Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:12 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Is this thread serious?
I take it that you've never been on the receiving end of this? Having to work extra time because the "maternity Queen" didn't want to work. She's too busy enjoying herself and her newfound freedom.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
It's the law, and it's not just for pregnant women, but anyone with an illness or family member with illness needing help. Look up FMLA.
How is pregnancy an "illness"? Pregnancy is a PLANNED event, not unforeseen like a true disability. It's just a bunch of lazy women trying to get knocked up so they don't have to work. No wonder they supposedly get paid less than men. They take too much time off while everyone else has to work.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I take it that you've never been on the receiving end of this? Having to work extra time because the "maternity Queen" didn't want to work. She's too busy enjoying herself and her newfound freedom.
You don't have to work more than what your contract says. If you don't like what's going on, most states are will to work states, you can act on your right to leave.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
How is pregnancy an "illness"? Pregnancy is a PLANNED event, not unforeseen like a true disability. It's just a bunch of lazy women trying to get knocked up so they don't have to work. No wonder they supposedly get paid less than men. They take too much time off while everyone else has to work.
Men get paternity leave... 6 months in my office.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
Quote:
Pregnancy is not always a planned event. It is not an 'illness' but rather a 'medical condition' that requires medical care.

"They" aren't doing anything that you can't do too. If you don't like what "they" are doing, either quit or join them.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
A friend of mine's wife just had a baby and he was allowed to take off for paternity leave. Only two weeks of it was paid. I think that's fair.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Quote:
Would you want your wife or girlfriend working if she was about to birth your daughter/son?

Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,529 times
Wow-you sound like my old boss from years ago. Women have no place in the workforce if they decide to have children. Please-it's old and antiquated. At the school district when I started the policy in the contract read-"maternity leave was up to the discretion of the supervisor." Well believe me-he wanted you to pop out the baby and be back in the drivers seat of that school bus in 3 weeks max. Doesn't always work that way. I had a c-section that had complications-TMI for here to discuss-but it wasn't good. He flipped because the Dr wouldn't allow me to drive(I also wasn't allowed to drive my own car either), so I was "told to resign" my job since it was 4 weeks and I couldn't do my job. Nice guy huh? Next pregnancy I hid it until the 9th month(which was wearing bulking jackets and avoiding him until it got too hot in June)-I stayed driving that school bus til 7 days before my middle child was born-the last day of school. I went back on Aug.31st.

Maternity leave or even leave for a illness shouldn't be a issue. Look at the news this past week. Firing a guy because his wife has terminal cancer and he needed to modify the work schedule . It's backfired on them. Only here in America do we penalize people for having a child or becoming ill. Says a LOT about how low our values have become and how priorities are off. It's a sad state of affairs.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM

16 posts, read 23,244 times
If a woman needs to leave work to have a baby then she should have to formally put in her two weeks notice and then re-apply for the position if it is still available when she decides to return to work

Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by >'.'< View Post
If a woman needs to leave work to have a baby then she should have to formally put in her two weeks notice and then re-apply for the position if it is still available when she decides to return to work
Well, at the very least, it should be up to the employer how they want to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment