Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 AM

5 posts, read 25,622 times

Advertisements

Here's a little background on my situation:

I was out of work for most of '09, hired by a mfg company at start of '10, worked for just about a year, went on maternity leave and came back in April in a part time capacity when they created an assistant position for me in a different department.

Hubby and I have decided that it's in our best interests to move back to Boston to be close to my family to help with care of our infant and so I can go back to work full time and not have to dish out over half of my paycheck for daycare. If anyone is going to raise my kid it's us or it's family! There are many factors that have gone into our deicison to relo.

With that being said, I've never relocated in a regular business before. I've moved around alot in the past but I was in radio and in that business it's expected to always be job hopping and moving around the country. Should I tell my boss that I am looking at jobs out of state because we want to move back with my family? Or should I just treat this like any other job search and look and look and then when I get something, just give my 2 weeks? Just not sure how to approach this. I don't want to burn any bridges because I love my company and my management, it's just best that we move back closer to my family.

Any advice?? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGal81 View Post
Here's a little background on my situation:

I was out of work for most of '09, hired by a mfg company at start of '10, worked for just about a year, went on maternity leave and came back in April in a part time capacity when they created an assistant position for me in a different department.

Hubby and I have decided that it's in our best interests to move back to Boston to be close to my family to help with care of our infant and so I can go back to work full time and not have to dish out over half of my paycheck for daycare. If anyone is going to raise my kid it's us or it's family! There are many factors that have gone into our deicison to relo.

With that being said, I've never relocated in a regular business before. I've moved around alot in the past but I was in radio and in that business it's expected to always be job hopping and moving around the country. Should I tell my boss that I am looking at jobs out of state because we want to move back with my family? Or should I just treat this like any other job search and look and look and then when I get something, just give my 2 weeks? Just not sure how to approach this. I don't want to burn any bridges because I love my company and my management, it's just best that we move back closer to my family.

Any advice?? Thanks in advance!
What's the benefit of telling your boss? If it is so he might help you get another job in boston with your same company,then why not just use your company's internal job listings board and work it without him?
Do you have a matrix organization (one boss for your program, the other boss for your function or homeroom)?

Is your family on board with the huge responsibility of taking care of your kid 40-50 hours per week?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's the benefit of telling your boss? If it is so he might help you get another job in boston with your same company,then why not just use your company's internal job listings board and work it without him?
Do you have a matrix organization (one boss for your program, the other boss for your function or homeroom)?

Is your family on board with the huge responsibility of taking care of your kid 40-50 hours per week?

No benefit really. Just didn't know if it would be a courtesy to them to say "Hey, even though I'm doing great here and I know we have a great relationship, I'm going to be leaving you soon"...KWIM? My company is small...this location and one other one out west. I have a supervisor who I report to and then the CFO is his boss. And yes, my family is more than on board with watching my son...thrilled actually..lol.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
No benefit really. Just didn't know if it would be a courtesy to them to say "Hey, even though I'm doing great here and I know we have a great relationship, I'm going to be leaving you soon"...KWIM?
Then no, don't tell him.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 AM

Thanks Charles!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Just playing devil's advocate here. I agree with Charles that most times, you'd treat this as any other resignation. Just give two weeks notice etc.

However, in your case, what are some potential issues of not doing it? You mentioned burning bridges - is that a risk? And this is something only you can answer since you have knowledge of your manager's personality.

One option would be to give more than two weeks notice. Especially if you are responsible for any tasks that could use the extra time to transfer. And you never know - he may have contacts in Boston that he may be willing to reach out to.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
There's nothing wrong with planting a little seed, but actually submitting your resignation when you have the whole move arranged. If you ever have informal conversation and the boss inquires about your baby or family life, you can always comment "Frank, this baby thing is hard! I am so grateful I can work part time, but its still a hugh adjustment for me & DH to leave the baby with a paid provider...just really pulls at our hearts." You don't need to share your plans to move, but at least he won't be totally off guard when you do resign. And then you can tell him...."Frank, as you know leaving the baby in daycare has been a struggle for us and our family really wants to keep him while I work..., etc."

Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
In my (short) experience, it doesn't help to tell your boss about your interest in relocating. To them, all they hear is that "you will need to replace me once I am gone". My belief is that bosses don't like to go through all the work of replacing subordinates. I know that a lot of them will tell you they're open to your wants and needs, but I think that's mostly fluff. If your company is large enough and they have a detailed transfer policy in place, then exploit it. If your boss seems super cool and helpful, perhaps you can casually bring up your interest in relocating. If none of these are true, I would leave your boss out of it completely.

What I would do is what I'm doing now. Don't tell them anything and look for jobs on your own.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
I don't want to burn any bridges because I love my company and my management, it's just best that we move back closer to my family.
You should give a minimum of two weeks. However, if you have a definite moving date (i.e., there’s no turning back) there’s no harm in giving them as much notice as possible. They may want you to help train a new person, and two weeks in not enough time to search, hire and train someone.

What you don’t want to do is drop comments about a hypothetical move that may take a year or not happen at all.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 AM

98 posts, read 239,159 times
Quote:

Just wondering if you have really thought/researched about this. Is their style of parenting similar to yours? How would you feel about telling them how you want things done? Are they up to date on how things are done (e.g. sleeping on tummy vs back)? Would it cost a rift if you correct them? What is your backup plan if you end up putting your child in daycare?

I suggest you visit parenting/family message boards. You'll see examples of family babysitting (not even for free) not ending up well. FYI, I'm not saying don't do it. Just try to be well informed on this type of setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment