Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times

Advertisements

I want to get into special education teaching. It's what my dad did and I used to be a teacher's aid for a pre-school class. And I was good at that. I am thinking of getting a degree in English and teaching credential. Anything else I would need to go in that profession?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
A degree in English probably wouldn't have much to do with teaching special ed. You'd likely have to double major in special education.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 PM

The way my college works is you can get a degree in English, and then get a special education teaching credential.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:54 PM

What is the starting pay for special education teachers?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Look up the districts around you, and they will have salary schedules posted.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
You want to teach history, geography, special ed, english as a second language, and be an urban planner. Isn't about time you chose something, and finished college?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
You want to teach history, geography, special ed, english as a second language, and be an urban planner. Isn't about time you chose something, and finished college?
Well I will have my AA and I got into cal poly slo and cal poly pomona for urban planning. but cal poly slo probably won't allow me to take college algebra over Summer, so my application will be withdrawn.

But yeah I think I will settle on being a special education teacher.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The way my college works is you can get a degree in English, and then get a special education teaching credential.
It doesn't seem like you can make up your mind as far as careers go, but it's a big decision so I understand.

As far getting a degree in English and then getting a special ed teaching credential, that does not seem very legit and even if that's the way your school operates regarding special ed training, many employers won't think that's enough and won't hire you after graduation.

My friend is just finishing her special education degree and she majored in it from the beginning and had to take four years of special ed-related classes and then did a year of student teaching.

Special ed is a very tough field to be in and you definitely need many classes to prepare you for teaching in that capacity. You should also make sure you can handle it before you make a commitment. In high school I thought I wanted to be a special ed teacher until I mentored kids with autism who would sit in class, plucking out their eye lashes and chewing on their hand until it bled. That is when I realized special ed wasn't for me.

So if you are serious about this as your profession, you should probably transfer schools and go to a college with a better special ed program because having an English degree wouldn't be enough to get you a special ed job and it also doesn't make much sense.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,570 times
Hi... HELP... Current teachers, your advice and insight would be appreciated... I am older and looking to move into the education field as a new "empty nester" career. I spoke to NTEC, who claimed that I could quickly receive a conditional teaching certificate and begin teaching while I continued my studies for full certification. They pushed me away from K-thru-4th grade (my preference) and into Special Education... claiming finding work would be far easier. Now, having read a few threads on this web-site, I question my ability to find a Special Ed teaching job... and my ability to adjust to what sounds like a terrible workload and work environment. Anyone out there with hands on experience in Special Ed?... THX, Jim

Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
With a wife in Special Education, I would strongly suggest that you spend some time volunteering at a school in their transition or resource room, and see what it's like. The para-professionals do most of the heavy-lifting (literally) when it comes to things like diaper changes, biting and seizures, but the teachers have to deal with parents and their attorneys.
Many of the teachers burn out in 5 years and go back to regular classrooms so there is a high turnover, and openings every year in most districts.

For jimmyp2713, yes, that conditional certificate is sometimes done, when they are desperate for another special Ed teacher. First, depending on the kids assigned you may find it very physically demanding at your age. Second, pencil out the money. What will it cost for the actual certification at your local college, and how many years will you work before retiring? It may cost more than you make at a typical salary of $50k and tuition cost of $20k. Compare to a job that pays the same or close without the tuition cost.

Third, and perhaps most important, is that you may get very little support. Things like writing IEPs, meeting with parents and their lawyers, and scheduling paraprofessionals take a lot of time and skills, and to do that while attending classes at night is very hard even for the young. When you need help, will someone be available that knows what to do? You may be assigned to a school with several other special ed teachers, who are willing to help, but you may also be the only one there. A lot to consider carefully before jumping into it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment