Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,251,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For someone 19 years old who has never had a job (not even a simple paper route) and relies on his parents to not only support him through college as he pursues a Geography degree but expects to move back in with his parents upon graduation if he can't find employment, you certainly do have a lot of opinions about work and employment practices which you feel almost obliged to post about as absolute fact.

Thank goodness you have your parents to fall back on as you might be living back home for quite a while after graduation.
It is a good thing that families circle the wagons to keep the wolves away, otherwise we would all litterally hang alone. Even though he may be 19 I can back up most of what he is talking about as I have been navigting the minucha for almost 10 years as an engineer, I do well for myself but we are amongst ALOT of wolves and one has to be as shrewed as ever.

For one thing make sure no one can trace back your handle to your real identity and employers cant find these posts because employers will use underhanded tactics to weed out candidates. Its all a big game of keeping yourself from being stabbed in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,503,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And what is your solution to this "problem"? Should the gov't dictate salary?
Government jobs have certain pay scales. So at least they have some structure as to what the employees make.

I'm not saying the government should step in and tell companies what to pay their employees. But maybe companies should take a hint from the government pay scales. On average, private sector employees make more, so the government pay scales aren't completely relevant to the private sector. But part of the reason is probably CEO's driving up the average salary of private sector employees.

But if you clicked the link I posted on another post, you will see how the proportion of CEO pay to average worker pay has changed over the years (to the CEO's advantage). 40 years ago, CEO's made a lot more than the average worker, but nowhere near the outrageous salaries they make now. Why can't we go back to the way it was 40 years ago?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM

623 posts, read 1,606,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Your employer most definitely makes money at your expense. The employer takes 3 times your salary as profit. Does the employer really need that much? That's the point I'm trying to get across.

Let's say you make 100k...the employer takes 300k as a profit. That alone is enough to pay the salaries of many average people. But that's just the profit the employer makes off of 1 employee. Think about the profit the employer makes off of all the employees combined. Why does the employer need that much?
You really need to focus more in some economics courses before posting such jibberish.

That 200K left over is not profit. You have a huge number of costs associated with a business that the 200k is used for to pay those bills.

You don't calculate profit by adding up everyones salarys and then subracting that from the what the company made. You have to subtract every expense from salarys to toilet paper and then you are left with a true profit. Also you will find many of the good companies take a large portion of the profit and reinvest it in the business to provide future growth.

In your example you are using a gross profit example. What you really need to analyze is net profit. That tells a different story.

It's possible that I can have a gross profit of 5 millions dollars but after expenses I am only left with a few hundred thousand. Or I could be in the red.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM

623 posts, read 1,606,624 times
Quote:
Government jobs have certain pay scales. So at least they have some structure as to what the employees make.

I'm not saying the government should step in and tell companies what to pay their employees. But maybe companies should take a hint from the government pay scales. On average, private sector employees make more, so the government pay scales aren't completely relevant to the private sector. But part of the reason is probably CEO's driving up the average salary of private sector employees.

But if you clicked the link I posted on another post, you will see how the proportion of CEO pay to average worker pay has changed over the years (to the CEO's advantage). 40 years ago, CEO's made a lot more than the average worker, but nowhere near the outrageous salaries they make now. Why can't we go back to the way it was 40 years ago?
Your posts make me laugh. Very silly.

Companies are taking hints from government pay scales. The governement pays scales are what is bankrupting a lot of states.

There have been very rich CEO's for as long as I can go back in history. If you want to make what a CEO makes then go for it. You have just as much as a chance to do that as anyone.

You are a classic case of "i want what he has but I don't want to do anything for it"

Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Also when multinationals and gov cronies started breaking up the unions it drove wages way down, that started happening about the same time as out sourcing. Collective bargaining kept wages at an approriate level comensurate with the cost of living and an american standard of living, that has started to disappear the last decade.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,279,767 times
Quote:

And you think that paying a CEO less money will somehow translate in to other employees getting more money? It's not like there is a pool of salarly expense that has to be spent.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
You really need to focus more in some economics courses before posting such jibberish.

That 200K left over is not profit. You have a huge number of costs associated with a business that the 200k is used for to pay those bills.

You don't calculate profit by adding up everyones salarys and then subracting that from the what the company made. You have to subtract every expense from salarys to toilet paper and then you are left with a true profit. Also you will find many of the good companies take a large portion of the profit and reinvest it in the business to provide future growth.

In your example you are using a gross profit example. What you really need to analyze is net profit. That tells a different story.

It's possible that I can have a gross profit of 5 millions dollars but after expenses I am only left with a few hundred thousand.
I've taken an economics class, but we didn't learn much. It was the type of class where you get an easy A and you don't need to show up.

I'm taking an economics class over the summer. But I have no interest in it. I'm just taking it because I want to get the credits and graduate early.

I never said the 200k left over is all profit. I realize there are other expenses.

However, there are CEO's making millions of dollars (net pay). Obviously their company has a lot of profit.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,279,767 times
Quote:
I've taken an economics class, but we didn't learn much. It was the type of class where you get an easy A and you don't need to show up.

I'm taking an economics class over the summer. But I have no interest in it. I'm just taking it because I want to get the credits and graduate early.

I never said the 200k left over is all profit. I realize there are other expenses.

However, there are CEO's making millions of dollars (net pay). Obviously their company has a lot of profit.
You realize CEO's are employees as well, right? What if that CEO is brining in millions of dollars of revenue?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Companies are taking hints from government pay scales. The governement pays scales are what is bankrupting a lot of states.

There have been very rich CEO's for as long as I can go back in history. If you want to make what a CEO makes then go for it. You have just as much as a chance to do that as anyone.

You are a classic case of "i want what he has but I don't want to do anything for it"
The reason its bankrupting states is becuase the average private sector employee has already either had their job out sourced or their pay dramaticly cut or they have been laid off and had to take a new job at dramaticly lower wages .... thus the taxes they pay are less becuase they are now living near the poverty line, without any tax revenue the system falls apart. The states need to start divorcing themselves from teh fed gov because the fed gov is in bed with the multi nationals that are destroying our nation, everyone in washington is making a killing off of nafta and outsourcing and its bankrupting the states, they hold all the cards because they have the FBI, ATF, DEA and the federal military, the states have weakened national gaurd units that are federalizable.

Might does not make right, it just makes a miserable reality.

I think its good for the gov to shrink anyways but the reasons its happening are really ominous.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Government employees are paid less on average. However, I admit that in some cases, government workers make more than they should.

But the government salaries come from the taxpayers. That's why they bankrupt the states. Private sector salaries come from the company.

And I don't want a rich CEO's salary. I'd be content as long as I made a decent living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment