Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM

275 posts, read 774,008 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am at the end of my rope and I feel like I need to do something different to get a job. It is obvious I won't be able to get a job on my own. I have been trying for the last 3 years and I can no longer deal with temp projects. My self esteem is down, I am constantly depressed and sick of not having enough money. So, while I was looking around in linkedin website, I came across a former boss of mine from way back. I worked for him years ago before I went to law school and loved him as a boss. Well, it turns out he is out of the corporate world now but has his own business as career change coach. I called him up and signed up with him. In exchange for a monthly fee he will help me in my job search. What do you all think about career coaches? Fee is not small, especially for an unemployed person but I figure I can starve for three months if I am going to get a job out of this. I think it is worth the try. Has anyone tried something like this? What should I be careful about? Normally, I can't trust anyone enough to pay for something like this but I know this individual and I know he was pretty up in the corp. chain. I am sure he has tons of contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 12:41 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,554,911 times
Excuse me, did you mean to say Career Coach?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Yes, sorry, that's what happens when you don't read what you write.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 PM

2,041 posts, read 4,559,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. For a moment there I had a vision of something like the proverbial "casting couch." P.S. I apologize for going off topic so early in the thread.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,811,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Ok, I am at the end of my rope and I feel like I need to do something different to get a job. It is obvious I won't be able to get a job on my own. I have been trying for the last 3 years and I can no longer deal with temp projects. My self esteem is down, I am constantly depressed and sick of not having enough money. So, while I was looking around in linkedin website, I came across a former boss of mine from way back. I worked for him years ago before I went to law school and loved him as a boss. Well, it turns out he is out of the corporate world now but has his own business as career change couch. I called him up and signed up with him. In exchange for a monthly fee he will help me in my job search. What do you all think about career couches? Fee is not small, especially for an unemployed person but I figure I can starve for three months if I am going to get a job out of this. I think it is worth the try. Has anyone tried something like this? What should I be careful about? Normally, I can't trust anyone enough to pay for something like this but I know this individual and I know he was pretty up in the corp. chain. I am sure he has tons of contacts.
Career Coach : Watch Out for This Job Hunting Scam

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Well, I did change it right away but obviously wasn't fast enough for you guys :-)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,035,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post

Yes, they did.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:27 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Ok, I am at the end of my rope and I feel like I need to do something different to get a job. It is obvious I won't be able to get a job on my own. I have been trying for the last 3 years and I can no longer deal with temp projects. My self esteem is down, I am constantly depressed and sick of not having enough money. So, while I was looking around in linkedin website, I came across a former boss of mine from way back. I worked for him years ago before I went to law school and loved him as a boss. Well, it turns out he is out of the corporate world now but has his own business as career change coach. I called him up and signed up with him. In exchange for a monthly fee he will help me in my job search. What do you all think about career coaches? Fee is not small, especially for an unemployed person but I figure I can starve for three months if I am going to get a job out of this. I think it is worth the try. Has anyone tried something like this? What should I be careful about? Normally, I can't trust anyone enough to pay for something like this but I know this individual and I know he was pretty up in the corp. chain. I am sure he has tons of contacts.
Career Coach is another name for scam artist. Lots of reports about that down here. Basically promise they have in's for many companies. Take your money and nothing.

Good luck with that

Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Sounds like a complete waste of money. Now if this "coach" would guarantee employment or your money back after a few months that might be somewhat enticing.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM

So none of you believe this guy can assist me? I mean I did work with him and I know he does have "in's" for many companies (he is also very popular in sales people training seminars). I am little anxious now. As I said I would never pay someone I know nothing about but he is my former boss. He was a CFO of a multimillion dollar company and I was his executive assistant. I can't believe he would try to scam me. Well, I made a deal for three months. If he can't help me at the end of three months, I'll just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment