Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 13,811 times

Advertisements

I could use some advice. I have been working in the field for almost two years, current position for almost one year. I think my boss is hoping I will leave. I did get off to a rocky start due to stress and perfectionism, but I am dedicated and I learn from my mistakes.

Problem is, you get good judgment by having experiences. You can't be perfect when you're still learning how things work. I do not always know the right thing to do - but sometimes boss isn't there and the supervisor has made it clear she does not want to supervise - so there are times where I can't check in to find out how they want something done. And times like the situation I describe below, where I warn boss of a potential issue and she says okay, but later brings it up like I needed to handle it differently.

Anyway, my boss brought up a situation from earlier this week and implied it was not handled properly - but I was not responsible for the clients when this occurred. I convinced them to be somewhere else when they were my responsibility, and when other staff told me they weren't where we needed them to be, I encouraged them to move. So I pointed out to boss that other staff members also talked to clients and asked in the future how to deal with it. Boss dodged my question. I feel like she is trying to set me up or something. I warned her about the issue that day, and then she brought it up as a problem later.

I'm just not sure what to do. I am watching for other work but in the meantime I would like to shift her sense of my performance so she isn't just watching for mistakes while others on the staff get away with a great deal.

Ideas?

Possible useful info... very small staff (less than 13 people), going through a merger so all are a little off balance, I did not have trouble getting on with my boss in other jobs. I have asked if I need to do anything to improve my work before and boss says no, but then if something happens all of a sudden there's several things that need to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
If you're not doing this already you need to document all of this at home by date/time and be detailed.

Just some of the examples you brought up with the supervisor who doesn't want to supervise forcing you to make the decision. You keep a word document at home that you update while the information is fresh in your head.

This way you have it all written down if you need to prove facts later.

If you're going through a merger, is your company buying the other company or are you being bought?

Depending on who is being bought up there could be layoffs.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you're not doing this already you need to document all of this at home by date/time and be detailed.
Thank you for the advice. I did this with some incidents but need to be more consistent.

Our CEO is selling the direct service part of our company to a local hospital. Details are fuzzy. He did mention there will be job applications to complete but you know mergers are as transparent as concrete.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by better-and-better View Post
Thank you for the advice. I did this with some incidents but need to be more consistent.

Our CEO is selling the direct service part of our company to a local hospital. Details are fuzzy. He did mention there will be job applications to complete but you know mergers are as transparent as concrete.
You're welcome. Yes, keep a file at home that you update with dates and factual information while it is fresh in your head.

I had to do it at a job and I'm glad I did. Also print out any emails and take them home and keep in a folder that connect with issues you're running into.

In regards to the merger, keep your ear to the ground. I don't like the sound of job applications. It sounds like they're making people reapply for what might be a handful of jobs.

It's good that you're looking.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
I have asked if I need to do anything to improve my work before and boss says no, but then if something happens all of a sudden there's several things that need to change.
Is it possible that you're overly sensitive to being poorly managed? Maybe they are happy with your work. Maybe they are very disorganized but don't truly hold it against you and simply want you to change things when they ask them to be changed.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
If you haven't already, begin your job search immediately. With luck you may find something before you are let go. Of course, your boss may leave, easing the situation.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Is it possible that you're overly sensitive to being poorly managed? Maybe they are happy with your work. Maybe they are very disorganized but don't truly hold it against you and simply want you to change things when they ask them to be changed.
It is definitely possible that I am overly sensitive to poor management. I have little experience with full-time work and feel like I don't really know how to handle a poor manager effectively. (How is one supposed to do that?)

She is moody and plays favorites, and trusts the reports of the unofficial supervisor over the reports from direct staff. The immediate supervisor decided she did not like me when I first got here so I do not trust that she reports the things I do well.

It is difficult to keep up with expectations that change from day to day. A few weeks ago boss yelled at me for calling into her office so I stopped calling in there for any reason. I went to the office today for something necessary (very brief request) and she said it is okay to call into the office.

When our newest hire became full-time, she asked boss how the expectations would be different moving from part time to full. Boss told her to ask her peers. Um.

So yes I am at a loss for how to deal effectively with such a manager - as well as how to get my good works noticed.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
So yes I am at a loss for how to deal effectively with such a manager - as well as how to get my good works noticed.
Under such poor management, I doubt your good works will be properly rewarded. I'd look for another job. But don't look thinking you are being pushed out. It doesn't sound like they want you out. It just sounds like they are incompetent. So keep doing your job and take your time in searching for a new position elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Under such poor management, I doubt your good works will be properly rewarded. I'd look for another job. But don't look thinking you are being pushed out. It doesn't sound like they want you out. It just sounds like they are incompetent. So keep doing your job and take your time in searching for a new position elsewhere.
Thank you, Hopes.

I'm nervous and feeling rushed because our CEO is selling the company to a hospital and he mentioned we would be completing job applications.

I wish I knew a clever way to determine whether they do want me out. Last week I had to meet with two colleagues over very small things that we could have handled ourselves. One of them did not even report the issue but boss found out somehow. The other one discussed it with the immediate supervisor (who doesn't like me) and was told to bring it up with the boss. Boss asked me if I need to take a leave of absence earlier this week (I got emotional, due to wanting to do so well and because I am upset that her impression seems to be so bad). I don't need to take leave - the only issue giving me grief is how my coworkers are seeing me at work when I am not used to having someone looking for little things to snitch about.

I haven't had problems like this before - I've worked in this field before I got this position, just not full-time as much. I have never had this much trouble making a good impression at work. A previous employer was very sad to see me go, but couldn't afford to keep me. I'm worried. Also saw a want ad from our office for someone who can do what I do, but there are other possible explanations (boss mentioned needing such a person a few months back before these things happened). I'm debating whether to bring it up with the boss.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM

You're worrying too much about what others think of you. You can't get emotional at work.

Don't worry yourself about figuring out if they want to keep you or not. You shouldn't want to stay.

Look for a new job. Just focus your mind on that, not the idiots around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment