Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,975,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I understand. We're way offtopic.

OP, while I think this is a process issue and not an outsourcing/offshoring issue, I feel that it will improve in time.

As the world becomes flatter, processes will improve and we will learn how to prevent issues like this. There's no way to turn back globalization. All we can do is compete with it.
Process issue? One U.S. worker can achieve the same level of productiveity as 100 Chinese men. In the end, the Chinese product is cheaper. How can you compete with that? Most Americans in the private sector cannot. Those that can would have been living very differently 30 years ago, but scrape by today. Watch your children's lots in life shrink before your very eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,757,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Process issue? One U.S. worker can achieve the same level of productiveity as 100 Chinese men. In the end, the Chinese product is cheaper. How can you compete with that? Most Americans in the private sector cannot. Those that can would have been living very differently 30 years ago, but scrape by today. Watch your children's lots in life shrink before your very eyes.
This is just emotional brouhaha and nothing more.

Everybody knows that that is not true and you're merely spouting off derogatory rhetoric.

If Chinese men are really that useless, the executives and board of directors will already be looking elsewhere. Of course, you found the clairvoyance they have not found yet

Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Your numbers are very inaccurate. Please cite your sources.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM

249 posts, read 804,156 times
Hello, I'm just here at the Best Buy store trying to get an employee to help me. But all I get is this
21 year old twerp who is bitchin' to a co-worker about his mother and how she get's in his business.

When will this boy help me so I can buy a new computer???

Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,489,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is just emotional brouhaha and nothing more.

Everybody knows that that is not true and you're merely spouting off derogatory rhetoric.

If Chinese men are really that useless, the executives and board of directors will already be looking elsewhere. Of course, you found the clairvoyance they have not found yet
The Chinese are far from useless. That wasn't his point. His point is that American productivity is significantly better than that of China (at least at the current time). That being said the gap is coming down as China modernizes and we ship our industrial equipment over there.

Higher productivity is how Americans can be paid more, yet make products cheaper. If an American using technically advanced equipment can product 1000 widgets per hour but a Chinaman can only produce 50 by hand per hour, the American can get paid more. The problem is the companies have outsourced their large production plants to China and now the Chinese are making 1000 widgets per hour, so no American advantage. Presto, there goes an American job.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,757,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The Chinese are far from useless. That wasn't his point. His point is that American productivity is significantly better than that of China (at least at the current time). That being said the gap is coming down as China modernizes and we ship our industrial equipment over there.

Higher productivity is how Americans can be paid more, yet make products cheaper. If an American using technically advanced equipment can product 1000 widgets per hour but a Chinaman can only produce 50 by hand per hour, the American can get paid more. The problem is the companies have outsourced their large production plants to China and now the Chinese are making 1000 widgets per hour, so no American advantage. Presto, there goes an American job.
He equated 1 US worker to 100 Chinese workers. Tell me, what are you guys smoking out there? I'd love to get one

Old 12-02-2011, 10:19 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,642,504 times
Chinaman? Wow... that's kind of tacky.

People need to face that the world is flat-- and your competition is no longer the people in your own city, your own state, your own region, or your own country. When certain jobs are more expensive to ship offshore they will come back onshore. Happens every day. My own company saw certain jobs could be done BETTER in different countries than here in the US. They saw that other jobs were not done as well-- so they pulled those jobs back.

I can say one thing though-- I am sure that my own French coworkers are probably peeved that chunks of their work was "offshored" to the US. I am sure that the handful of big German companies down the street from me probably experienced the same resentment when they decided to produce here in the US versus back in their own country.

The company I am considering moving to in the next couple months is also an "offshore" production from England here in the US. Personally I have held onto the belief from what a Sr Executive told me approximately 6 years ago--- make sure you understand the business, industry, and niche you are in-- understand the entire end to end and how to think out of the box-- and your job will not be so easily outsourced or offshored. Jobs that can be broken down into silo'ed tasks will always be at risk to be either outsourced to another domestic company or offshored to a foreign one. This person's advice has benefited me greatly in my career and I imagine will continue to do so.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Chinaman? Wow... that's kind of tacky.

People need to face that the world is flat-- and your competition is no longer the people in your own city, your own state, your own region, or your own country. When certain jobs are more expensive to ship offshore they will come back onshore. Happens every day. My own company saw certain jobs could be done BETTER in different countries than here in the US. They saw that other jobs were not done as well-- so they pulled those jobs back.
I have no problem with jobs leaving the country if they are on a level playing field. My issues with China gaining the bulk of our manufacturing jobs are these:

1) China exhibits a protectionist attitude toward securing jobs. They require any company who wants to sell in China to produce the product there or be subject a 22% tariff. Exports into the US from China are taxed at 1.5%.

2) With almost a billion people to put to work they have very few labor and environmental laws. Striking is actually illegal. A large part of manufacturing product here in the US is those two subjects. It is not fair to the US citizen that their job is "off-shored" to a country with practically zero regulations and then the product is allowed back into the US. Why have those regs in place in the first place? Why not get rid of them and get the jobs back here?

3) China requires companies divulge trade secrets in order to sell their product in China. If they don't, China steals the intellectual property anyway.

4) China has been asked to stop the stealing of intellectual property for which they responded "tough". It's a predominantly Asian trait - they tend to do what they want however they want to. Laws don't mean much to them.

5) China keeps the value of their currency down to artificially keep their huge trade surplus. China is actually the richest nation on the planet in terms of foreign currency reserves, they are sucking everyone else dry.

That's just for starters, I'm going to bed.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
He equated 1 US worker to 100 Chinese workers. Tell me, what are you guys smoking out there? I'd love to get one
It's all about productivity go re-read what I wrote and get back to me. It was an exaggeration, I will give you that, but it's the point that is what matters.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:30 AM

29,856 posts, read 24,975,730 times
You people just don't get it. China has declared war on everything that made our economy stable. You sit back and you defend what is going on by saying, the world is flat... The Chinese government has a 5 year plan to start encroaching upon more advanced manufacturing. There goes your hydrolics, diesel, pneumatics, and even aerospace... The high value work that is actually worth something. The stuff that a country's GDP is made of.

I'm no economist, but how can you have a sound economy when you are spending more than you are taking in? As a country, it looks like we are going to find out! My guess is it won't be pretty, and it will be slim pickings for the scraps. Hope the future generations can get by on unemployment checks and welfare, until that is no longer viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment