Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times

Advertisements

My company's policy on drive time depends on if we spend the night or not. If we do not spend the night somewhere, then we have a one hour deductable each way that is not paid. But if I drive somewhere and have to spend the night, then I get paid for all my drive time. When out of town, I get compensated for my meals, up to $25 and I have to show my receipts.

Your comapny's employee website may have something that explains compensation for out of town trips.

I would imagine if you have to drive to the office and you get in the boss' car, you'd only get paid after you left the office. But if he picked you up at home, the clock would start then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
I recently started a new job at a lesser pay scale and position than I have held in the past. After a few weeks I was unexpectedly promoted into a new position that just became available. I'm excited to have this opportunity, the pay will still be less than I've become accustomed to, but the position is one that I'm happy with, and I believe it is a good opportunity for me moving forward.

I'm however still an hourly employee, and have a question. The normal office I work at is in my general vicinity. I am being sent for training, and need to drive 4 hours each way for a week long training session. I will be leaving at 4:00 am and then be expected to train for 8 hours at the remote location each day that I'm away, my first and last day will effectively be 12 hour days when accounting for travel time. The company has offered to compensate gas expenses, food expenses, and pay for the hotel, as well as any study material of my choosing that I happen to pick up.

My question is as follows, Should I also get paid for the 8 hours of combined total travel time to this out of state office?

I've traveled with different companies in the past as a salary employee, and this is the first time I'm traveling as a hourly employee. I wasn't planning to bill them for this one, but would like to be able to understand the laws if trips like this become more routine.

Right now I'm just happy to have this unexpected opportunity so quickly in my term of employment.

Last edited by Have a Question; 03-11-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have a Question View Post
My question is as follows, Should I also get paid for the 8 hours of combined total travel time to this out of state office?
I'm sure some respondents will tell you what's "legal" in this situation but why don't you just nicely ask your manager or whoever is sending you on this trip? It's not a taboo question!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm sure some respondents will tell you what's "legal" in this situation but why don't you just nicely ask your manager or whoever is sending you on this trip? It's not a taboo question!

^^That! The legal answer is if you are driving during your regular work hours, yes, even if it on a weekend. However many companies don't pay for driving time to a training location....

Old 03-11-2012, 10:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
WHen I worked for one of the 'big Bells" telephone company, if I drove to a week's long training, I did not get paid. If I took some form of public transportation, they paid for that.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
^^That! The legal answer is if you are driving during your regular work hours, yes, even if it on a weekend. However many companies don't pay for driving time to a training location....
oh, also If you chose to drive rather than fly and they offer you a flight, they can pay you the normal flying time....and again the driving would have to occur during the normal hours of your work schedule. I don't think its really worth making a fuss over and I would never challenge a company about this issue. But, that's me....

Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I find it odd that they would waste 4 hours driving each way, isn't there an airport there?

I agree that you should be paid for any travel time and the hours you are actually working, with overtime pay for anything over 8 a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment