Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:29 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,615 times

Advertisements

Is this tactic too aggressive? I've been contacting employers I know that have lost older workers unexpectedly trying to get the jump on a job vacancy before they are advertised. I've got one interview out of it so far, but I was way underqualified for the position that was open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
It isn't a question about being aggressive but is it really necessary? I mean, in NYC people do that to find apartments because frankly it is hard to find a good one but has the job market gotten so bad that one needs to resort to reading obituaries to find their future job? Not to mention it would be a waste of time anyway. Most people actually die when they have lived a long life, therefore they retired. So, I really think that there are better ways to find jobs.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM

The job market is that bad yes. It's actually working so far for me. Baby Boomers are already claiming there retirements to be so bad that they can't retire. Many Boomers also chose not to be promoted so a lot of the jobs that 46 to 65 year olds are filling are mid-level positions. The Boomer die off is going to unclog a lot of stagnant fields and force them to start hiring again.

Check the obituaries in your own town and you will find plenty of people that are in their early 50's dying early. The job I called for today stated in the obituary that the man died unexpectedly. I'm also in the southeast where people don't live as healthy as they do in other parts of the country. The guy's nickname in the obituary was "Big H" which makes me think he was a 400 pounder that had massive heart failure.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
. The Boomer die off is going to unclog a lot of stagnant fields and force them to start hiring again.
Technology has already started replacing them and has been quite some time.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 AM

580 posts, read 2,292,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Is this tactic too aggressive? I've been contacting employers I know that have lost older workers unexpectedly trying to get the jump on a job vacancy before they are advertised. I've got one interview out of it so far, but I was way underqualified for the position that was open.
That's is some creative thinking. Even if that position was filled internally, it would probably result in a lesser position being open as long as the company decided to fill it. Don't know if it would work or not, by why not give it a shot. It can't hurt.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
How do you know what job they did never mind which company they worked for and their position in the company just by reading the obituaries in the paper? You might just get the profession if it's something like teacher, doctor, priest etc but you would never get any further job information in newspaper obituaries here.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 AM

I only look for those that are of the age to still be in the workforce and a lot of times it does give one or two sentences about their profession. Sometimes it even says what position they did there.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Technology has already started replacing them and has been quite some time.
People can never be replaced.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
That's is some creative thinking. Even if that position was filled internally, it would probably result in a lesser position being open as long as the company decided to fill it. Don't know if it would work or not, by why not give it a shot. It can't hurt.

Exactly. The one interview I got was for a lesser position. The person who had died was 46 and a Q&A supervisor. They were hiring for a welder and even had a program to test the aptitude of a welder. I went for a week to the company unpaid to learn a little about welding, but the company decided my welding aptitude (I've never welded anything in my life) was not enough to warrant them to continue training me. The fact remains though that I was still given an opportunity ahead of anyone else and the next time the outcome might land me in a great position.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Creative, but seems pretty inefficient. Seems like it would work if you have broad skills or non very specific skills.

I mean, I can only imagine how long it would take for me to find someone in the obits who is a project manager, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment