Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 AM

166 posts, read 444,132 times

Advertisements

I recently updated my profile and stepped up my activity (adding more connections, joining groups). I have heard from others that, if used properly, LinkedIn can be a great resource for finding leads. So many options on there require payment tho...trying to avoid that.

Any success stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,904,584 times
My current company's recruiter made a connection with me through LinkedIn. I never paid to use the site. I kept an up to date profile that is searchable on the right terminology recruiters are looking for.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,919,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
I recently updated my profile and stepped up my activity (adding more connections, joining groups). I have heard from others that, if used properly, LinkedIn can be a great resource for finding leads. So many options on there require payment tho...trying to avoid that.

Any success stories?
That depends on what you call success. LinkedIn is a networking tool and nothing more. LinkedIn is merely a digital way to manage you real life connections. It does not replace real life networking. Connecting with 500+ people you've never met isn't going to get you a job any more than shaking hands with 500+ people at a party is going to get you a job. You need to do more than just shake people's hands. Have a conversation, share information, follow up at future events. That'snetworking. LinkedIn does successfully help with that, but it's not going to hand you a job on a silver platter. You aren't going to get job offers landing in your inbox just because someone is connected to you.

The paid features aren't really going to get you anything either. Notice that the paid plans are specifically labelled Business Plans. That's because they are aimed at businesses, not individuals.

Last edited by kodaka; 07-31-2011 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,931,239 times
I just received a message about an opening fitting my background. No further information yet.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM

531 posts, read 1,178,227 times
You don't have to pay to use Linkedin. Linked is good for networking

For example, an ex coworker of mine email me about a job in Company B she is interest in. Since I know someone who currently works in Company B, I help her forward her resume over and she landed an Interview with Company B.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 PM

166 posts, read 444,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
That depends on what you call success. LinkedIn is a networking tool and nothing more. LinkedIn is merely a digital way to manage you real life connections. It does not replace real life networking. Connecting with 500+ people you've never met isn't going to get you a job any more than shaking hands with 500+ people at a party is going to get you a job. You need to do more than just shake people's hands. Have a conversation, share information, follow up at future events. That'snetworking. LinkedIn does successfully help with that, but it's not going to hand you a job on a silver platter. You aren't going to get job offers landing in your inbox just because someone is connected to you.

The paid features aren't really going to get you anything either. Notice that the paid plans are specifically labelled Business Plans. That's because they are aimed at businesses, not individuals.
Thanks for your input. Was definitely not expecting a job offer to land in my inbox. 90% of my connections at the moment are overseas (went to grad school in Europe and worked overseas for some time after). So, face to face networking with these people is impossible. Success to me would be a lead, an opportunity to pass my CV along. I recently mentioned to a friend that I was job searching and he said "You've got to get on LinkedIn. I know people who have found jobs from it." So, I was merely curious as to how exactly.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,919,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
Thanks for your input. Was definitely not expecting a job offer to land in my inbox. 90% of my connections at the moment are overseas (went to grad school in Europe and worked overseas for some time after). So, face to face networking with these people is impossible. Success to me would be a lead, an opportunity to pass my CV along. I recently mentioned to a friend that I was job searching and he said "You've got to get on LinkedIn. I know people who have found jobs from it." So, I was merely curious as to how exactly.
If you ask this friend, I bet you will find out that LinkedIn really played a very little part.

Maybe they used LinkedIn to find a proper name of the HR director or someone else to address the cover letter instead of 'to whom it may concern.' I've done this many times myself. But it doesn't mean that LinkedIn got me the job, or anyone else. Again, it was just a tool. Or maybe they used LinkedIn to stay in touch with someone they already knew from past jobs or school or other networking efforts, and then tapped that resource when they were looking for a job. Again, it was their ongoing efforts to stay connected to those people that got them the job. LinkedIn was merely the vehicle.

Any job that is offered for no other reason than just a LinkedIn connection is not a job worth having.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,484,115 times
I got an interview from linkedin! I think it has great potential if used correctly. Getting names, having someone to ask for when calling, someone to address an email to etc. I was looking for a job exactly 1 year ago and am looking a little here and there now and what I noticed over the span of this year is that there are A LOT more recruiters on there now - not recruiting companies, but corporate recruiters employed by companies.

This signals to me that companies are getting tons of resumes for every position and instead of sifting through those resumes, it might be easier to perform a little search on linkedin and get some candidates that way. Imagine being a recruiter sifting through 200 resumes of which only maybe 5 have anything to do with the job.

I've also been contacted by recruiters from recruiting companies based on my profile on linkedin. You never know. But would you want to exclude yourself from this network if you are looking for a job? Everything you can do to increase your chances, should be done, IMO.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,792,954 times
My company hires via LinkedIn... I also received an inquiry from the CEO of another company who thought my background fit his needs perfectly (unfortunately, it was out of state and I didn't want to move). I'd just make sure you have the right 'buzz words' in your resume so that you show up in searches.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,069,571 times
I have seen a CEO of a company on Linkedin ask if anyone knew someone who would be interested in a certain position at their company and to inbox her the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment