eating something he didn't approve of, etc.

Things sort of didn't work out for him though...he became ill and was gone in 6 weeks...pancreatic cancer. Didn't make thirty. We always wondered if there wasn't a little karma involved...

Old 01-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I would expand that to include 20's to 40's. Lots in this age group have dangerous hobbies...motorcycles, BASE jumping, skydiving, etc. that frequently land them in the cemetary....suddenly. Plus, you may be more qualified for their level of job than that of some older person that spent decades climbing the career ladder.

I gotta say, you remind me of a young fella I used to work with. 29 years old and in terrific shape, ran the Marine Corp marathon every year, biked a hundred miles at a clip. He was real zealot...constantly predicting the demise of the rest of us in the office. If he saw you drinking a Diet Coke, you were in for a diatribe about aspartame, eating something he didn't approve of, etc.

Things sort of didn't work out for him though...he became ill and was gone in 6 weeks...pancreatic cancer. Didn't make thirty. We always wondered if there wasn't a little karma involved...
We shall see I suppose. I've got almost 14 months until I'm 30. I would think that even if I didn't get the deceased's job I might be able to get a job a little further down the rung due to an internal promotion. Now in a few years though people will be able to probably have a good shot at getting a position they aren't as qualified for because the loss of the Boomers will make for slim pickings with more jobs than potential employees to fill them. Employers will have to *gasp* train people and build their own experienced workforce.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,949,586 times
Quote:
In about 10 minutes I've found two jobs that are most likely not being advertised yet. I'd say it is just as productive, and possibly more productive than applying for jobs that have hundreds, if not thousands of people applying for the same job.
Really? What job did that woman have at huntwood industries? It says she had an interior design degree but that doesn't mean she worked there as a designer. For all you know she worked as a secretary or accountant or factory floor worker or security guard. And she was there 25 years. Do you have the experience that makes you even remotely qualified for her job? And how do you know that the reason the job isn't advertised is that they've already filled the position?? And how do you know there aren't other people applying for this hypothetical job?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Funny how life works out. I know a woman who son was murdered and ended up losing her job. For obvious reasons she was having a difficult time. Her boss told her she "needed to get over it". Wouldn't cut her a break and had no empathy for her situation.

She ended up becoming a housekeeper in a hotel.

Later on found out the same man ended up losing his daughter in a car accident.

The OP says he is KY, I know his name says Spokane Job Seeker, but he seems to be looking at obits from all over the country. What's the point?

Seems to have a chip on their shoulder with people in their 40s and 50s, if you're so anxious to replace someone look at people your own age as well.

I'm in FL and let me tell you a week doesn't go by when some 20 something idiot doesn't kill themselves on either a motorcycle or by drunk/reckless driving.

If you're serious than start looking at obits of people 30 and under.

Because quite honestly, you're not going to have the qualifications of someone who has worked at a company for 25yrs.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I've highlighted the relevant passages.

Firstly, a lot of people responding here are either unemployed, or have experienced it in the last 2 years, so your initial assumptions are incorrect.

Second - based on this post and previous ones of yours, you are under 30. You served in the military and were in college until a couple of years ago. From 2008 until now, you have been unemployed for over a year and spent 10 months doing lower level work and a short period in an area related to your profession. Correct?

I hate to break it to you but you're not qualified for a mid-level career position. That would require at least 7-10 years of relevant professional experience and there are bucket loads of people ahead of you on the list. You are strictly still in the entry-level, next step up phase.

Not to be insensitive, it's strictly business.
Exactly. So looking to replace people who have 10 to 20 yrs work experience is going to happen just because they have "crossed over".

Start reading those obits of the 20 somethings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment