Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,874,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
More background info if anyone cares: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-not-easy.html
I hate to say it, but when you are in that type of situation it is best not to burn bridges and just move on. The odds that they will treat you better or pay you more is probably not very good. And your assessment of whether you are not easily replaceable might be true, but your management probably doesn't think that and treats you accordingly.

You aren't an entry level employee anymore and you should have more opportunities than straight out of school, except for the job market is terrible. I'd try not to take things personally, try to learn as much as possible, try to make as many contacts you can, and keep on looking for other opportunities (even lateral positions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,794,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Entry level? We've been interviewing people with a masters for more advanced programming and what not for around 60 to start. This is in CA.

We had 450 applications for a phone monkey position in IT that was in the 40s. The IT field is way overloaded with job seekers.
Gah, that's really sad. The job I was referencing was in NC about five years ago.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,643,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
I hate to say it, but when you are in that type of situation it is best not to burn bridges and just move on. The odds that they will treat you better or pay you more is probably not very good. And your assessment of whether you are not easily replaceable might be true, but your management probably doesn't think that and treats you accordingly.

You aren't an entry level employee anymore and you should have more opportunities than straight out of school, except for the job market is terrible. I'd try not to take things personally, try to learn as much as possible, try to make as many contacts you can, and keep on looking for other opportunities (even lateral positions).
Quite frankly-- you may be underpaid, but from your posts on the other thread it does not seem like you are capable of performing in your current role-- at least from not the viewpoint of the company/management.

So the question 40k is it worth it or not? From your perspective you feel worked to an unbearable point-- from your manager's viewpoint they may feel you are not doing the basic minimum level for your job. So at that point you feel the 40k is not enough, your employer probably feels it is TOO much.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:52 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,508,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Quite frankly-- you may be underpaid, but from your posts on the other thread it does not seem like you are capable of performing in your current role-- at least from not the viewpoint of the company/management.

So the question 40k is it worth it or not? From your perspective you feel worked to an unbearable point-- from your manager's viewpoint they may feel you are not doing the basic minimum level for your job. So at that point you feel the 40k is not enough, your employer probably feels it is TOO much.
Seems meaningless.

So essentially, management can pay whatever they want and demand whatever they want..

i.e.

Pay minimum wage then expect twice as much as what I'm currently expected.. then say minimum wage is "too much".

Old 07-27-2011, 09:10 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,874,466 times
Quote:
Pay minimum wage then expect twice as much as what I'm currently expected.. then say minimum wage is "too much".
$40K isn't minimum wage and if you've been on these threads a while, you see a ton of people making less than that.

I've seen situations similar as yours. It usually happens when a mid-tier or mediocre firm hires someone that used to work at a top notch firm (either for lots of money, better hours, they were in the "out" in the up or out pyramid, or they got peter principled).

Then that person is used to high caliber everything (systems, secretaries, para-professionals, and staffers) and thinks that it should be that way there. But they don't realize less prestigious place doesn't have the same resources to attract these types of people and don't provide them the same tools to perform at a high level. They think everyone is an idiot or lazy, but they cannot get away with bullying more established people or certain protected classes. So the younger folks take the brunt of the bullying and either don't know any better to fight back or determine that they don't have sufficient capital or goodwill to challenge the manager.

The end result is that job ends up being high turnover because as soon as something better comes along, the younger folks bolt. Those types of managers never change.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:55 PM

639 posts, read 1,074,591 times
You're obviously being screwed. Solution is clear, go out and find another job that pays more. If you can't get a job like that, well then you're not being underpaid.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
You're obviously being screwed. Solution is clear, go out and find another job that pays more. If you can't get a job like that, well then you're not being underpaid.
I personally *refuse* to bow down and accept that I cannot get a job that pays better than X, X being 40K/yr, 100K/yr, 200K/yr, or whatever although it may require additional work in the short term (networking, learning more skills, etc.) Maybe only after exhausting all possible options one may accept that notion.

Anyways, I'm posting this because I'm curious if my experience is typical given my background (especially compared to others with similar background who have graduated during the recession.)

Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 PM

242 posts, read 236,152 times
Quote:
I personally *refuse* to bow down and accept that I cannot get a job that pays better than X, X being 40K/yr, 100K/yr, 200K/yr, or whatever although it may require additional work in the short term (networking, learning more skills, etc.) Maybe only after exhausting all possible options one may accept that notion.

Anyways, I'm posting this because I'm curious if my experience is typical given my background (especially compared to others with similar background who have graduated during the recession.)

Well it is quite obvious that the OP is a H-1B visa worker.
These H-1B workers working in the IT industry are badly exploited and paid way below what a decent salary should be.
No doubt you are being badly exploited because of your visa situation.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince40000 View Post
Well it is quite obvious that the OP is a H-1B visa worker.
These H-1B workers working in the IT industry are badly exploited and paid way below what a decent salary should be.
No doubt you are being badly exploited because of your visa situation.
No, I'm an American citizen.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,659,090 times
Where was this thread a few months back? I was arguing with a couple of know it all's about how someone shouldn't take a job that isn't paying enough and just keep looking, its the economy stupid! you take what you can get until things get better if it keeps you feed and housed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment