Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,493,488 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working in FLA and was offered a job in LA. It is for the salary I asked for, the only thing is I would have to pay $46 for parking each month, which I was hoping I wouldn't. We were looking to move to LA by the end of the year b/c my gf will finish her classes here and the industry in which she will be working is 99% in LA (movies). She may or may not have a job already upon graduation, but we will be OK with my salary and her part-time job. She's tried to find a job in FLA in that field, but no luck.

My concerns:

In my current job, one of the guys in my group just gave notice last week; we are approaching year end so the work load will increase and my supervisor will be in a bad situation with me quitting also.

The new job is being very pushy with the start date. They want me to start on the 3rd, which wouldn't even allow for a two weeks notice. I said that I want to wait until the background check comes back to give notice. The HR lady was rather pushy asking me if I have something to worry about. I said no I didn't, but you never know (I don't). They are looking into pushing back the start date.

The job is in a different field than what I am used to now, but something I was thinking about. I'm in finance now and the job is a business analyst supporting their databases. I'm nervous I will be lost.

And of course, new state, new city, all alone for about 2 months until my gf comes to join me.

Reasons to take the job:

We will need to relocate to LA by January, so the opportunity exists now, why not take it.

The salary is good, the company is good and good benefits.

I just hate being so rushed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,438,679 times
Spash some cold water on your face, then look in the mirror and slap yourself back and forth until you can get your thoughts together. Then make your decision and quit wasting peoples time with this nonsense.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks 1208.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,438,679 times
Np. Hope that helps, if not I have some other solutions you might be interested in.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM

6,834 posts, read 9,112,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Spash some cold water on your face, then look in the mirror and slap yourself back and forth until you can get your thoughts together. Then make your decision and quit wasting peoples time with this nonsense.
OK, that might be a little harsh but I think it could help. As I was reading, I kept asking myself "How old is the OP?". I understand wanting to post here for advice but ultimately the OP has to decide.

If I were the OP I would take the new job in Los Angeles but I'd negotiate the start date. It's nice that he/she wants to give their job two weeks notice but sometimes that isn't possible. If your boss wanted to fire you I doubt he would give you 2 weeks notice.

I've recently been through the experience of a background check. Like you, I didn't want to start until I knew the background check was done, and was OK. I think it's smart to do that.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm 29 if it matters. I'm trying to negotiate the start date with them, but I don't understand why their HR lady is being so pushy and almost rude with me.

I know I have to ultimately make the decision, but advice doesn't hurt. Maybe someone has been in a simliar situation.

Should my current employer and supervisor even be of concern to me? My colleague says no and I understand about the them wanting to fire you, but aren't there also ethics and morals?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:06 PM

810 posts, read 1,767,003 times
Hopefully the hr lady will let you push back the start date. I would definately say to try it.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,221,294 times
I would def want to wait until background check clears. Not sure why she would be against this.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 PM

3,999 posts, read 5,040,033 times
It's scary to think about such a massive change without time constraints, let alone having to make decisions out of our comfort time frame. I was waiting for a background check to go through before my employer would make my hiring official. It was supposed to take a day and it ended up being a week. I have nothing to hide, but it scared the **** out of me. I hadn't been through that before, but you seriously start to get paranoid and the HR lady should realize that. She's not a cop and has no right to assume first that your hesitation is anything but new job nerves.

Should you offer a courtesy to your current employer? You don't want to burn that bridge until you have absolutely have the other job in the bag. Ethics and morals ARE important and that's why you will tell them when you can. To do so earlier could really create more problems.

I think if when you tell your current employer that you'll be leaving (only after securing the new one) and you're met with contempt, you could try to explain the timing, but truth is, you don't owe them anything (maybe a little respect) but you've really got to do the best thing for your life. Unfortunately, and you probably know this, but likely, your employer would not offer you the same.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,791,284 times
If you need a job in January and you've been offered one in the middle of October, I can't imagine why you wouldn't take it.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your employer but would do my best to give 2 weeks notice. The job you need in LA might not be there in two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment