Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,581,442 times

Advertisements

OK, OK, I get it. I'm doing something illegal. Gotcha. But, going back to my initial question and not taking into account my illegal activities, should I politely request that my name stop being used in email correspondence and that my account be deactivated?

When I get nabbed for all my illegal activities, I promise I will start another thread asking for legal advice and to acknowledge that I should have listened to you all from the beginning. But in the mean time, back to my OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
LOL, I seriously doubt anyone else has my name. It is a little unusual. My position at the company was unique. I kinda did everything. I did invoicing, marketing, correspondence, typing reports, etc. etc. I also was office manager dealing with employees, computers, equipment, and benefits. I was amazed he didn't hire anyone to take my place. However, before I left, the company was going downhill and lost probably 60% of its business. I do talk to current employees still and he has some of the more computer literate ones doing the typing for various submittals. I guess these guys with master's in engineering never thought they would become secretaries.
I don't understand why you didn't inform these clients that you were leaving the job. Anytime I have left a job I have always informed the people I dealt with that on this date I would be leaving the company.

Most of these people I only knew from emails/phone calls but I wanted them to know I would be leaving and whom they could contact in my place.

In your case that would have been the owner.

So even if he continued to use your email your "regulars" would know it wasn't you, and if he started getting questions back like "didn't you leave?", he might stop doing it or informed people who they're actually dealing with.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,744,941 times
Tell the old boss you were contacted personally by former clients and others becasue emails to you at that email address weren;t being properly answered. Explain that you don;t want to cause problems but people are under the impression that you still work there and are ignoring them and some claim they actually got emails from someone pretending to be you. Explain it would be a hit to their reputation if you had to inform them that someone is impresnating you. That wouldn;lt make the company look good. Suggest they send out an auto reply to all emails giving the name of the person now handking their accounts etc. and refrain from answring as if it was you. be professional.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:56 PM

6,904 posts, read 22,613,132 times
Quote:
OK, OK, I get it. I'm doing something illegal. Gotcha. But, going back to my initial question and not taking into account my illegal activities, should I politely request that my name stop being used in email correspondence and that my account be deactivated?
Yes, you could politely request that they stop using your name, but don't give too much information or you may have bigger problems. From what you said though it doesn't sound like the boss knows how to do this or it would have already been done. Maybe you could offer an hours worth of work to fix it for him?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,298,178 times
It's also illegal to sign someone else's name to a document, including emails. Who suffers the greatest harm here?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,279,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Tell the old boss you were contacted personally by former clients and others becasue emails to you at that email address weren;t being properly answered. Explain that you don;t want to cause problems but people are under the impression that you still work there and are ignoring them and some claim they actually got emails from someone pretending to be you. Explain it would be a hit to their reputation if you had to inform them that someone is impresnating you. That wouldn;lt make the company look good. Suggest they send out an auto reply to all emails giving the name of the person now handking their accounts etc. and refrain from answring as if it was you. be professional.
Good post. Sounds like what I would do if I was in that position.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,310,688 times
Quote:
The only reason I ever thought to monitor this account was because our outside accountant who knew I was leaving the company contacted me via my personal email because I wouldn't directly answer her on the company email and asked if I changed my mind about leaving the company. She said she also called and was told I was "out." She was wondering why I didn't let her know I was still there since she was still receiving email from me.
Tell the boss that you checked the email and this is why. Then tell the boss that because of the confusion it is creating not only for your former clients, but for the company you left, that you would appreciate it if the company set up an auto-response or forward announcing your departure and forwarding all email to another address. If you have a LinkedIn account with contacts there, make sure you change your status, as well.

For the benefit of all, I'll add that when you leave a job, it's a good idea to sort this out before you go, and set up the auto response and forward yourself. "This is an automatic reply to let you know that I no longer work for XYZ Co. All future email concerning business we have done together should be sent to So-and-So at [address]. It has been a pleasure working with you."

It's also a good idea to tell people outside the company with whom you regularly worked (clients, customers, etc.) that you are leaving the company. I've notified the editorial board of every magazine I've worked on.

Not only is it good business, it leaves the door open for a future relationship, recommendations, job leads, etc.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:56 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,581,442 times
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I did try to notify the people that I corresponded with on a regular basis and most knew. What the problem is is that new clients that I have never had a relationship with are being told to email me. ??? I didn't think to bring up my email being closed when I left because it had always been done automatically when other employees left. However, this was before the owner took over. It seems like there are fewer and fewer emails coming in though. Maybe most have figured out what is going on.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,613,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I agree with this!!!

I also have a few other suggestions.

Change the signature if you can saying that you no longer work there.
Contact the distribution list that you no longer work there

I do believe that this is defaming you as they are using your name and screwing up.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
HI,

I think it is illegal. I have just left a job in which my email account was administered by the company, and they changed the password on the account, so that I have no access to it. I expect that they will use the account only to check on my former work, so that I will not delete anything in the past, and I do not expect that they will use my account to send out any emails impersonating me. My position with the company was that of Clinical and Regulatory Director, in which I was corresponding with government agencies. In general misrepresentation of identity is against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment