Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,965 times

Advertisements

What are some of the craziest things you have been "coached" on at work? Or, something you thought was ridiculous that was brought up in an evaluation, performance review, or just in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times
Told to keep my "Yankee" in check.......this was in 1988 when I worked for a manufacturing company in Texas

Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,564 times
I had a boss who would chastize me for not walking around the building finding cakes and cutting corner pieces off and smuggeling them back to him. I geuss he really liked cake. I would try and lurk around functions going on in other departments and sneak cake for him. Usually I was just too embarrassed to go through with it and my boss would bring it up during reviews and at other random times that I wasn't that loyal. "If you can't go cut me a piece of cake, what good are you around here, a retard could do your job" etc.
This was my first job after completeing my Masters degree, LOL. I am also a woman, I never noticed him ordering the guys in my office to sneak him snacks. Maybe I was just a pushover, but I really could not afford to get fired, so for months I walked around hiding pieces of cake under binders etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,701,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
I had a boss who would chastize me for not walking around the building finding cakes and cutting corner pieces off and smuggeling them back to him. I geuss he really liked cake. I would try and lurk around functions going on in other departments and sneak cake for him. Usually I was just too embarrassed to go through with it and my boss would bring it up during reviews and at other random times that I wasn't that loyal. "If you can't go cut me a piece of cake, what good are you around here, a retard could do your job" etc.
This was my first job after completeing my Masters degree, LOL. I am also a woman, I never noticed him ordering the guys in my office to sneak him snacks. Maybe I was just a pushover, but I really could not afford to get fired, so for months I walked around hiding pieces of cake under binders etc.
Funny, Funny ^^^^. The "Yank" in me would never have hidden my cake napping duties but would have announced "OK, I'm on cake poaching duty.....you all know that's part of my job .....gimme a corner piece for George!!!"

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Funny, Funny ^^^^. The "Yank" in me would never have hidden my cake napping duties but would have announced "OK, I'm on cake poaching duty.....you all know that's part of my job .....gimme a corner piece for George!!!"

I feel ya Squirl. As a fellow Yank (and proud of it), I actually did sidle up to a departmental BDay party once and jokingly say I was on cake patrol for "George" as they were wrapping up. The group just went dead silent and one woman said "Don't you think that's a little unprofessional?"
I really didn't know what to say. They were at the point where they were all leaving the room and throwing things away. Apparently no one was in a good mood that day. I felt pretty embarrassed so I started developing elaborate ways to smuggle cake, donuts and cookies for my boss, such as in a mail cart. It always caused me to sweat when my boss would call me in his office and tell me he didn't bring lunch that day because such-and-such department was having a lunch meeting and it was my duty to waltz in there and fix him a plate.
My boss was the number 2 guy in the company, with the HR dept in his pocket, so I did my food and cake smuggeling duties while I had to.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,180,965 times
Wow^^^

I was curious on these types of things, as I sometimes wonder if it is just where I work.

Last week, I received my yearly evaluation.

It was "brought" up that my Managers Manager was upset because a couple of times last year she walked by my desk on her way out and said goodbye and I did not respond.

Ummmm..... First, I did, I waved. Why did I wave? Because I supervise agents that work from home....and I was on the phone with them.

How petty can you get?!?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Told to keep my "Yankee" in check.......this was in 1988 when I worked for a manufacturing company in Texas
This is one reason I'm afraid to relocate to the South. I don't think I could keep my "Yankee" in check, whatever it means.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,773,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think I could keep my "Yankee" in check, whatever it means.
It means being curt, efficient and enterprising. Southerners often prefer a passive-aggressive approach with shows of false coutesy to a brisk, matter of fact bluntness.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,098,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It means being curt, efficient and enterprising. Southerners often prefer a passive-aggressive approach with shows of false coutesy to a brisk, matter of fact bluntness.
Well...OK....

But I like to put it this way:

Yankee:

"You're an @%$@&*("

Redneck:

"I like your style."

Redneck to other colleague:

"Let's throw that @%$@&*( under the bus."

Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,640,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
What are some of the craziest things you have been "coached" on at work? Or, something you thought was ridiculous that was brought up in an evaluation, performance review, or just in general?
I worked for a real hateful witch for a brief few months-- I quit.

She had my supervisor give me a verbal warning for not smiling enough in the office.

So.. since I was being formally warned about having a better attitude evidenced by smiling-- I began to smile in the office. A lot.

I was then warned about "sarcastically smiling."

I also had a talking to about not going to the manager's office when she would finally arrive to work to ask her about her new puppy-- she knew this was being spiteful since I loved animals.

I told my supervisor-- well according to the 3 pages, single spaced style, small font-- we are to begin work IMMEDIATELY and not loitering around the coffee machine.

The rules were seriously written out in paragraph form ,covering 3 entire pages, tiny font, and single space.

It was a joy to tell them I was leaving. *lol*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment