Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:07 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times

Advertisements

Hey,

There's a thread going about "living on minimum wage jobs - how do people do it" - https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...do-people.html

and i got to thinking about some very cheap places I've lived. One was $200 and was in back of a hair salon, one was $350 and was quite bad, one was a $335 studio and I probably enjoyed that apartment more than anywhere!

So my question for the thread is -

Have you lived in an apartment that rented for under $500? Where was it, what was it like, and how did you make it feel like home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
In my area, people rent 15' travel trailers parked in their backyard for $700+.

So no, I've never lived in a place for under $500, but I have lived in houses with multiple roommates for under $500 a month...and it was miserable and I will never do it again.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
When I lived in Key West I rented a trailer on a lagoon for $350/mo. The place itself was pretty gross, but the location was nice. I had an outdoor living area and spent most of my time outside. I've also rented with roommates for $200-350/mo in MA. I manged to live on $11-15k/yr in my first few years of college.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
When I lived in Key West I rented a trailer on a lagoon for $350/mo. The place itself was pretty gross, but the location was nice. I had an outdoor living area and spent most of my time outside. I've also rented with roommates for $200-350/mo in MA. I manged to live on $11-15k/yr in my first few years of college.
How long ago was that?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:50 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
How long ago was that?
Early 2000's. To be clear, I did not have a computer, cell phone, TV, etc. Not that cell phones were all that popular back then. I had a beater car that I bought for $1200. My insurance was around 1k. I'm a veg and kept my meals simple. I can also sew, which I did, as well as shopped at good will. It was pretty good actually. I had good people around me.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM

191 posts, read 693,122 times
I've been living in a studio apt in SC for about 3 months now, rent is just under $450. It's old, appliances are pretty bad, carpet is nasty, wallpaper is coming off the walls, but it's very livable. I don't plan on being here much longer so I haven't done anything to make it feel like home. I plan to move north and I am expecting to pay at least twice what I am now for rent!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Post Good memory...

Aloha,
I rented my Grandmothers mobile home for around $200 a month after she was sentenced to a retirement home when I was 17 y/o. Mom made me pay rent to learn financial responsibilty. I was 'handed' nothin'! It was in a small trailer park on the beach in Oceanside, CA. Had to use the public shower building. Made it feel like home by bringing in a cat and so many plants that you had to duck to get around them. It was very small and quaint. Lived there more than a year before leaving the Golden State, and my hometown, for the PNW. I visit it once in awhile on 'Google Maps'. Trailer is gone but the park is still there. Gramps rose bushes are still living and blooming, can't believe it! Thanks for the memories. Oh yeah...definately on minimum wage working at probably one of the very first self-serve gas stations in the country. Uh...minimum wage was what, about $3.75 per hour, lolol...nowhere near what it is even now...I had absolutely no complaints! Full tank of gas, plenty of groceries and more than enough spending cash. I could afford to spend a full day at Disneyland w/my girfriend or drive to Tijuana or Encinada for the weekends. We didn't seem to need so much 'stuff' then. No cell phone contracts, cable tv etc. Life was much simpler then.
Koale

Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
I think it depends on where you live. I have a friend who lived in a two story townhouse for, and I'm not kidding, $450 per month. It was such a beautiful townhouse too! However, he lived in Kentucky and I do not think he lived on minimum wage since he was a teaching assistant at a college. Now, he works as a teaching assistant at another college in another state and he and his girlfriend live in a two-bedroom apartment for $850 a month.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
I shared with roommates in college and we paid around $260 each. Shared rooms though. Apartment was really nice but it definitely was cramped. 2 moved out and with 2 of us living there is was very pleasant, and that meant we paid just over $500 each and with 2 living in a 2 bedroom I really wouldn't complain.
I worked part time at a supermarket, didn't have a car, we lived in the middle of the city so I could walk everywhere and I got cheaper food through the supermarket lunchroom + discounts so I saved money that way. I didn't buy very many books and lived more or less at the library. We kept the heat low during the day and had one small TV my roommate brought. No cell phones, no cable, no internet (this was a while ago).
I didn't travel much and kept my clothing at a minimum - shopped at sales, mostly jeans and t-shirts.

That said, I had a ball, still managed to party through college (happy hours, wine socials in the department) and never felt deprived. In some ways life is easier when your choices are limited.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Hey,

There's a thread going about "living on minimum wage jobs - how do people do it" - https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...do-people.html

and i got to thinking about some very cheap places I've lived. One was $200 and was in back of a hair salon, one was $350 and was quite bad, one was a $335 studio and I probably enjoyed that apartment more than anywhere!

So my question for the thread is -

Have you lived in an apartment that rented for under $500? Where was it, what was it like, and how did you make it feel like home?
Not an apartment but my current MH, my mortgage is 349 a month and I've lived here for 10 years on the 10 acres it sits on that I own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment