Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 PM

20 posts, read 391,498 times

Advertisements

(by better I mean in terms of getting a promotion)

I always hear that working at McDonalds is the worst and worse than places like Target and Publix, but in reality when all things are equal you start off at the bottom with a near min wage in any of those types of companies. The difference seems that at a place like McDonalds you can get promoted after not that long, while at places like Publix and Target it is hard to get promoted because you have so few managers in comparison to the large number of employees they have.

Also while both types of places have high turnover, it seems that fast food has a even higher turnover (better for getting a promotion).

My friend has been working at Sam's Club for 6 years yet he is not even close to being manager, while I have known people to quickly become managers at McDonalds. Also it seems you can get full time work quicker at a fast food place than a place like Publix?

I know that being a manager at Mcdonalds is not that great, but you make more money than being a non-manager at Target, Publix, Walmart. Also it looks a lot better on your resume for experience if you were a manager at Mcdonalds for a few years instead of just being a cashier/bag boy for Publix the entire time.

Am I right about this? If given the choice to be a bag boy at Publix or crew member at McDonalds wouldn't a crew member at McDonalds be a better choice in terms of getting a fast promotion (and faster ability to get full time hours)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times

Never thought about that but I do have an x-roommate that made assistant manager at Wendys after only 2 months. 3 people quit and the new managers that guy hired never showed up or worked one day and left. So they were forced to promote within.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb9876 View Post
(by better I mean in terms of getting a promotion)

I always hear that working at McDonalds is the worst and worse than places like Target and Publix, but in reality when all things are equal you start off at the bottom with a near min wage in any of those types of companies. The difference seems that at a place like McDonalds you can get promoted after not that long, while at places like Publix and Target it is hard to get promoted because you have so few managers in comparison to the large number of employees they have.

Also while both types of places have high turnover, it seems that fast food has a even higher turnover (better for getting a promotion).

My friend has been working at Sam's Club for 6 years yet he is not even close to being manager, while I have known people to quickly become managers at McDonalds. Also it seems you can get full time work quicker at a fast food place than a place like Publix?

I know that being a manager at Mcdonalds is not that great, but you make more money than being a non-manager at Target, Publix, Walmart. Also it looks a lot better on your resume for experience if you were a manager at Mcdonalds for a few years instead of just being a cashier/bag boy for Publix the entire time.

Am I right about this? If given the choice to be a bag boy at Publix or crew member at McDonalds wouldn't a crew member at McDonalds be a better choice in terms of getting a fast promotion (and faster ability to get full time hours)?
If you are 17 years old.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
If you are 17 years old.
Or if you are one of the millions and millions in growing unemployed Americans which is only gonna get much worse.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb9876 View Post
Or if you are one of the millions and millions in growing unemployed Americans which is only gonna get much worse.
McDonald's or Target is not going to help me pay my bills

Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
McDonald's or Target is not going to help me pay my bills
It'll pay more bills than sitting at home posting comments on C-D.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
It'll pay more bills than sitting at home posting comments on C-D.
I doubt it if it's under $10.00 an hour

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
In my area, Burger King has full benefits and pays more than $10/hr. I would pick the fast food any day, since there's a way up and onward.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,621 times
I would take my chances at the fast food place, although it is much more fast paced not to mentioned you might be working with people who may not take the job serious... seems to me that they would promote faster. UPS is also a place that promotes P/T package handlers to P/T Supervisors if your a hard worker.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I doubt it if it's under $10.00 an hour
Well then it's time to start living a more simple life and get rid of any luxury cost....or move out of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment