Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times

Advertisements

I saw the post about why the person didn't hire someone and that gave me an idea for this post.

I get interviews quite often and get some really funny reasons why I didn't get the job, or funny statements being said during the interview.

What has happened to you?

Here are some of my favorite:

"But you're like old enough to be my mom"
"You're over confident" followed by "You lack confidence"
"You'll want my job soon"

Best questions asked during an interview:
"Who would your partner say you look like first thing in the morning?"
"Will you sacrifice your child for this job?"
"If I don't hire you, will you go to dinner with me?"
"How would you respond to this statement: You look and smell like a camel.?"
"Sell me this piece of paper in the next 30 seconds"
"Do you feel comfortable talking about sex?" -- This was for a dishwasher job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,219 times
Never got asked or told any of those, I usually have received the standard, "although you have great skills, we decided to go with someone who better fit the skills we are currently seeking, we will keep your resume on file...blah blah blah"

Did have an interviewer for a sales position long ago (back when I was younger and very inexperienced, was a commission only job) mention to me that I was quite bald for being so young??

Really? I hadn't noticed

Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,620 times
Thank you for your interest unfortunately we have selected another candidate that better meets our needs, we will keep your resume on file should further opportunities arise.

What they really meant is...

Yeah man, we were going to hire you but then this really hot babe walked in and applied.

Heh, yeah, she was hired before the interview began.

Although she has no experience and I'm gonna to have to spend a lot of time training her. It think she has a better fit here in our office if you know what I mean.

later Dude!

Add to my reputation if you agree

Old 01-12-2012, 04:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
When I have actually been given a reason? The position is not funded. The project we hoped to get did not.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
"You dress too Northern."

That was the actual reason given to me by a potential employer in Florida.

What did that mean? I have no idea.

If I had been in all black with tons of makeup and huge hair I could call it "Jersey Girl" but I was wearing a conservative navy blue suit, cream blouse, navy pumps, my makeup and hair were conservative. Pearl stud earrings and a simple watch were my only jewelry. The ultimate "interview uniform" if you will.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Never got asked or told any of those, I usually have received the standard, "although you have great skills, we decided to go with someone who better fit the skills we are currently seeking, we will keep your resume on file...blah blah blah"

Did have an interviewer for a sales position long ago (back when I was younger and very inexperienced, was a commission only job) mention to me that I was quite bald for being so young??

Really? I hadn't noticed
Yep! Sounds familiar!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I saw the post about why the person didn't hire someone and that gave me an idea for this post.

I get interviews quite often and get some really funny reasons why I didn't get the job, or funny statements being said during the interview.

What has happened to you?

Here are some of my favorite:

"But you're like old enough to be my mom"
"You're over confident" followed by "You lack confidence"
"You'll want my job soon"

Best questions asked during an interview:
"Who would your partner say you look like first thing in the morning?"
"Will you sacrifice your child for this job?"
"If I don't hire you, will you go to dinner with me?"
"How would you respond to this statement: You look and smell like a camel.?"
"Sell me this piece of paper in the next 30 seconds"
"Do you feel comfortable talking about sex?" -- This was for a dishwasher job
This is very interesting because the only reason I have ever been given for not getting a job was "we found someone that met our needs better" or "...met our qualifications better", or "is a better candidate".

There have been a few times too, when I have cut my own throat at an interview which I KNEW was the reason I didn't get the job. (for instance, it's a bad idea to tell your interviewer that the receptionist is an incompetent bi@tch (not those words exactly, of course, but the meaning was the same)). So that's why I didn't get *that* one. LOL

I think people are so worried about discrimination lawsuits these days that the HR department has very strict guidelines about what they can and cannot say.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

812 posts, read 736,553 times
I have never actually been given a reason....I get hired, or I never hear from them again.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We don't give a reason at all, we simply say that we are sorry but selected someone else. If asked we might say that we though someone else was better qualified and leave it at that. We do keep the resumes "on file" in our system but one would have to apply again for each opening, though they could use the same resume.

Some of those lame reasons and questions show a definite lack of professionalism, you are better off not working at those places.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 PM

78 posts, read 313,554 times
I see you have been employed with 5 companies in the last 5 years, what makes me think you would be with our company a year from now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment