Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 AM

829 posts, read 2,958,597 times

Advertisements

I have a Communications degree and a minor in history. My true interests lie in Geography and History. I graduated from college back in 04...wanting to really get out of college and find a job. I started my own property maintenance and home improvement business with my dad in which we still have and i also work security at a hotel. I am thinking about going and finishing my full degree in history and getting a geography degree as well...but also my thoughts are...then what...? you know? i get the degrees, but am not really sure what job to pursue, and also even if there will be any jobs to pursue, you know? I would like to hear some thoughts...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,731,936 times
It sounds like you want to go back to school because of an affinity for the subject matter rather than as a path to a particular career. That being the case, why not keep your current work and begin taking a class at a time, maybe even online, until you know if you want to pursue it more fully? Taking a couple of courses may scratch your intellectual itch without having to commit to a more formal program.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,480,948 times
I understand where you coming from. I also live on the Eastern Shore and there aren't really that many opportunities there. I have a business degree and was let go from work because of where I lived (I was working in DC). Anyway, what history era do you love? My son loves medieval history and we're trying to figure out what business he could get into with his passion. Now with geography and where we live, you might be able to find a job with that degree on the Shores.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 PM

829 posts, read 2,958,597 times
Thanks everyone for there responses! I really like all kinds of american history, from seeing how america was built to the wild west to the north vs south war...I also like a lot of european history, from ww2 to the celts...i also am fascinated with barbarians, including particularly the vikings.

I originally wanted to do meteorology and realized I may not be talented enough in math, however I have realized I like all kinds of geography.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 PM

935 posts, read 2,413,245 times
A fellow Commie major!!! I majored in Communication as well and I'm getting a Masters as well. It does sound as though you are more interested in learning about history instead of going for a particular job, such as a historian or professor. If that is the case, then Maf763 has a great idea. I know I'm taking my courses part-time and I'm working part-time as well. So, take some courses while you work and see what happens.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:16 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,032,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It sounds like you want to go back to school because of an affinity for the subject matter rather than as a path to a particular career. That being the case, why not keep your current work and begin taking a class at a time, maybe even online, until you know if you want to pursue it more fully? Taking a couple of courses may scratch your intellectual itch without having to commit to a more formal program.
I agree. Unless you have a trust fund or guaranteed income stream/job after graduating.

Those subjects are interesting, but look for some kind of career application before you go into debt for another degree.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,771,101 times
It seems like the obvious choice would be to go into teaching. Either parlay your BA into a teaching certificat and teach k-12 or go for a master's or even PHd. Plenty of adjunct professorships for people with a masters degree out there, although the pay is pretty dismal.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:08 AM

158 posts, read 270,661 times
Hi,

[SIZE=3]You want to apply what you already have and maybe learn a decent technology along the way? Why not join the service? I would suggest the Air force and you can become an officer because of the degree. Once in you can do a masters on the country you are in with some college on line if that is your passion. Right now I am in Afghanistan and this country is just so beautiful and the people are kind. If I had your passion for geography this is the place I would want to be to write my paper. It is so wild and untamed. Unfortunately, you have a band of idiots that what to destroy this area called the talaban. Really though see where I am going with this? If you want to communicate you can volunteer and broadcast on the service station network announcing the local news. That will give you experience when and if you want to get out. You get service benefits for additional schooling and you get to see the world. Travel while you are young and free. A lot of service people are getting their degrees this way.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Just my thoughts.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Regards,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]al[/SIZE]

Old 11-25-2010, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,070,909 times
Have you ever thought of becoming a demographer? It might be right up your alley and it pays well.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:28 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,447,125 times
Why not audit courses of interest? When you pay for a course, you're paying for the credit, and if you are learning for the sheer interest in learning, consider auditing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment