Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,420,258 times

Advertisements

Twelve years ago, right after NAFTA, came into effect, people were laid off of good manufacturing jobs, making $19 an hour, with benefits. They got unemployment, and were encouraged to go to school. One girl did, she got an LPN degree, with her WIA money. She is now making $12 an hour with benefits. At her other job, she got time and a half, now she gets none. She is one of the lucky ones...most are just working at Wal-Mart now, making about $7 an hour, they quailify for Medicaid programs for their children to get health care. We subsidize Wal-Mart...

Will there be riots? I don't see that happening now...but wait another 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,262,661 times
""Do you think the unemployment situation might turn into civil unrest?""

If it does the government will shoot you down in the streets...

Old 08-27-2011, 02:34 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,642,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
""Do you think the unemployment situation might turn into civil unrest?""

If it does the government will shoot you down in the streets...
That may be so, but there will be some government shot down in the streets as well. You can bet on that.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,002,322 times
Anyone who thinks this is impossible have forgotten Tomothy McVeigh. How many of the 168 victims came back to life by his sentence?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

32 posts, read 72,743 times
Wow - this whole thread has been such an insight to me. I am glad that people are finally becomming aroused at the economic situation in America. And a lot of what has been said is so very true.

I keep hoping that the younger folks (I'm 57, and yes, unemployed) will think of their mothers, fathers and grandparents who, after working for so many years, now have lost everything in this crisis. I am hoping that they will bring to the attention of the American people and the ******* that currently control our country the need to take care of the elders and ALL the people. I am hoping.

Also, while reading all this, about people becomming criminals, it struct me that while shopping at the grocery store today, when I came out one fo the clerks was explaining to someone why the police were there. It appears that a young man ran out of the store while stealing some meat and they couldn't catch him.

Well, I think a career criminal would not have taken that chance, although I may be wrong. But, when your family is starving, sometimes people feel no recourse but to just try to feed their family.

I think we are going to see a lot more, not less, of this. Sad, bad times.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,529,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That may be so, but there will be some government shot down in the streets as well. You can bet on that.
Of course. America is comprised of many immigrants and I can assure all those who say "Americans are too lazy and soft...." that the immigrants definitely are anything but lazy and soft, especially from European countries that were under dictatorships. Those people are accustomed to a hard life, do not fear prisons and many are gun owners. Some have experienced foreign prisons which are much more brutal than any American prison. Perhaps a certain kind of American is lazy and has been softened by entertainment and consumerism. Other kinds of Americans have not. Naturalized citizens and their spawn have retained the rebellious nature that helped to topple the Berlin Wall and free Romania (among others) from its dictator. Let's realize America is vast and made up of many immigrants, not just those from Mexico. I can say Eastern Europeans who live here are trigger happy and would have no problem rioting or doing whatever they must to feed their families and that includes taking from the rich by force.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM

14,435 posts, read 14,374,163 times
I worry seriously that Rick Perry or some other "Tea Potty" type candidate will be voted in as President because of the level of unhappiness in this country. If these nutcases really get what they say they want I think violence may be unavoidable.

1. They talk about draconian federal budget cuts. All those jobs created not only by the government, but created secondarily by the spending that those government employees does helps keep the high unemployment rate from getting worse.

2. They were willing to default on this country's debts. If that had happened, I guarantee you we'd be talking about more than just a wimpy 1/3 point downgrade from one rating agency, Standard & Poors. The net effect on interest rates and credit in this country would have been catastrophic.

3. Their approach to the poor is to say cut off Medicaid, cut off TANF, cut off food stamps, and cut off unemployment benefits. Some of these Tea Potty fools actually think the poor would "get buy" by not renting any more DVDs

Understand the situation we are in now is bad. Don't turn it into pure poison by supporting people who are hellbent on this country's destruction.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,760,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I worry seriously that Rick Perry or some other "Tea Potty" type candidate will be voted in as President because of the level of unhappiness in this country. If these nutcases really get what they say they want I think violence may be unavoidable.

1. They talk about draconian federal budget cuts. All those jobs created not only by the government, but created secondarily by the spending that those government employees does helps keep the high unemployment rate from getting worse.

2. They were willing to default on this country's debts. If that had happened, I guarantee you we'd be talking about more than just a wimpy 1/3 point downgrade from one rating agency, Standard & Poors. The net effect on interest rates and credit in this country would have been catastrophic.

3. Their approach to the poor is to say cut off Medicaid, cut off TANF, cut off food stamps, and cut off unemployment benefits. Some of these Tea Potty fools actually think the poor would "get buy" by not renting any more DVDs

Understand the situation we are in now is bad. Don't turn it into pure poison by supporting people who are hellbent on this country's destruction.
Isn't this what a Republican candidate would do?

I don't know much about Ron Paul, but should he be our next President?

Just NO next term on Obama. He didn't keep many of his campaign promises and did the opposite.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,756,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Right across from the office where I work, there's some new grafitti on a building that says "CLASS WAR NOW". To me, it says, "we're sick and tired of the rich getting richer while more and more people without jobs are entering a state of poverty." It's a call for immediate action, and it's disturbing.

It's interesting-- When I visited with my father recently, he told me "Don't be surprised if people get so fed up with the state of things in America that they revolt". He foresees a day in the not-to-distant future when gangs of thugs roam the streets, (even in the better neighborhoods,) breaking into homes and businesses at will and taking what they please. And there would be an insufficient number of law enforcement personnel to handle the mess. I SURE hope Dad's vision is wrong.

i hope it doesn't go like this. going after random homes and business to loot is not going to be that productive. it needs to be more organized than that and there needs to be better targets.

something will have to be done. we can't just bounce back from democrats to republicans every 4 or 8 years and expect anything different. i don't think that will happen without a fight.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Of course. America is comprised of many immigrants and I can assure all those who say "Americans are too lazy and soft...." that the immigrants definitely are anything but lazy and soft, especially from European countries that were under dictatorships. Those people are accustomed to a hard life, do not fear prisons and many are gun owners. Some have experienced foreign prisons which are much more brutal than any American prison. Perhaps a certain kind of American is lazy and has been softened by entertainment and consumerism. Other kinds of Americans have not. Naturalized citizens and their spawn have retained the rebellious nature that helped to topple the Berlin Wall and free Romania (among others) from its dictator. Let's realize America is vast and made up of many immigrants, not just those from Mexico. I can say Eastern Europeans who live here are trigger happy and would have no problem rioting or doing whatever they must to feed their families and that includes taking from the rich by force.
Most Americans are lazy & soft due to the reasons you say entertainment and consumerism.. Immigrants even more so because they know if they 'mess up' they are on a one way trip back to where they came from.. However, I see alot more hostility amongst people ex.. road rage, physical confrontations, rude behavior in stores & shops & just plain nastiness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment