Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM

4,249 posts, read 4,770,194 times

Advertisements

I've been feeling kinda stuck in my current role as a clinical research coordinator and have been noticing many marketing positions available in the new city I just moved to.

I've been in clinical research for 6 years but have 4 years in marketing research prior to that. I've been wanting to go back into marketing for a couple of years now.

I want to switch back to marketing, get a Masters and become a brand manager and potentially Marketing VP. If not brand management, healthcare marketing. I mainly want to switch back to this industry because I feel I'll have more opportunity to grow, learn and increase my earnings over time.

I actually have an opportunity to interview with my current company for a marketing position. But after doing some investigation through HR, found out the salary may be lower than what I make now.

Unfortunately they would only tell me the starting pay. I make roughly 60k now and starting pay is roughly 50k. Since I don't know the max salary, I don't have the best idea of the salary range for this position. Could go up to only 55, or maybe 60 or 65.

Ideally, I would ask to be bumped to 62 (just enough to show an increase), but I'd be willing to take this marketing job for the same pay, or even less pay. At first I thought that I could take maybe as much as a 15% decrease, but it's bothering me because it makes me feel like that would be a step backwards.

The title of the position is "Marketing Associate"...so I was thinking I could either try to get the max salary for that position (which hopefully it's at least 60-62k) -or- I could try to argue for a "Senior Marketing Associate" position, which would get me the higher pay (it's not a position that's posted so this would be a pretty special 'request'). Only thing with that is I also don't want to appear money hungry or ask for something I'm not qualified for.

Let's just say I interviewed for and got the "Marketing Associate" job but the pay was 50k...would it be wise to take it for the opportunity for future growth in the marketing industry?

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 02-01-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,799,212 times
My opinion about taking pay cuts is that they are worth if any of the following applies:

1). to leave a job you don't like for work you love to do

2) to drastically shorten your commute time

3) to noticeably add personal time to your daily life (ie less work hours)

4) lower salary in favor of equity that has a "reasonably good" chance of increasing in value

Otherwise, I can't really think of why one would want to take a pay cut.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,186,347 times
Taking the cue that you say you are INFP, and that you like marketing, it might be worth it to take the pay cut.

If you want to push for the Senior position, realize that it pays more because the job demands more. It might make more sense to take the more junior position, and over-perform if you can, then with a track record ask for a promotion. This would also have the advantage of getting a promotion on your record.

I would suggest you make sure your current boss hears about this first from you, not at the watercooler. Take care of your "old" job, make sure you don't leave any loose ends. Take pains to be remembered as someone they would be glad to take back.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Taking the cue that you say you are INFP, and that you like marketing, it might be worth it to take the pay cut.

If you want to push for the Senior position, realize that it pays more because the job demands more. It might make more sense to take the more junior position, and over-perform if you can, then with a track record ask for a promotion. This would also have the advantage of getting a promotion on your record.

I would suggest you make sure your current boss hears about this first from you, not at the watercooler. Take care of your "old" job, make sure you don't leave any loose ends. Take pains to be remembered as someone they would be glad to take back.
In regards to the bolded, I would be sure to do it that way, if I got the job. I haven't even interviewed yet, so the situation is still very much "hypothetical".

I'm just having a tough time with the opportunity cost involved...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Just to give a little more clarification, I'm basically looking at the following possibilities:

-Take job at 50K. Pros: Get to go back into marketing field now. More opportunity for growth/advancement/higher pay sooner. Cons: Lose 10k in salary immediately. Lose 7k in employer-provided tuition benefits. Would potentially take longer for me to complete a Masters.

-Take job but negotiate salary to be my current salary (60K-62K). Pros: Same as above, with added pro of: don't have to take a pay cut at all. Cons: Lose 7k in employer-provided tuition benefits.

-Keep my current job: Pros: Don't have to take a pay cut. Keep the 7k in tuition benefits I'd be losing if I changed jobs. Cons: Already feeling burnout, so motivation to keep job may decline rapidly. Delay experience of working in marketing for another 2-3 years at least, while I stay in the position and get my Masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment