Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times

Advertisements

I don't have enough time right now to explain it, but after months of stress and cowering under a controlling and workaholic boss, I just quit my freelance job.
Though the weight of finding new work is huge and has been for months, the weight of this job is now gone! I couldn't hold on any longer until I found a new position. I'd advise against quitting without having anything lined up, but in my case, I had to leave this pile of stress and depression-inducing environment behind. *sigh*
Just had to share. Now instead of being underemployed, I'm unemployed. It wasn't on impulse; I'd been contemplating this for months. It's a relief, in any case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Well good for you! Hope you have accumulated some savings to fall back on. Take a breath or two, take a couple of weeks off (or however long it takes) and relax, reorganize yourself and then start anew. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:32 PM

70 posts, read 299,372 times
Congrats on unloading unneeded stress....life is too short....enjoy!

Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Good for you, seriously. I am about to do the same.

Life really is too short. I have spent too many years of my career working under crappy conditions and thinking that I had to take it.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
I've been job hunting for about a month and I started getting call backs today. Hopefully things are starting to pick back up a bit. I'm happy for you, nonetheless. Now you'll have plenty of time to find a better fitting job. Staffing agencies, Indeed, Monster, Careerbuilder, Simplyhired.com are all your best friends now. Good luck on your new journey!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I've been job hunting for about a month and I started getting call backs today. Hopefully things are starting to pick back up a bit. I'm happy for you, nonetheless. Now you'll have plenty of time to find a better fitting job. Staffing agencies, Indeed, Monster, Careerbuilder, Simplyhired.com are all your best friends now. Good luck on your new journey!
Good for you Z!

To the OP good for you too! I know what it is like to be in that position, and once the load is lifted, it changes everything. Just be patient, I know sometimes you want to hear right away when you send in your resume and cover letter (sometimes it happens), but you will see little by little things will trickle in.

As for me, my boss has had me call companies who have been out of business since 1995 and also had me call people that were dead, but he wasn't aware that they were. So yeah I understand you OP.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
I applaud your decision. I have buried many fellow employees and friend who work at jobs that literally "killed" them.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Good. I told my Mom, years before she was terminated from her job to find something better. She did not...and was fired/laid off years later...now she is too old to find anything. Glad you jumped ship.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:54 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Thanks, everyone. I'd been sticking around for much longer than I should have. There are a few prospective jobs in the air (I've reached the "final stage" of the hiring process with a couple of places...not many, but some), but I could no longer wait to secure anything before quitting. And the fact that my boss was MAD that I quit and proceeded to insult me via email proves that I don't need to be offering my services to his business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Congrats on the callbacks!! I hope we both find something new.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Congrats on the callbacks!! I hope we both find something new.
Fo sho amigo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment