Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,855,171 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about your co-workers?

I find most of the people I work with to be incredibly shallow and materialistic, very cocky and cliquish. The guys talk about sports, their new cars, sports, big screen tvs, sports, Ipads, and then sports again. The women gossip, badmouth people while whispering loudly (to the point where half of the office can hear them), and many of them hate each other.

It has been like that at EVERY office I've worked at. That is why I just concentrate on my work and don't make an effort to socialize with the others. But then I've been told that I'm not a "team player" because I keep to myself most of the time and just do my work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 01:20 PM

213 posts, read 1,108,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

I find most of the people I work with to be incredibly shallow and materialistic, very cocky and cliquish. The guys talk about sports, their new cars, sports, big screen tvs, sports, Ipads, and then sports again. The women gossip, badmouth people while whispering loudly (to the point where half of the office can hear them), and many of them hate each other.

It has been like that at EVERY office I've worked at. That is why I just concentrate on my work and don't make an effort to socialize with the others. But then I've been told that I'm not a "team player" because I keep to myself most of the time and just do my work.
Every job I have had so far, I have not liked the majority of my coworkers. I am looking forward to the day that I actually like my coworkers.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,425,175 times
It all depends. I have worked in toxic cesspools of back stabbing, and gossip. And I have worked at places that are cordial, with team cooperation focused on the objective. I much prefer the latter.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:04 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,249,539 times
Some of my coworkers I absolutely adore (thankfully this definitely includes my boss), while others I try to avoid like the plague. It's been a similar situation at every other job I've had.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,118,015 times
Quote:

You sound like someone who is normally not accepted no matter what environment you work in and you try to use what people talk about as an excuse. It's not normal to work at any job and not socialize with anyone.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:55 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,207,859 times
No, I don't like them but I do understand I cannot be an island at work.

I don't like to bothered in general but I "turn on" my happy face at work just so I can keep those clowns off my back. It works because they're so simple, doesn't take much to fool them.

The good thing is we don't have much time to pal around in my office. So I keep it cordial and keep it moving.

Quote:

Old 11-24-2011, 03:49 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,167,812 times
Default I do.

Everyone helpful and friendly. As a rule..I avoid the gossip machine, Focusing only on performance. I work alone in my department during my shift so this makes it easy.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,790,009 times
Usually it is mixed. My new job, I don't know what it is, but wow, nasty rude unbelievable. I have never had an enviroment like this. It can make the difference between enjoying your job or hating it.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM

811 posts, read 1,743,314 times
I work in Fairfield County area of Connecticut (greater NYC area) in financial services. There are quite a few type A personalities around. It's a mid size firm involved in high level wealth mgmt. Overall I really enjoy the people I work with. We're all generally young (24-33 avg.) and it's a collegial atmosphere. I think being of the same age range helps as we all know where each other is coming from and can relate to personal stories/situations. If a better opportunity presents itself, it will be hard to leave my current place b/c of the people and work environment.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,144,354 times
For the most part, people are decent. There are about one or two people who work there that aren't the brightest bulbs. Example: Someone freaking out because they have some paperwork for me and I had to go take a tinkle and they don't know where my inbox is. Uhhh...there is a black tray on my desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment