Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times

Advertisements

Would you say that networking has increased in importance in recent years, especially for "middle class" (full-time, salaried) jobs?

I am aware that "connections" are more important in some cultures than others. In the inter-cultural literature, the U.S. is usually listed as a country where social transactions pertaining to business are based primarily on merit - "who you are" rather than "who you know". Yet everybody is talking about "networking" these days, and from that it seems to be more important than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

If this is indeed true, what explains this phenomenon? What implications could an increased reliance on "networking" have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,404,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Would you say that networking has increased in importance in recent years, especially for "middle class" (full-time, salaried) jobs?

I am aware that "connections" are more important in some cultures than others. In the inter-cultural literature, the U.S. is usually listed as a country where social transactions pertaining to business are based primarily on merit - "who you are" rather than "who you know". Yet everybody is talking about "networking" these days, and from that it seems to be more important than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

If this is indeed true, what explains this phenomenon? What implications could an increased reliance on "networking" have?
Networking is one buzzword that I wish would buzz off. It's annoying...what happened to judging someone whether they can do a particular job without slacking off, spreading gossip or brown-nosing their way to the top?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,917,101 times
Networking is no more important than before. In fact, I'd say it's less important--so many companies have strict requirements about screening candidates, and any credential can easily be verified. Fifty years ago or even twenty years ago, employers were a lot more likely to hire someone's nephew or a friend, and it was much harder to verify jobs and college degrees and certificates.

The only difference is that social networking makes it easier to see that part of networking online. But don't confuse social networking with professional networking. Professional networking is more than just clicking 'connect' or 'accept'. A few clicks isn't going to solidify a relationship to the point that they would recommend you for a job or introduce you to a potential client. Your network has to be nurtured. Ask them how their career is going, and offer to help them with something. Stay in touch with them over the years. THAT'S a network.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Networking is no more important than before. In fact, I'd say it's less important--so many companies have strict requirements about screening candidates, and any credential can easily be verified. Fifty years ago or even twenty years ago, employers were a lot more likely to hire someone's nephew or a friend, and it was much harder to verify jobs and college degrees and certificates.

The only difference is that social networking makes it easier to see that part of networking online. But don't confuse social networking with professional networking. Professional networking is more than just clicking 'connect' or 'accept'. A few clicks isn't going to solidify a relationship to the point that they would recommend you for a job or introduce you to a potential client. Your network has to be nurtured. Ask them how their career is going, and offer to help them with something. Stay in touch with them over the years. THAT'S a network.
And that's where I confused Facebook and Linkedin. It was no reason for me to add a bunch of my old coworkers who were laid off with me. So now my Facebook is strictly for entertainment and my Linkedin page is for networking.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Networking is crucial. Many jobs are never publicly posted, if you don't hear about them through the grapevine you won't even apply, let alone get hired.

Having someone who can put your resume on the desk of a hiring manager with a personal recommendation gives a huge leg up.

A few months back a business associate passed along the resume of someone they knew who was looking for a job, and asked if I might have a suitable opening. I didn't, but a week later I heard of a "perfect fit" opening (not published) at another company and was able to give the details to my associate who passed them on to the job seeker. About a month later I heard he got the job. If it wasn't for his extended network, he most likely never would ahve heard about the job, let alone been hired for it.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Networking is crucial. Many jobs are never publicly posted, if you don't hear about them through the grapevine you won't even apply, let alone get hired.

Having someone who can put your resume on the desk of a hiring manager with a personal recommendation gives a huge leg up.
I'll add to that only by commenting that "networking" has been around forever. Just a new catch-all name in a new internet era.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,363 times
networking is more important then what you are and what you can do.. if you know someone in a high place you can get the job no matter how bad(immoral),unqualified or stupid you are..

Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,167,316 times
Networking is no more important today than it was 20 years ago. Not much has changed. Use it in the same fashion you would have in the past. To get your foot in the door. You can't fight nature. Nature has it so that we look out for those we know. To go against the rules of nature is stupid.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM

143 posts, read 378,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Networking is one buzzword that I wish would buzz off. It's annoying...what happened to judging someone whether they can do a particular job without slacking off, spreading gossip or brown-nosing their way to the top?
A lot of times networking isn't about this at all. A lot of times it is about knowing that a person can do the job well, because a personal recommendation from someone is a better indicator of that than seeing it on paper

Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Networking is no more important today than it was 20 years ago.
I disagree. 20 years ago you might have had five people competing for a job, Today you might have 200. To be able to go from being one in 200 because you know someone is much more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment