Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:41 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

Just had another mandatory meeting at work, and that time-worn intimidating line came up once again: You do know, there's lots of people looking for work today! How long is this deluded thinking going to go on and on????

So tired of it! And, working in a LTC/Rehab facility, we recently didn't pass our State Survey, receiving a 90-day suspension for receiving Medicare/Medicaid patients.

Duh! Could it be that they're only paying the I-could-care-less New Hires $10 an hour w/2 hours PTO time every 2 weeks, who may or may not change a patient's diaper once every 8-hour shift, may or may not do their charting required every shift, call in sick the last minute leaving the facility short-staffed, have anything to do with it?

Yup, there's lots of people looking for work today, don't insult my intelligence, and go ahead, replace us older workers with New Hires, and see how well you do on next year's state survey! Perhaps next year, they'll even condemn the building and bar it up for good!

Anyone else getting tired of hearing that line?

Flashback to the Black Plague in Europe, where 1/3 of the population died.

"Please don't leave, Please! I apologize! I'll never say it again, I'll give you a raise! That' okey-dokey with me if you come 3 hours late for work and leave 2 hours early, I'll pay you for 8 hours and pay your rent next month!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 02:07 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just had another mandatory meeting at work, and that time-worn intimidating line came up once again: You do know, there's lots of people looking for work today! How long is this deluded thinking going to go on and on????

So tired of it! And, working in a LTC/Rehab facility, we recently didn't pass our State Survey, receiving a 90-day suspension for receiving Medicare/Medicaid patients.

Duh! Could it be that they're only paying the I-could-care-less New Hires $10 an hour w/2 hours PTO time every 2 weeks, who may or may not change a patient's diaper once every 8-hour shift, may or may not do their charting required every shift, call in sick the last minute leaving the facility short-staffed, have anything to do with it?

Yup, there's lots of people looking for work today, don't insult my intelligence, and go ahead, replace us older workers with New Hires, and see how well you do on next year's state survey! Perhaps next year, they'll even condemn the building and bar it up for good!

"Please don't leave, Please! I apologize! I'll never say it again, I'll give you a raise! That' okey-dokey with me if you come 3 hours late for work and leave 2 hours early, I'll pay you for 8 hours and pay your rent next month!"
I'm still steamed that there's just some people who can't put up with a measly 8-hour shift of anything really.
Changing diapers, cleaning toilets, doing all sorts of things of gross-out nature. If it only meant 8 hrs/day with occasional OT, then that's a sweet shift.
Instead I've been dealing with 12+ shifts on all my jobs for the past 4 years and it tears me up.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'm still steamed that there's just some people who can't put up with a measly 8-hour shift of anything really.
Changing diapers, cleaning toilets, doing all sorts of things of gross-out nature. If it only meant 8 hrs/day with occasional OT, then that's a sweet shift.
Instead I've been dealing with 12+ shifts on all my jobs for the past 4 years and it tears me up.
what? and why? Working 1/3rd your day isn't ideal. 1/2 isn't healthy.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
We don't even work 8 hours shifts anymore at our facility. There used to be a half-hour overlap with the shifts, they discontinued it, so now we're paid for 7 and a half hours/37 1/2 hours a week/1/2 hour lunch breaks.

No wage increase going on 3 years now, insurance premiums will be $40 a month higher next year (translated: pay cut), increasing demands, but I'm just so tickled just to have a job!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-16-2011 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-16-2011, 04:16 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:

Yes, I work in the financial industry ( investment)-our company refuses to hire anyone-we have a team of 4 doing the work on 7-I'm burned out and do not know how much longet I can take it. I'm under a tremendous amount of stress and what does the company tell us "well if you don't like your job go find something else." It makes me sick....

Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Default Heck, it's not 1950 anymore for sure

They use this to punish people at my husband's job in his department. They basically go through their workers and 'ream' one of them verbally every few days to every few weeks, usually in front of others to scare them into working unrealistically harder.

My husband was hired in the Spring in a very poorly run department of this company. They are known (the manager and supervisior) all over the organization as nasty people to work for and often remark to my husband that anyone else who did his job prior has been fired.

His boss CONSTANTLY complains to my husband about the people she manages, including one of his coworkers who is a lazy and unmotivated crybaby. While my husband runs around stressed, this guy goofs off. The manager refuses to do more than lecture the guy. Meanwhile if my husband says ANYTHING he is told to work harder and she isn't interested in HIS
excuses.

A good manager tries to unite a department not make people take sides or cause friction. I learned that in Managerial Class 101. Most people who are managers now have NO CLUE how to deal with people and have few soft skills themselves.

He lives in constant fear of being back on the chopping block.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
I find myself saying it, but how many of those people looking for jobs are qualified for the jobs available? I've seen companies go the route of hiring cheap labor. They save a few bucks an hour, and loose a bundle in damage, mistakes, lost productivity, etc. After awhile, they learn. Managers love to point to the number of people out of work, but finding the right worker for the job is simply not that easy even today.

I'm happy where I'm at. As long as the job is done honestly, I don't hear a peep out of management. I could earn more elsewhere, but I'm in no mood for all the B.S. that goes with it.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
There are lots of workers looking for work. How about hiring some who have better work habits? It's about time for firms to end the hemming and hawing and get around to the hiring.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:02 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There are lots of workers looking for work. How about hiring some who have better work habits? It's about time for firms to end the hemming and hawing and get around to the hiring.

I agree...I don't know what the answer is. All I know is in 2012-I'm going back to school and learning a skill-I'm going into healthcare I think-if I'm going to be under this much stress please pay me a decent amount at least....

Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 PM

831 posts, read 2,827,112 times
Quote:

Duh! Could it be that they're only paying the I-could-care-less New Hires $10 an hour
Hey!
Most of those new hires do care.
Nobody wants to work for a low salary obviously, but we take what we can get.
When you send out many many applications and finally get a response/offer, you take it. Younger people have to start somewhere.

I lost my job and got a internship offer of $9.00/hr. I had to take it, but now my salary has increased after 6 months.

Thank god I didn't pass it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment