Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:21 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times

Advertisements

We have this girl at our work and she is pregnant and she is constantly on the cell phone and the internet and she talks to her husband constantly on that cell phone . Well today when she was asked how long does she intend to be gone after the baby is born , she told our boss "as long as possible and then some " in a snotty tone . Im sorry but does she not realize that she is putting her work load on her other co workers ? I do believe she abuses the family medical leave act . I think the government should have put a cap or some kind of time limit on fmla in order to keep employees from abusing it . I have heard my boss make comments about how he hoped she did not come back cause she is not that great of an employee . He told me once he has to have an okay from corporate to fire someone and they dont like when he has to fire cause it makes him look like a bad boss and then they threaten his job . There are quite a few women who have stated that if she comes back they are leaving and going to another department . I cant say as I blame them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM

580 posts, read 2,292,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
We have this girl at our work and she is pregnant and she is constantly on the cell phone and the internet and she talks to her husband constantly on that cell phone . Well today when she was asked how long does she intend to be gone after the baby is born , she told our boss "as long as possible and then some " in a snotty tone . Im sorry but does she not realize that she is putting her work load on her other co workers ? I do believe she abuses the family medical leave act . I think the government should have put a cap or some kind of time limit on fmla in order to keep employees from abusing it . I have heard my boss make comments about how he hoped she did not come back cause she is not that great of an employee . He told me once he has to have an okay from corporate to fire someone and they dont like when he has to fire cause it makes him look like a bad boss and then they threaten his job . There are quite a few women who have stated that if she comes back they are leaving and going to another department . I cant say as I blame them .
Well actually there is a limit: 12 weeks. But I know what you're saying. I once worked with somebody who used all of her FMLA each and every year. She was able to get it because she had "severe asthma." Funny how that didn't stop her from smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. The sad thing is most of these people who abuse FMLA know how to work the system and have no problem getting it. This in turn makes the rest of us have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to be considered for it even though we may have a legitimate use for it.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM

810 posts, read 1,762,999 times
I believe Fmla is abused at my previous job peole would leave claiming whatever they had fmla for (children, migranes etc) all the time.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I know that when I did unemployment claims, people who had that FMLA in their base period, were usually the ones who were calling me....they came back to work after the FMLA, but usually ended up being terminated or laid off for SOME reason...interesting coorelation?! My Mom took FMLA to take care of her Mother, she explained to me that she had plenty of sick leave she could use, I told her not to do it, that is was the kiss of death to her job...she had worked there for over 18 years...she laughed at me...and guess what....one year later she too, was filing for unemployment.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
I do think FMLA should have a maximum number of lifetime occurrences (perhaps 3 events, 24 weeks would be fair, as it would mean you cannot max it out three times), which would have to be tracked via SS records. The lone exemption I'd view as tolerable would be an additional 6 weeks per pregnancy, if, and only if, the employee had never taken it before o/s of their own pregnancy. If Susie is having her 4th kid, and she took FLMA for 1 or 2 events other than prior births, Susie could find a new job afterwards.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I believe Fmla is abused at my previous job peole would leave claiming whatever they had fmla for (children, migranes etc) all the time.
Are you sure they took FMLA? You can only go out for one issue. And you can't come back and go out again for something else. Normally it has to due with a family illness or tragedy.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
I used FMLA to care for my elderly father. I never abused it. I rarely used it.

I had hired a woman to care for him, but sometines my presence was necessary......like for doctors appointments, trips to the emergency room or when workers were required to be at his home and needed supervision, etc.

I would try to schedule his doctor appointments for the mornings.....since I worked afternoon turn.....but sometimes that wasn't possible.

When I had to take an afternoon appointment {couldn't wait days for a morning appointment}, I could come into work 15 minutes or an hour late without having to use a whole vacation day to cover it......and of course miss a whole day of work. So, instead of someone having to take on my workload for a whole day.....it would only be for a short time.

Not all people abuse FMLA.....I was glad I had it and it lessened the stress of caring for my elderly father.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times
I would not want to see FMLA caped for lifetime. Do some abuse it? Sure. Why punish someone who legitimately needs it.

I work with someone who has two children who suffer from Cerebral Paulsy. They have both needed multiple surgeries and care, and she has had to use a lot of FMLA leave over the years. She is also one of my best workers! I have no doubt her requests are legitimate and without FMLA she likely would not have been able to remain employed due the time needs for her kids.

Maybe there should be better documentation requirements?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
I've seen it abused at most places I've worked. There is always someone who tries to game the system. Most of the time the employer is looking for a reason to let them go.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I do think FMLA should have a maximum number of lifetime occurrences (perhaps 3 events, 24 weeks would be fair, as it would mean you cannot max it out three times), which would have to be tracked via SS records. The lone exemption I'd view as tolerable would be an additional 6 weeks per pregnancy, if, and only if, the employee had never taken it before o/s of their own pregnancy. If Susie is having her 4th kid, and she took FLMA for 1 or 2 events other than prior births, Susie could find a new job afterwards.
Ok, so what do you do about someone who may have a congenital defect that persists even through adulthood? Or someone with reoccurring cancer?

So if I've had 3 bouts of cancer between the ages of 18 to 35 and get pregnant at 36, I'm SOL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment