Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When you are unavailable as a temp no one can hold it against you?
That's right. If you get a call for a temp position and tell the agency you can't take it, they won't hold it against you. As I said, if you accept a position and then become unavailable without a good reason, it won't be looked at in a good light.

Also I've been placed at a couple of places that I called the temp agency after the first day and asked them to find me something else because I didn't want to go back. One place had rats running across the floors, and at another the manager made highly inappropriate sexually related comments to me within an hour after I got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
But i thought as a temp you

1. have to accept a lower salary
2. No benefits
3. Your assignment can end at anytime
You thought wrong. The last temp job I worked at I made the average wage for that type of work in this area, the agency offered a weeks paid vacation and three sick days a year, plus had group health you could purchase.

Most temp assignments have a specific end date, although some are "long term temp" with no specified end date. With the latter you generally find out 2-4 weeks before the assignment ends that it's going to. Very, very seldom will you just be told at the end of the day that they are done with you.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You thought wrong. The last temp job I worked at I made the average wage for that type of work in this area, the agency offered a weeks paid vacation and three sick days a year, plus had group health you could purchase.

Most temp assignments have a specific end date, although some are "long term temp" with no specified end date. With the latter you generally find out 2-4 weeks before the assignment ends that it's going to. Very, very seldom will you just be told at the end of the day that they are done with you.

The agency my job dealt with would call the temp at the end of the day telling them that they were no longer needed.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The agency my job dealt with would call the temp at the end of the day telling them that they were no longer needed.
Sounds like a badly run temp agency. Or was it that your employer would wait until the last minute to tell the temp agency--which based on other things you've mentioned about your employer, they don't seem to be the most ethical organization out there, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Sounds like a badly run temp agency. Or was it that your employer would wait until the last minute to tell the temp agency--which based on other things you've mentioned about your employer, they don't seem to be the most ethical organization out there, so that wouldn't surprise me.
I guess if someone was not meeting expectations, my employer preferred to call the agency so they could contact them at home.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 PM

30,331 posts, read 23,808,618 times
Temp means temporary, which means, not a long time.

If you hire anyone for a job that lasts under a year, I would consider them a temp.

If that person is still working there 2 or more years later, sorry, NO, you are abusing the term just so you don't have to pay benefits. That is wrong.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I guess if someone was not meeting expectations, my employer preferred to call the agency so they could contact them at home.
Well that's a different story. Of course if the temp isn't working out you wouldn't have them back. That said, I think some companies are unrealistic about what they expect from a temp, especially if they aren't paying all that well.

I always found that telecommunications companies, engineering firms, and insurance companies were the best in terms of how they paid and treated temps. I had mixed experiences with banks and factory/industrial type environments.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,757,663 times
I have many temp jobs on my resume. I hate that I have to look for another job after the contract ends. I never had 1 good paying job that lasted 5 to 15 years. So a temp contract life sucks.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:07 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,365,857 times
Years ago, I was given a temp assignment at a well-known pet food company (name began with an "A"). I was one of many temps who had been there six months or more. We were eventually asked if we wanted to be hired by the company, but as an "A*** Temp". Many of those "A*** Temps" had been there two years or more. They were temps, so had no benefits, of course. I didn't bite - I wanted some commitment to time frame for being hired for a permanent position, with benefits, so they ended the assignment.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 AM

31 posts, read 105,309 times
Quote:
Well that's a different story. Of course if the temp isn't working out you wouldn't have them back. That said, I think some companies are unrealistic about what they expect from a temp, especially if they aren't paying all that well.

I always found that telecommunications companies, engineering firms, and insurance companies were the best in terms of how they paid and treated temps. I had mixed experiences with banks and factory/industrial type environments.
I currently work as a temp to hire for a telecommunication company in San Francisco, and everyone treat me like a full-time staff of the company, and my supervisor treats me extremely well too.

On top of that, I get paid well above the medium wage in my field. (despite that I only have 2 years of working experience but extremely strong in technical skills) Oh, and the company often purchase us lunch from outside as well as having two kitchens with lots of free foods....

But the best part of working for my current telecommunication company is the working environment and the type of work that I am doing; it is very challenging but at the same time it is very rewarding. (Company will do the best to provide me with any tools we need to get the job done efficiently, even I am not a "employee" of the company.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment