Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times

Advertisements

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39610556
Quote:
Some [companies] asked staffers to take on a broader array of duties — duties that used to be spread among multiple jobs.

Now, someone who hopes to get those jobs must meet the new requirements. As a result, some database administrators now have to manage network security.
Quote:
The broader responsibilities mean it's harder to fill many of the jobs that are open these days. It helps explain why many companies complain they can't find qualified people for certain jobs, even with 4.6 unemployed Americans, on average, competing for each opening.
Quote:
But the number of openings has surged 37 percent [from Oct. 2009 to Oct. 2010]. And yet the unemployment rate has actually risen during that time.
In short, companies want human hybrids - but only pay for one worker/one skill set.

It's dastardly.

Last edited by grimace8; 02-07-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:35 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
I guess part of this depends on how many hours they are asking their employees to work. If they are expecting the working hours of one person, but want them to know multiple jobs that is much different than expecting them to work many more hours to get the multiple jobs done.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM

623 posts, read 1,602,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guess part of this depends on how many hours they are asking their employees to work. If they are expecting the working hours of one person, but want them to know multiple jobs that is much different than expecting them to work many more hours to get the multiple jobs done.
I would agree. If you can combine two jobs into one and get them done without having to burden an employee with much longer work weeks then it makes sense to me.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
It will back fire in the long run. People will either get burnt out and quit, or demand more money/benefits. Right now many workers take it because they are scared of being unemployed, but eventually the tide will turn as it always does in this country.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
This has been going on since the crash, and many of the combo jobs are in un-related fields, for instance they want receptionist/secretaries who can do web design and development and oh lets add in bookkeeping all for $10. an hour without benefits.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
News Headlines

In short, companies want human hybrids - but only pay for one worker/one skill set.

It's dastardly.
As a worker its frustrating but I imagine it was frustrating during the boom years when companies had to hire anyone and everyone to keep up with demand.

Especially in the retail sector your hiring people who come in when they feel like it, call off, come in stoned, etc b/c you had to. There were jobs galore so employees had the pick of jobs.

Now its the opposite and companies are taking advantage of us workers.

Not much we can do about it, just gotta be grateful to have a job.

Dont like it dig deep into your entrepreneurial reserves and start up your own company and be your own boss. You'll be working a number of peoples jobs and long hours but at least its for yourself and you reap all the rewards, well all the rewards Obama and the Illinois liberals dont take off the top first.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,046 times
Not really a huge surprise for me b/c I know people who have done this. At my last job, my original title had nothing to do with secretary work or data entry, but they made me do that claiming they would eventually hire a secretary (they never did). I have two other friends who worked in companies which had massive layoffs. One was a temp worker who was originally given the job of secretary then they gave her two other job titles with no raise and they expected her to do the work of three people at once. Another worked in importing and they wanted her to do the workload of three importers without overtime pay. If she didn't get the work done in time, the woman would pull her into her office and scream at her for being lazy. Both of them quit those jobs and they now have new jobs.

I'm not surprised that this has happened and it might become the new norm. However, it's a huge mistake on the part of employers b/c when those people quit they end up having to fill the workload of the previous people they fired PLUS the person who quit. Then, they have to invest more money into hiring and training new people.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you don't want to do it, they'll find someone who will:

Let me guess... These are some of your disgruntled employees who are just waiting to bail ship?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
One was a temp worker who was originally given the job of secretary then they gave her two other job titles with no raise and they expected her to do the work of three people at once.
Was some bogus pretty "label" slapped on as justification, e.g.: "skill building"? LOL. Sad, I know- I shouldn't be laughing. It's just so disgusting. Anyway, when I wrote "Shocker", I was being sarcastic because I too don't consider it something new. Maybe the article's author is saying it's becoming the norm now, as you mentioned. Thanks everyone for your responses. I still wanna hear what others think about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
However, it's a huge mistake on the part of employers b/c when those people quit they end up having to fill the workload of the previous people they fired PLUS the person who quit.
Post rated positively. Such employers try to "ride the ride" for as long as possible, and deal with the mess later.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Was some bogus pretty "label" slapped on as justification, e.g.: "skill building"? LOL. Sad, I know- I shouldn't be laughing. It's just so disgusting. Anyway, when I wrote "Shocker", I was being sarcastic because I too don't consider it something new. Maybe the article's author is saying it's becoming the norm now, as you mentioned. Thanks everyone for your responses. I still wanna hear what others think about this.

Post rated positively. Such employers try to "ride the ride" for as long as possible, and deal with the mess later.
Unfortunately, they didn't give either one a new bogus label b/c that probably would have given my friends a bargaining chip for more pay. One now works in a job which most on here would see as "scandalous" but it's legal and she earns a lot of money doing it (plus, she seems to enjoy it). Another friend found a job working for a paralegal.

Thanks for the rating. I agree that employers are trying to "ride the ride" in order to save money. Some are working on the fact that the hiring market is now an employers market. However, it could cost them a lot in the long run due to high turnover rates, retraining, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment