Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,901 times

Advertisements

My employer has written up a discipline notice about my performance. Part of the improvement plan they wrote includes requiring me to meet with a psychologist of their choosing. They indicated that they are going to talk with the psychologist to explain their concerns, then I will meet with him, and they will get a report.
It seems my rights are being violated if I am required to see the psychologist. The performance issues are general disatisfaction with my work, there are no psychological or medical issues that have been brought up.
Can they legally require me to take this step?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,659,410 times
I don't know, but it would seem that you cannot be forced to see a psychologist or a doctor or anyone.

did you check your employee handbook for policies? The employee handbook is what most companies go by.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,659,410 times
Actually on second thought, I don't think anyone can really force you to see a mental health provider, unless it's a court of law, and even then it is very difficult and someone would have to prove that a person is a danger to themselves or others.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
To my knowledge, they cannot force you to see a psychologist without your consent. They should have you sign off on it as a method to find a resolution to your misconduct. If you are not willing to work with them through this process, they will likely fire you.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Did you ask the specifically why they want you to see a psychologist?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,694,343 times
If the company suspects that your performance issues may be based on a disability, substance abuse, family issues, or any other issue with the definition to be explained and they are diung this under some form of recognized Employee Assistance or similar Program it may be their way of injecting some protection for you. Its a difficult subject because most companies require YOU take the first step and if in fact its verified, you must bring it to them and ask for consideration. But, there are some companies that will preempt all the processes to ensure employees are given the benefit of the doubt. You best know if your company is regular or special in how they care about employees. Of course, this may be some big bad no-way is it legal for the reasons they are doing it. That means, you need to seek competent legal advice from a lawyer who specializes in thee matters.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:10 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,078,491 times
What does your Personnel Policies Manual(employee handbook) say about it? The infraction must be a little bit more serious than you imply for it to get to the level of seeing a Psychologist about it.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
They can't force you...but they can fire you if you don't go. You don't have a right to keep your job. An employer can't fire you because of age, race, national origin, religion, sex, veteran status, familial status, but other than that, they have every right to fire you for any reason they want.

If they want you to see a psychologist and they will pay for it, they can let you go if you don't agree.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,841,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
They can't force you...but they can fire you if you don't go. You don't have a right to keep your job. An employer can't fire you because of age, race, national origin, religion, sex, veteran status, familial status, but other than that, they have every right to fire you for any reason they want.

If they want you to see a psychologist and they will pay for it, they can let you go if you don't agree.

NO WAY!! Your medical history is yours, not theirs. They can't require you to go to a Dr, and also require you to release your medical information. that why the military has their own Drs and people on staff to do that to the enlisted. Private workplace does not have the authority to demand that as part of your continued employment. Even the Police dept only recommends after a shooting, and then, the psychologist can only give an all clear, or didn't participate in sessions. HIPPA laws?? ever heard of them?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,543,625 times
What about HIPPA? Doesn't this psychologist have to maintain doctor/patient confidentiality if the patient doesn't authorize providing the information? I would let them make the appointment and the first thing you cover is maintaining your confidentiality and maybe it ends there. Some employers require you to pass a physical to be hired; this may not be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment