Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,976,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And I wasn't trying to put down the OP in any way. More getting the OP to think about why he is in the situation he currently is.
Why am I in this situation? I guess I don't know what's the next best step to take and that's why I'm here asking for help. I need to have a better grasp as to how to bring this up or if I bring it up altogether.

Do I just shoot off an email to my manager and tell him what's on my mind? If his response isn't satisfactory, do I start looking for another job, try other avenues (the manager above him)? I may be talented in certain technical aspects, but I'm a little rusty as to how to handle situations like this. I don't want to set a fire that I can't put out, you know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
What is your relationship like with your manager? Do you think he would be receptive to these ideas? I definitely would try and talk with him. And not through an email. Have a face to face conversation.

Do you have a review process that addresses things like this? Like asking what you think your next step should be?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I'm not here to brag, so let's clear that up first. This is a serious situation I'm trying to cope with.

I need fast-paced, stimulating work; that's just who I am. I need to be in charge of organizing projects, communicating with people, troubleshooting, problem-solving complex equations, etc. Big picture kind of stuff; think of Ari Gold from Entourage. I'm a younger version of that, but I'm very capable and can prove it if given the opportunity.

A couple years ago, I landed a job with a company that I had no particular interest in. I just needed a job and they offered me one. I took what I could get. I thought it would turn into something bigger and better, at least that's how it was described to me in the interview. Here I am, two years later and I feel like I'm nothing more than a glorified customer service rep who responds to emails all day. I'm not learning anything new. I'm afraid this will interfere with my career, because my skills are stagnating.

Question: It it a waste of time for me to ask my employer about something more challenging...to learn something new? Would it have already come if it were available?

Or should I not bother and just look for something else?

FYI: Management is very hands off; hardly see or hear from them throughout the year. Not sure if they know I still exist actually haha. Makes me feel "so ronery".
It seems quite odd to me that in the two years you have been with this company that other opportunities have not presented themselves to you. Has no one left or died or gotten promoted in that entire time? Surely, there are openings within the company that you can apply for. Corporations always prefer to promote from within whenever possible. Have you talked to your HR department and determined if there are any openings to apply for?

Before I would look elsewhere I would investigate what is available there. You already have two years invested in this company. Why reinvent the wheel?

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What is your relationship like with your manager? Do you think he would be receptive to these ideas? I definitely would try and talk with him. And not through an email. Have a face to face conversation.

Do you have a review process that addresses things like this? Like asking what you think your next step should be?
Relationship is good, but almost non-existent. I mentioned in an earlier post that the managers are very hands-off. I rarely see them, maybe once or twice a year. For that reason alone, I feel unappreciated.

My best avenue for contacting him would be via telephone or email. He is based in another state altogether. Kind of wacky, isn't it? I miss the days where my manager's office was within walking distance. It is not the case here.

As far as review process haha, all I can do is laugh. I pleaded for a review after my first year. He kept blowing it off. Never happened. Second year, nothing. Going into year three, nothing. But he has been on a couple vacations so far this year. Does this shed any light on this company's philosophy or management style? This is all new to me. I've always had face-to-face access with my managers in the past.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It seems quite odd to me that in the two years you have been with this company that other opportunities have not presented themselves to you. Has no one left or died or gotten promoted in that entire time? Surely, there are openings within the company that you can apply for. Corporations always prefer to promote from within whenever possible. Have you talked to your HR department and determined if there are any openings to apply for?

Before I would look elsewhere I would investigate what is available there. You already have two years invested in this company. Why reinvent the wheel?

20yrsinBranson
No one has left, nor has anyone died. Only one promotion occurred that I'm aware of, and that was some guy taking on the managerial duties of a warehouse as a result of a new contract. That didn't really apply to me, since I'm not in that line of work. I wasn't even asked about it.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,595,193 times
If you talk face-to-face, maybe ask if there's anything that's stressing them out, driving them nutso, etc. Add an element of concern/care to it. If they ask Hmm, that's bizarre. Why would you want to know that?, say you've got a natural knack for problem-solving and you really truly do believe in "team". This shows you care about them, not just about improving your roles. And I'm not saying that's you (in blue text) - I'm saying you should remember: Jaded bosses tend to be on the defensive when a worker requests a meeting, e.g.: Ugh. What does this person want from me? Nix that vibe from the room as fast as you can. Make it clear the meeting is about them + you = the company.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Well, that does seem to make things more difficult. I have never had to deal with a long distance manager before. I would at least have the conversation on the phone then instead of email if you could.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,595,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Does this shed any light on this company's philosophy or management style?
Yes. It does. A bad light.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,157 times
I was going to write a whole story... but deleted it. I'll DM it to you if you want to read it, but I've been in this exact situation and it eventually had some really bad consequences. Granted, I don't know the precise structure, office politics, management, etc. at your job... but I would really recommend looking elsewhere for work.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Yes. It does. A bad light.
I know, right? It blows my mind that a group of managers can agree that this is the best way to manage a company. I mean, they were all young once, right? They knew how they felt when they wanted to move up the corporate ladder and how much of a good thing it was to have a more hands-on manager? Why would it be any different for the next person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment