Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,234,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've taken an economics class, but we didn't learn much. It was the type of class where you get an easy A and you don't need to show up.

I'm taking an economics class over the summer. But I have no interest in it. I'm just taking it because I want to get the credits and graduate early.

I never said the 200k left over is all profit. I realize there are other expenses.

However, there are CEO's making millions of dollars (net pay). Obviously their company has a lot of profit.
Either manderly is mixing up lagitimate small and medium buisness with behemouth multi nationals that are chewing up and spitting out our entire nation or he is someone from which you should distance yourself from becuase he likely represents or is a major player in a multi national.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM

623 posts, read 1,603,532 times
Quote:
I've taken an economics class, but we didn't learn much. It was the type of class where you get an easy A and you don't need to show up.

I'm taking an economics class over the summer. But I have no interest in it. I'm just taking it because I want to get the credits and graduate early.

I never said the 200k left over is all profit. I realize there are other expenses.

However, there are CEO's making millions of dollars (net pay). Obviously their company has a lot of profit.
You have no clue how business works do you. The CEO is an EMPLOYEE of the company just like the janitor. The company could be making very little real profit and the CEO would still get his million(s) dollar salary because thats what they agreed to be paid when they took over. If they do a poor job they still get paid but they will probably be fired.

If so many companies were making millions in profits the stock market would be through the roof.

So take the latest info from Ford. They made a Q1 profit of 33 billion dollars yet they only have about 6 billion in cash. They just made it out of the red. You can make profit and still not make any money.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,479,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And you think that paying a CEO less money will somehow translate in to other employees getting more money? It's not like there is a pool of salarly expense that has to be spent.
You're right. Paying CEO's less money doesn't necessarily mean more money for the other employees. But at the very least, it would make the CEO pay to average worker pay ratio more reasonable. And if they lowered the CEO salary and they had extra money left over, what else would they do with it? There's a high chance the average worker would get a raise.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
And I don't want a rich CEO's salary. I'd be content as long as I made a decent living.
Maybe you should have done some checking before getting a degree in Geography. That's one of those "I work at Wendy's cause I can't a job degrees" I know a lot of friends who went off to school only to find what they went to school for is not a in demand job.

Find a different major and you will easily make a decent living.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
You have no clue how business works do you. The CEO is an EMPLOYEE of the company just like the janitor. The company could be making very little real profit and the CEO would still get his million(s) dollar salary because thats what they agreed to be paid when they took over. If they do a poor job they still get paid but they will probably be fired.

If so many companies were making millions in profits the stock market would be through the roof.

So take the latest info from Ford. They made a Q1 profit of 33 billion dollars yet they only have about 6 billion in cash. They just made it out of the red. You can make profit and still not make any money.
The link I posted that shows the ratio of CEO pay to average worker pay says it all.

And just because someone agreed to be paid a certain amount doesn't mean that can't change. There is such a thing as a pay cut or a raise.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You realize CEO's are employees as well, right? What if that CEO is brining in millions of dollars of revenue?
Then I ask how is he accomplishing that, sweat shops, outsourcing, wage slashing, lay offs, questionable imports or exports, hostile break up of unions, hostile take overs, anti trust/monopolys, etc. If he has lagitimate good ideas that are making money sure thats fine but to many multinationals these days are morally bankrupt and exploitive in nature, thats the real crux of this discussion.

No one faults lagitimate good ideas and being compensated for it, its when all the underhanded tactics come into play and working families get burned and when big companies are using underhanded tactics its nearly impossible for a lagit company to compete and they go under and all there well paid employees are forced to go work for 5 cents an hour at teh behemouth multi national, thats how the game is played.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
You're right. Paying CEO's less money doesn't necessarily mean more money for the other employees. But at the very least, it would make the CEO pay to average worker pay ratio more reasonable. And if they lowered the CEO salary and they had extra money left over, what else would they do with it? There's a high chance the average worker would get a raise.
What????

Why is it so important that the CEO pay to average worker pay ratio be more reasonable. It makes no sense unless your just jealous.

What else would they do with it???? Pass it on to the shareholders. Who do you think owns the company? Again you are clueless. Chopping off 50% of the salary of CEO's would not translate into higher pay for employees. That savings would be passed onto the shareholder.

I as a shareholder would want more for my share than I would for making sure billy gets a better salary even though he doesn't deserve it.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Maybe you should have done some checking before getting a degree in Geography. That's one of those "I work at Wendy's cause I can't a job degrees" I know a lot of friends who went off to school only to find what they went to school for is not a in demand job.

Find a different major and you will easily make a decent living.
You sound a lot like my mom when I said I wanted to major in Geography.

My mom said "I don't know if I want to pay for you to go to college if you're just going to work at Target when you graduate"

My mom wanted me to major in Geology

But you need a Master's degree to do anything worthwhile in geology. I'm not going to grad school. My employment outlook is better with a geography degree.

Anyway, I did some research before applying to colleges. Geography is in demand. My degree is a concentration in GIS, which is an in demand skill.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The link I posted that shows the ratio of CEO pay to average worker pay says it all.

And just because someone agreed to be paid a certain amount doesn't mean that can't change. There is such a thing as a pay cut or a raise.
What does it say? The only thing it says to people like you is "its not fair".

I have no problem with CEO's making millions of dollars providing the company they are running is doing well. When it is run poorly I would expect the CEO to be held accountable and fired. Which they usually are.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You sound a lot like my mom when I said I wanted to major in Geography.

My mom said "I don't know if I want to pay for you to go to college if you're just going to work at Target when you graduate"

My mom wanted me to major in Geology

But you need a Master's degree to do anything worthwhile in geology. I'm not going to grad school. My employment outlook is better with a geography degree.

Anyway, I did some research before applying to colleges. Geography is in demand. My degree is a concentration in GIS, which is an in demand skill.
So why the concern you won't make decent living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment