Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 AM

116 posts, read 233,075 times

Advertisements

Here is my problem. I am NOT a people person at all. I prefer to work alone, and be alone most of the time. I loathed working in groups in school. I'm not the happy go lucky, outgoing type ready to socialize with the world. I want to do what I do, and be left alone. But almost every career out there requires you to be a people person. Well, I like to deal with people on a short term basis, but not for too long or I will get irritated. I'm not a gloomy person, actually I'm a very happy person, this is just how I am, my personality I guess. I am just very introverted. Also, most careers that are for non-people persons usually deals with a lot of math which I am horrible at (and when I say horrible I mean I can barely calculate things in my head) But I do grasp most of the concepts quickly though. Weird eh? I figured I just don't have a mathematical mind. I feel that type of thinking is very systematic which is why I feel I am bad at it. Anyway most jobs are usually the techy jobs which involve math : ( I like the idea of them, but it's the math that holds me back. I love science though : ) I'm starting to think that there aren't any careers that I could truly be happy in : ( Which careers would you suggest? (P.S. I start college in January so I'm not actually in the job field yet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM

345 posts, read 996,015 times
My first thought is that you're putting limits on yourself. So, stop that.

Secondly, we know you don't like people or math. What do you like? What are your strengths? If you don't know, go to your college's testing department and take tests that will give you career ideas that match your strengths. Your college has an interest in educating you for a successful career, so take advantage of what it offers.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,928,808 times
Farming/ranching and truck driving are two careers which have very minimal interaction with others, but even in these occupations you'll have to interact with people some of the time. Ranchers have to work with buyers, grain sellers, neighbors, and veterinarians. Truck drivers have to work with dispatchers, warehousemen, and mechanics. I bet when you really think about all the occupations that are solitary, they won't seem very appealing.

To say that you hate group projects is meaningless. Everyone hates group projects, even outgoing people. Group projects are nothing like 'the real world'. At work, there are consequences for people who don't pull their weight or are bossy. Of course there are exceptions and some people get away with not doing their work, but the wonderful thing about being an adult is that you can just leave the job if that's the way it is, and find another job. Unlike high school where you are pretty much stuck at one school and in the class. Also in 'the real world', there is no advantage to employers putting people together who don't get along. Personality clashes are unproductive and disruptive and that cuts into their bottom line, so employers have every incentive to assign people to work together whose personalities and skills compliment one another. Most of us work with people every day, successfully, and yet could share horror stories about high school and group projects. Don't let your dislike about group projects define what you do for the rest of your life.

So instead of trying to imagine a career that guarantees you'll never have to interact with a person again, you should consider what occupations you have an aptitude for and then find a way to apply it. For example, a park ranger could work at the Statue of Liberty which sees thousands of visitors a year, or at Dry Tortugas State Park which receives only a few dozen and is inaccessible except by private boat. A business degree could be used to work at a Fortune-500 company or to run an internet business out of your basement. A veterinarian could work at a busy city clinic for family pets, or make house calls on large animals in the remote northwest. It's not the occupation that defines how you work, but what you do with it.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 AM

116 posts, read 233,075 times
Well i've been knowing for a while that i'm an intj. I can work well in groups i just prefer not to. And I know that in every job you're going to have to deal with people to a certain degree depending on the job. But there are also jobs where it is very minimal. I like science hate math. I also love to figure things out, and honestly I don't really know what else. I was hoping someone had some suggestion of careers for introverts who hate math.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,383,843 times
Since you like science, maybe you should look at a career working in a lab. While you will work with some people on a daily basis, you won't be surrounded by them all the time. CSI comes to mind when I think of people who do that kind of work, but universities and hospitals also have labs. I think universities probably have quite a few staff who prefer to work alone, even though most people think of a professor or someone who works there really likes people~~I disagree from those who I have worked with. Another option is computer science or an actuary. Get some career testing, but you have plenty of time if you are starting college in January. Make sure that you get a good counselor at your college.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,808,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Well i've been knowing for a while that i'm an intj. I can work well in groups i just prefer not to. And I know that in every job you're going to have to deal with people to a certain degree depending on the job. But there are also jobs where it is very minimal. I like science hate math. I also love to figure things out, and honestly I don't really know what else. I was hoping someone had some suggestion of careers for introverts who hate math.
Are you proficient in any other languages? If so, then translation work may be the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment