Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM

40 posts, read 170,069 times

Advertisements

Right now I am unemployed & recently interviewed for a so/so position in my career field (finance). What if, I get the job and a better opportunity comes around say within a month or two. I know it would look bad on me to leave, if it were to happen, but what are your thoughts on this? Would the newer employer even hire anyone knowing that person started working somewhere new within the past 1-2 months??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoxnano View Post
Right now I am unemployed & recently interviewed for a so/so position in my career field (finance). What if, I get the job and a better opportunity comes around say within a month or two. I know it would look bad on me to leave, if it were to happen, but what are your thoughts on this? Would the newer employer even hire anyone knowing that person started working somewhere new within the past 1-2 months??
I'd highly suggest you to think about that when it actually happens. There's no point adding the stress when you haven't even found a job yet.

To answer you directly, it doesn't really matter.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:12 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,641 times
Actually, I believe it does matter...

If your ditching a Company, after only 2 months, and your potential Empolyer sees this, they may think that when the next prospect comes along, you may do the same to them!

Though, they expect loyalty from their Employees, (and, some day I hope they reciprocate, but, just aint gonna happen), if they find you looking for a job, they wouldnt hesitate to terminate you in a hurry.
Especially only after a month or two!

And, if you list it on your Resume', the future Employers are going to think your not dependable enough to hire you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Actually, I believe it does matter...

If your ditching a Company, after only 2 months, and your potential Empolyer sees this, they may think that when the next prospect comes along, you may do the same to them!

Though, they expect loyalty from their Employees, (and, some day I hope they reciprocate, but, just aint gonna happen), if they find you looking for a job, they wouldnt hesitate to terminate you in a hurry.
Especially only after a month or two!

And, if you list it on your Resume', the future Employers are going to think your not dependable enough to hire you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
It doesn't matter.

If you current company finds out, they either terminate you or give you more money.

Your future company? Who cares? If they decide to hire you, then you are hired. If they don't, then they don't. In the business world, this kind of things happen all the time. At one time, I went through 3 different bosses in less than a year.

Think about something more productive than this hypothesis.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Some employers consider the first 60 days probationary, so probably won't hold it against you.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
a better opportunity comes around
It's a calculated risk. It depends how much better "better" is.

If if is a 5% raise, probably not.

What about a 25% raise and a ten minute commute compared to an existing 45 minute commute. Who wouldn't do that?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
Unless you have a history of short-term gigs, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe some employers will hold it against you, but most probably won't care so long as you can explain a good reason why you are still looking.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,741 times
don't even report it.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
I had such a job...but it didn't work out. I've never included it in my resume and not on an application either. However, if you applied for credit and listed this company on that application it will show up in a credit check if a potential employer pulls a report; in this scenario it would be best to include it in your work history.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:25 PM

379 posts, read 813,251 times
Quote:
Would the newer employer even hire anyone knowing that person started working somewhere new within the past 1-2 months??
They say it's better to be employed when looking for work. You could always say to the potential new employer about the current position, "It's not what I thought it would be."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment